Old 09-03-2005, 11:30 PM

Default border design dilemma

I have a 13 foot long attached greenhouse and I want to change the bed
that runs the length of the greenhouse outside to roses. Roses I am
now considering are Carefree Beauty (although I like Mary Rose too),
Iceberg, and Cuthbert Grant (red). I can't decide if it should be all
one rose or a combination of 2 or a combination of 3 alternating
colors. I want continuous color in that spot.
If I am ordering from chamblee do I need to plant extra close to
fill in the whole bed? How close would you think?
The bed currently is only about 3 feet wide so there's only room for 1
deep if I don't enlarge the bed and I really don't want to do that this
spring.
Also another thing should I have them deliver early and just grow them
in the greenhouse till it's warm enuogh to transplant??

Katherine zone 5 ma/nh

Old 10-03-2005, 12:29 AM
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 13 foot long attached greenhouse and I want to change the bed
that runs the length of the greenhouse outside to roses. Roses I am
now considering are Carefree Beauty (although I like Mary Rose too),
Iceberg, and Cuthbert Grant (red). I can't decide if it should be all
one rose or a combination of 2 or a combination of 3 alternating
colors. I want continuous color in that spot.

I plant Iceberg but not the others. I'm one of those
rose growers who likes a lot of variety; others like
masses of the same color. The choice really is yours.
If you don't like the result you can always try
something different next year.

If I am ordering from chamblee do I need to plant extra close to
fill in the whole bed? How close would you think?
The bed currently is only about 3 feet wide so there's only room for 1
deep if I don't enlarge the bed and I really don't want to do that this
spring.

How close depends on the mature plant size. You
really don't want to plant roses too close. Some roses
can take 2 - 3 years (or more) to reach their mature
height. If you're in a hurry, find roses that grow
faster.

Also another thing should I have them deliver early and just grow them
in the greenhouse till it's warm enuogh to transplant??

No problemmo. I have ordered bareroot as well as
small (young) potted roses and kept them in pots for
several months before planting. If you buy them
bareroot and pot them up for later planting, give
them a chance to get established before transplanting.
How long? Again, depends on the variety. Some will
grow very fast, others take longer. I have some
roses in pots that I bought several weeks ago, just
starting to bud, now they're fully leafed out and with
blooms. I really need to plant those suckers!

Katherine zone 5 ma/nh

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 10-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by
should I have them deliver early and just grow them
in the greenhouse till it's warm enuogh to transplant??

Katherine zone 5 ma/nh
personally belive in leaving the problem of keeping plants alive which i'm not ready to plant out to the supplier where possible. there can t be any advantage in bringing things on in a warm indoor environment only to plant them out a few weeks later.

be patient i'd say .
Old 13-03-2005, 12:46 AM

that's a tall order patience - another storm this weekend and planting
seems an eternity away.
Katherine

Old 13-03-2005, 12:46 AM

Old 13-03-2005, 12:46 AM