Old 17-02-2005, 12:01 AM
Rogerx

Default PINK DON JUAN!!, Yep, got me one today.

It is my oath every year to NOT buy bare root roses at one of the
local discount stores- - -But it doesn't hurt to look, does it?
But the second time I looked, I had seven in my basket headed for the
checkout.

One of them is a Pink Don Juan (I hope). Has anyone had any
experience with the pink variety? Is it a mutate of the original(red)
or does it have different parentage.

This whole rose thing is getting out of hand with me, I think. I have
20 roses, I have always had 20 roses, only buy replacements. I have
a 150 ft white tubular fence with automatic waters at every other
post, this is where I have my roses. Besides about 1 hour spraying
each week, they are very easy to keep(except at times).

Now, right smackdab in the middle of my front yard I have a huge
flower bed. 4ft x 50ft in full sun. Over the years I have used it to
plant my annuals in. It is raised about 6" with white ornamental
concret, with a white Crape Myrtal at either end. WHAT A ROSE GARDEN
THIS WOULD MAKE!

This was what I was thinking when I bought the seven roses. But the
question I never ask my self is !!WHAT WOULD IT TAKE TO PLANT AND
MAINTAIN A "SHANGRI-LA" LIKE THIS???? To say nothing about the cost of
50+ roses. WHY! I'd have to quit my day job(if I had one). But since
I don't- -think I should go for it???

Guess I'd better quit my rambling(rose)- -You young folks don't
remember that song, betcha' Roger x

Old 17-02-2005, 05:56 AM
JimS.

"Rogerx" wrote in message
It is my oath every year to NOT buy bare root roses at one of the
local discount stores- - -But it doesn't hurt to look, does it?
But the second time I looked, I had seven in my basket headed for the
checkout.

Sounds perfectly normal to me.....(everyone nodding 'uh huh' now....).
Swearing off discount store bagged roses is a lot like a late New Years
resolution-- and just as equally made to be broken!

Now, right smackdab in the middle of my front yard I have a huge
flower bed. 4ft x 50ft in full sun. Over the years I have used it to
plant my annuals in. It is raised about 6" with white ornamental
concret, with a white Crape Myrtal at either end. WHAT A ROSE GARDEN
THIS WOULD MAKE!

All I can say is, "Gee, Roger, what took you SO LONG to covet that great
bed???

Planting roses is not unlike how your lifestyle often expands to just
slightly exceed your income.
Only running out of garden space makes you stop buying them. And that
doesn't do it either.
You run out of places to put the ones that you're waiting to plant because
you can't find anywhere to put 'em.
THAT'S when you stop buying roses......and start to dig up the old
ones.....!

JimS.
Seattle
Z8....and owner of a brand new 20 ft raised box just waiting to be planted,
any day now....

Old 17-02-2005, 03:26 PM
torgo

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:01:03 -0600, Rogerx wrote:

This whole rose thing is getting out of hand with me, I think. I have
20 roses, I have always had 20 roses, only buy replacements. I have
a 150 ft white tubular fence with automatic waters at every other
post, this is where I have my roses. Besides about 1 hour spraying
each week, they are very easy to keep(except at times).

A 150 foot fence and only 20 roses?? How on earth have you been able
to maintain that much self control?

I did manage to skip the bagged roses last year - by buying about 40
bushes on-line instead...

This year I'm claiming I won't get any new bushes except for free
replacements from Wayside Gardens and whatever favorites I find on
fortuniana root stock while on business trips. We'll see how long
that claim lasts - the over/under is two weeks and twenty bushes....