Old 11-02-2005, 09:55 PM
ed

Default go away winter...aarrrggghhhhh

I had to stop myself from going to the store to get my alfalfa meal, cotton
seed meal, fish oil, and epsom salts....if I got it, I'll be tempted to use
it.......gotta wait another month.....aaarrrgghhhh....

ed in winston salem nc

Old 11-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Charles Perry

ed wrote:

....gotta wait another month.....aaarrrgghhhh....

Well, if it will make you feel any better, that first fertilizer
application is a first week of May chore up here in tropical
Minnesota. Two and a half months + for zone 4a and North.

Regards,

Charles
--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Old 14-02-2005, 01:56 AM
Gail Futoran

"ed" wrote in message
m...
I had to stop myself from going to the store to get my alfalfa meal, cotton
seed meal, fish oil, and epsom salts....if I got it, I'll be tempted to use
it.......gotta wait another month.....aaarrrgghhhh....

ed in winston salem nc

Well, I've already bought my replacement roses for
plants that died, but I'm leaving them in pots probably
until March. I know the feeling - it's practically
Spring around here!

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 14-02-2005, 03:19 AM
clancy

how do you mix this - and it's really good for roses? I have so many rose
bushes around the property and would really love to make sure they live a
good long time.

Clancy

m...

Old 17-02-2005, 03:26 PM
torgo

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:56:22 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

Well, I've already bought my replacement roses for
plants that died, but I'm leaving them in pots probably
until March. I know the feeling - it's practically
Spring around here!

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

I'm ordering some of my replacements this weekend. That ice storm a
few weeks ago did in quite a few rose bushes.

The roses survived the ice itself with no problems, and it didn't get
cold enough to jeopardize anything. But the freezing rain brought
down a pine tree, which obliterated most of two rose beds when it
fell.

You can spray for pests and disease, but you can't spray for
gravity...

Old 17-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Gail Futoran

"clancy" wrote in message
how do you mix this - and it's really good for roses? I have so many rose
bushes around the property and would really love to make sure they live a
good long time.

Clancy

"ed" wrote in message
m...
I had to stop myself from going to the store to get my alfalfa meal,

cotton
seed meal, fish oil, and epsom salts....if I got it, I'll be tempted to

use
it.......gotta wait another month.....aaarrrgghhhh....

ed in winston salem nc

Everybody has different recipes, some use the alfalfa
meal dry mixed into the soil, some mix it with water. I do
alfalfa tea, which is basically 10-12 cups alfalfa pellets in
30 gallons of water (I use garbage cans), about a cup of
Epsom salts, and I think about a half cup of chelated iron.
Let it sit until it gets stinky (depends on weather), then
put about 1 gallon on each plant. I put two gallons on
climbers, less than a gal. on minis and small or new roses.

That's twice a year, spring and fall. I have 150 roses
and it takes time to get all the roses fed. In between I
spray with seaweed and even use Peters or Miracle Gro.
The beds get compost at least once a year, and that's
an easy source of nutrients for roses.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA Zone 8

Old 17-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Gail Futoran

"torgo" wrote
I'm ordering some of my replacements this weekend. That ice storm a
few weeks ago did in quite a few rose bushes.

The roses survived the ice itself with no problems, and it didn't get
cold enough to jeopardize anything. But the freezing rain brought
down a pine tree, which obliterated most of two rose beds when it
fell.

Oh no! I do have one tree that might be a hazard to
a rose arbor, but the rest of the roses are in an open
area. We've had flooding that lasted for days but
most of my roses are in raised beds and so far have
survived.

You can spray for pests and disease, but you can't spray for
gravity...

True, very true...

Gail

Old 17-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Rogerx

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:12:31 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"clancy" wrote in message
how do you mix this - and it's really good for roses? I have so many rose
bushes around the property and would really love to make sure they live a
good long time.

Clancy

"ed" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I remember if it was Gail or Sunflower that got me started using
Alfalfa a few years back, but I am definitely a believer.

I do not use Epsom salts, or Iron because I have not had a
professional soil test (only those cheap kits) and I water with well
water that has a ph of 6.2(acid).

At first I did much as Gail does, except, not with the precision she
recommends. I simply dumped a couple gallons of Alfalfa pellets into
a trash can, ran it about 2/3 full of water, put the lid on it and
left it out side. At first the pellets sank in the water, then they
swelled and floated, the second or third day they sank again and a
thick foam formed on top, and a "bad" odor.

Last year I simply mulched twice with the Alfalfa pelets. Over time
they simply dissolve and blended in with the other mulch. (I would
definitely recommend the first application be Tea though

One CAUTION about Alfalfa pelets. There are some that have molasses
added. The ones that are formulated for Rabbits and Horses. Make
sure they are 100% Alfalfa. The Molasses will attract every kind of
insect you can think of including ants and others.

Have a good day: Rogerx

Old 17-02-2005, 11:31 PM
JimS.

"Rogerx" wrote in message

Last year I simply mulched twice with the Alfalfa pelets. Over time
they simply dissolve and blended in with the other mulch. (I would
definitely recommend the first application be Tea though

One CAUTION about Alfalfa pelets. There are some that have molasses
added. The ones that are formulated for Rabbits and Horses. Make
sure they are 100% Alfalfa. The Molasses will attract every kind of
insect you can think of including ants and others.

Have a good day: Rogerx

Does this work with Alfalfa meal also? I have tons of the meal but I
haven't bought pellets. I would think it would be the same thing?

JimS.
Seattle