Old 09-03-2005, 10:28 PM
JimS.

Default Epsom Salts for basel breaks

I'm about to take some earlier advice (thanks Gail in TX) and use some epsom
salts to encourage basel breaks. Based on our early spring it's about time
right now.

I've never done this before (not much I can still say that about....!).
Can anyone share their methods on how to deploy the epsom salts, how much to
use, and how to apply them?

I had planned to just sprinkle them on the ground and water, will that work?

JimS.
Seattle

Old 09-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Gail Futoran

"JimS." wrote in message
I'm about to take some earlier advice (thanks Gail in TX) and use some
epsom salts to encourage basel breaks. Based on our early spring it's
about time right now.

I've never done this before (not much I can still say that about....!).
Can anyone share their methods on how to deploy the epsom salts, how much
to use, and how to apply them?

I had planned to just sprinkle them on the ground and water, will that
work?

JimS.
Seattle

The recommendations I've seen are a couple tablespoons
per plant (how many depends on plant size), once in the
spring. Any more (quantity) and you risk changing the soil
pH too much. And your method sounds fine. If you don't
have too many roses and can mix the epsom salts in with
the soil a bit first, that's even better.

BTW all epsom salts are the same, so find the
cheapest source.

Don't remind me I need to be doing that sort of
thing NOW!! Other priorities, unfortunately ...

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 10-03-2005, 08:59 PM
JimS.

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"JimS." wrote in message

BTW all epsom salts are the same, so find the
cheapest source.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Dang, there sure is a huge difference in price range on these....glad you
told me they're all the same.
My local yuppie garden store said 3 lbs box for $5.99. I went to Safeway
and bought two 4 lbs cartons for $2.99 each.
Cheap is good.

JimS.
Seattle

[IBC] Epsom salts Samuel Gomez Bonsai 13 20-10-2003 08:12 AM
[IBC] Epsom salts and superthrive Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 1 18-10-2003 12:02 PM
[IBC] Superthrive (was [IBC] Epsom salts Anita Hawkins Bonsai 0 17-10-2003 05:42 PM
How much epsom salts for a sick pumpkin? Ednews United Kingdom 12 29-05-2003 05:24 AM
Epsom Salts??? Abra Myers Orchids 5 13-02-2003 07:25 AM