GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bare root roses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/88848-re-bare-root-roses.html)

Gail Futoran 16-01-2005 07:34 PM

Bare root roses

"Hound Dog" wrote in message
I live in Northern Texas (Zone 7) and would like to know how late one can
plant bare root roses in my area and expect them to take hold and do well.

Thanks

My experience here in Southcentral TX (San Antonio
area) is that it's the summer heat that's the problem for
bareroots. I'd plant them as soon as you can work the
ground easily and then keep them watered well unless
you get a lot of rain, then don't bother.

If you can find some seaweed, I find that makes a
great addition to a transplant. Works a lot like root
stimulator. Here's one site I found that mentions
seaweed:
http://www.brackengardens.com/barerootnewpage.cfm

If you do a google search on "seaweed for roses"
you can find other links that cover not just seaweed
but also planting information.

HTH - Gail