Old 23-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Registered User

Default Rosa moyesii from seed

Hi. I've bought some seeds of Rosa moyesii. Does anybody have any tips on germination? I've read it can take up to 2 years. I haven't been able to find much information on the web but a couple of sources suggest starting the seeds in warmth (although one says 15-20C and the other 20-27C) for a few (maybe four?) weeks, then moving them to either 4 or 3 degrees C, although by then I suppose it will be too warm to do that part of the process outdoors and I'll have to put them in the fridge. Or would it be best just to start them in a tray outdoors and let the weather work on them?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 23-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Charles Perry

Ornata wrote:

Hi. I've bought some seeds of Rosa moyesii. Does anybody have any tips
on germination?

Folllowing is a link to Heny Kuska's Web Page. Henry has several
articles listed that deal with rose seeds and germination
procedures:
http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Old 19-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Perry
Ornata wrote:

Hi. I've bought some seeds of Rosa moyesii. Does anybody have any tips
on germination?

Folllowing is a link to Heny Kuska's Web Page. Henry has several
articles listed that deal with rose seeds and germination
procedures:
http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/

Regards,

Charles
Update: they've started germinating! I gave them 3 weeks in a basic heated propagator followed by a couple of months in the fridge, then moved the tray to my unheated greenhouse. I'm delighted - just hope I manage to keep the seedlings alive and growing.
__________________
Ornata, gardening in South London, UK
Old 19-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Charles Perry

Ornata wrote:

Update: they've started germinating!

Congratulations! It has been more than 30 years since I planted
rose seeds, but I still remember how thrilled I was when they
sprouted.

Good luck with your rose children.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **

Rosa moyesii from seed Ornata United Kingdom 3 02-03-2005 12:16 PM
Rosa Rugosa Ophelia United Kingdom 4 29-04-2003 12:32 PM
Deadhead Rosa "Old Blush"? Steve Roses 2 19-04-2003 09:56 PM
Killa Bluma Rosa Primula! lms Roses 0 06-04-2003 03:56 PM
BALD HIP ROSES AKA. DWARF ROSES (Rosa gymnocarpa) nwforestmagic Roses 1 14-03-2003 03:44 AM