Old 12-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Burt Smith

Default I D Tag Wires

HI All,
New here.
Prunung roses is a great time to ponder the mysteries of the universe.
Today's question is: Why is it that nearly always the cane that the name tag
is on will be the one that dries up, dies and has to be cut off. The wire is
always quite loose; no damage visible to the cane at all. Could it be a
metal
reaction? Or maybe some kind of electrical something created by the loop
of wire. I have about 40 roses and this has happened on nearly all of them.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Burt
Old 13-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Martin

Hi Burt,

On most modern rose bushes all stems have a finite life span 2 to 4 years on
average. The rose name tag is invariably attached to the first and therefore
the oldest stem which is destined to die first. That's the theory but I have
not carried out any tests on this, maybe I will do so as like you I believe
there may be more to it.

Regards

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster

Email:
Web Site:
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

. com...

Old 13-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Burt Smith

Thanks Martin,
I'll keep looking. Maybe we can figure it out.
Burt

Old 17-02-2005, 03:26 PM
torgo

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:15:56 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"
wrote:

Hi Burt,

On most modern rose bushes all stems have a finite life span 2 to 4 years on
average. The rose name tag is invariably attached to the first and therefore
the oldest stem which is destined to die first. That's the theory but I have
not carried out any tests on this, maybe I will do so as like you I believe
there may be more to it.

I like this theory - it suggests that maybe it's not my fault when
canes die...