Old 05-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Pen

Default Considering a rose

Sounds as if the hardiness is similar to some of the tea roses I've
planted. Most dies to the ground in winter but won't come back at all
if we get a few days below -40*C. I will do a search for Explorer
roses and hopefully, there's something more ideal for me. Thank you
for the lead.

Pen

Don Juan is a very nice rose. It is so nice that some grow it as
an annual. It is definitely not cane hardy in zone 4. I have
seen it grown as a bush or very short pillar here in MN z4a. In
some locations it will freeze to the snow or mulch line and in
others it will just die.

If you want a climber that you do not have to take down and will
get bigger from year to year in zone 4, you should look at the
"climbers" from AG Canada. John Cabot is a good one. If Powdery
Mildew is not a problem for roses in your area, then John Davis
is another very good climber. The catalog from Pickering Roses
used to have the very hardy climbers marked in the listing.
Almost all were the AG Canada Explorers and a few others. The
others were mainly once blooming.

Regards,

Charles

Considering a rose Pen Roses 0 05-01-2005 12:25 AM
Considering a rose Pen Roses 0 05-01-2005 12:25 AM
Considering a rose Pen Roses 5 30-12-2004 10:49 PM
Considering a rose Pen Roses 0 25-12-2004 09:32 PM
Considering a rose Pen Roses 0 25-12-2004 09:32 PM