Old 18-01-2005, 06:37 AM
Hound Dog

Default New Generation Roses from Jackson & Perkins

I am buying some of these new self root roses from J&P.

I would like to hear from anyone who has any experience with them. I am
mostly interested in propagating new stock from cuttings.

Pros? Cons?

Old 19-01-2005, 06:26 AM
Charles Perry

Hound Dog wrote:

...I would like to hear from anyone who has any experience with them. I am
mostly interested in propagating new stock from cuttings...

I have a few. In general they were nice healthy plants all
though a little smaller than the ordinary run of J&P rose
plants. Here in the North, there is some possible advantage to
having roses on their own root because you do not have to worry
about die back to the rootstock and ending up with an unwanted
plant. If it makes it through the winter, it will be the variety
you planted.

If you are in a moderate climate with average soil, it probably
doesn't make much difference. If you have alkaline soil, you are
probably better off with roses on Dr Huey rootstock. If you have
acid soil, you might find that roses on Multiflora rootstock do
better. Some roses don't do well on their own roots because they
need a boost from a vigorous rootstock. However, I suspect that
J&P will continue to sell those varities grafted or drop them
from the catalog.

Many of the New Generation roses are still under patent. It would
not be legal to take cuttings from the patented roses. However,
the fact that J&P sells an own root variety is a pretty good
indication that variety will grow OK on its own roots. At least
it will root and grow well where the J&P production fields are
located.

Regards,

Charles
--

Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **