Old 04-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Douglas in Australia too

Default Do rose bushes have a life-span?

Deep root watering a planter box twice a day? What sort of drainage does it
have.
Have you considered they may have drowned. Roses don't like wet feet.
I have roses in quite small pots and don't water more than every 2 days.
We have 100F+ days and they are in full sun. We often get no rain for weeks.
While I can't vouch for the roses / root stock you had,
In my experience most roses have a very long life.

You might like to dig down into the planter and see if water is pooling at
the bottom.

Regards,
Douglas

From: "Michelle"
Subject: Do rose bushes have a life-span?
Date: Friday, 4 March 2005 5:54 PM

I have a dozen rose bushes planted in a 3 foot high planter which runs
along the back wall of my yard. I live in Arizona (Zone 10 I think?)
and this summer was especially dry. I lost four bushes this summer
possibly because of the draught. Boo Hoo, I even lost my favorite
Double Delight! I was deep-root watering twice a day, but I'm not
sure it was enough. I was told by a friend of mine, who seems to be a
rose guru, that the life span of those particular roses may have
expired. I have only had my rose bushes for 6 years. I thought roses
lasted a lot longer than that. I actually wasn't aware that they had a
life span at all. Does anyone know if this is actually true? If it is
true, does anyone have any suggestions for colorful, fragrant roses
that will last longer than 6 years in a planter? I am lazy and don't
like having to replant. I have roses because they are beautiful and
don't require a great deal of attention, except at pruning time.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and info.