Old 06-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Mindy Wallace

Default Knees becoming a problem

My knees have just about had it as far as gardening or seriously
cleaning any type of floor. What does everybody do to cut down on the
strain? Do you kneel on something, or squat, or use a short stool?
TIA
Mindy
Old 06-01-2005, 08:41 PM
William Brown

Get some knee pads, such as these:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/56254.asp

Actually, if you do a search at that site for knee pads, they have a
number, including one specifically for gardening. I bought a pair for
far less at Home Depot, but they are cheaply made and never worked well.

Mindy Wallace wrote:
My knees have just about had it as far as gardening or seriously
cleaning any type of floor. What does everybody do to cut down on the
strain? Do you kneel on something, or squat, or use a short stool?
TIA
Mindy

there.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Timothy

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:31:46 +0000, Mindy Wallace wrote:

My knees have just about had it as far as gardening or seriously cleaning
any type of floor. What does everybody do to cut down on the strain? Do
you kneel on something, or squat, or use a short stool? TIA
Mindy

Most any brand of knee pad should do. I personally use general contractor
gel filled pads. I suggest that you put on the pads and try them out
before you buy them. Wearing a ill fitting pair of pads is almost worse
than not wearing pads at all.
Good luck.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com
Old 06-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Anonny Moose

"Mindy Wallace" wrote in message
My knees have just about had it as far as gardening or seriously
cleaning any type of floor. What does everybody do to cut down on the
strain? Do you kneel on something, or squat, or use a short stool?
TIA
Mindy

I get the double whammy - both knees and back are shot. I use knee pads
(construction type) and limit the up and down movement by "walking" on my
knees, or I use a kneeler-stool that gives me something to push off to stand
up. Sometimes just doing my weeding from a sitting position works better and
the stool is good for that.
Karen

Old 06-01-2005, 09:47 PM
news.comcast.giganews.com

Mindy Wallace wrote:
My knees have just about had it as far as gardening or seriously
cleaning any type of floor. What does everybody do to cut down on the
strain? Do you kneel on something, or squat, or use a short stool?

If it's a solid, even surface, knee pads can help. But nothing beats
sitting down. If you get on your knees, they may not be passing the
weight through to your lower legs, but they're still supporting your
weight. If you still have enough flexibility, you may be able to lean
back far enough for your butt to rest on your heals, but that stretch is
something you'll feel the next day!

Inside I find chairs, foot stools, coffee tables... anything near. The
rest of the time I find ways to avoid too much bending. You won't see me
scrubbing a whole room's floor by hand. I'll use a mop on a handle. I'll
only get down for a very small section, like a particular stain.

Outside I have a couple of different stools on wheels. But I still find
myself not doing things because the stool is too far away. I'm
considering getting one of those milking stools you strap on your own
butt. You essentially have a seat with a pole, and a spring at the
bottom of the pole. Your weight is supported by the pole, and your knees
and legs only provide stability. In theory. Like I said, I'm considering
getting one. I don't have any actual experience with one yet.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Compare the newest tax preparation software apps:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/taxes/index.html

Old 06-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Tex John

Happens to all (or most) of us sooner or later.

Two points:

1) Find a nice retired gent to build you an 18" cube plywood box with
cut-outs for your hands to grab it by. Only 5 sides of course. Then, sit,
lift a bit, grab, and scoot sideways. In that case, if you are like me and
it is past a certain point where they start hurting, the two of you could
measure how far you can lower your bum without your knees hurting and then
custom build it to just the right height.

But that means your back hurts less than your knees which isn't always true
for me. In that case:

2) Start raising your beds -- seriously. I even have an old gardening book
around here that was showing a food-type gardening method someone paid for
when she was just too old to bend over at all but refused to give up her
garden: 4' wide by x' long by 3' high and they were BRICKED up that high!
Even in black and white it was a very impressive looking garden. They noted
the same idea could apply to someone in a wheel chair, too...just not the
full 4' wide if the person couldn't bend over that far. I'm not that bad
off, but I do have most of my bigger pots raised one way or other (on a
bench, shelf or even just an old cinder block).

Course I had a great-aunt that had one knee replaced probably 15 years ago.
She was so happy that it quit hurting she got the other one done, too :)

John

Old 07-01-2005, 01:52 AM
David Ross

Mindy Wallace wrote:

My knees have just about had it as far as gardening or seriously
cleaning any type of floor. What does everybody do to cut down on the
strain? Do you kneel on something, or squat, or use a short stool?
TIA
Mindy

Go to my gardening tools page at
http://www.rossde.com/garden/tools.html. Scroll down a little
bit more than half-way to "step".

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 07-01-2005, 03:39 AM
vincent p. norris

My knees have just about had it as far as gardening or seriously
cleaning any type of floor. What does everybody do to cut down on the
strain?

I found an old 2 X 6. I cut into four pieces, each a little over a
foot long. I then nailed them together to make a rectangle.

I sit on it. Because it rests on a piece of wood about 2 X 6 X 14",
rather than legs, it does not sink into soft soil. It's easy to pick
up and move.

vince norris
Old 07-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Tom Line

: My knees have just about had it as far as gardening or seriously
: cleaning any type of floor. What does everybody do to cut down on the
: strain? Do you kneel on something, or squat, or use a short stool?
: TIA
: Mindy

I like to use one of those 12" plastic milk carton crates. Make perfect
size to sit on to work on low stuff, and you can flip them over and carry
your stuff in them. Could probably tie a tool box to the side.

Old 07-01-2005, 04:49 PM
starlord

Have had bad knees since the days of being in the Army, what I use?
ASPRIN.

--

SIAR
www.starlords.org

Old 07-01-2005, 09:12 PM
raycruzer

starlord wrote:
Have had bad knees since the days of being in the Army, what I use?
ASPRIN.

--

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"Mindy Wallace" wrote in message
My knees have just about had it as far as gardening or seriously
cleaning any type of floor. What does everybody do to cut down on

the
strain? Do you kneel on something, or squat, or use a short stool?
TIA
Mindy

There are a number of long handled tools that are listed on the World
of Weeds website at www.ergonica.com. Some of these can be used either
standing up or sitting down.