Old 09-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Ben Tuinman

Default fertilizing help needed

I have a rose called "Thompson", one of the so called "Explorer" series. It
is supposed to be very hardy, good for the climate conditions in Zone 5
where we live. It did well last season, its first season, and it had several
blooms. I decided that it would benefit of a move to a more sunny location,
and moved it last fall. I noticed that it starts to bud now, and happy that
it appears to have survived the extremely strong winter we had this last
winter. More to the point now : I would like to fertilize it, and wonder if
anyone can give me some ideas as to what kind of fertilizer (numbers) to
use, how often, and any other suggestions to promote healthy growth in this
beautiful rose. Thanks ! Ben

Old 09-04-2005, 02:19 AM
JimS.

"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
I have a rose called "Thompson", one of the so called "Explorer" series. It
is supposed to be very hardy, good for the climate conditions in Zone 5
where we live. It did well last season, its first season, and it had
several
blooms. I decided that it would benefit of a move to a more sunny
location,
and moved it last fall. I noticed that it starts to bud now, and happy
that
it appears to have survived the extremely strong winter we had this last
winter. More to the point now : I would like to fertilize it, and wonder
if
anyone can give me some ideas as to what kind of fertilizer (numbers) to
use, how often, and any other suggestions to promote healthy growth in
this
beautiful rose. Thanks ! Ben

Ben,
One good thing to use, if you can find it locally to you, is fish emulsion
concentrate. You don't have to worry so much about over-fertilizing or
burning your roses with fish emulsion. And, it's pretty cheap, too.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 09-04-2005, 02:41 AM
Charles Perry

Ben Tuinman wrote:

I would like to fertilize it, and wonder if
anyone can give me some ideas as to what kind of fertilizer (numbers) to
use, how often, and any other suggestions to promote healthy growth in this
beautiful rose.

My roses seem to enjoy a little fertilizer over a longer period
of time rather than one shot and goodbye. Organic stuff is good
if you have acess to aged manure. For chemical fertilizer I have
used half strength Miracle Grow every other week up to August
when you should stop so that the rose can begin to thik about
getting ready for winter. Some recommend about a 1/4 cup of a
balanced fertilizer such as 10-10-10 spread around the base of
the plant once a month.

The David Thompson Explorer is a Rugosa type plant and most
likely shares with other Rugosa roses a serious dislike of
chemical fertilizer. The first paragraph does not apply to
Rugosa roses. I would go very easy with the fertilizer. Maybe
just a little compost in the fall or spring. If you feel you
must fertilize, try liquid seaweed and fish emulsion at 1/2
strength dilution or weaker and be sure to keep it off the
leaves.

Regards,

Charles
--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Old 09-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Tim Tompkins

You didn't tell us where you live, I presume it is a northern area with
harsh winters from your statement of zone 5.

I am in northern Colorado along the front range, also a zone 5 winter
climate. ALL of the Candadian roses have done well for me and are among the
first to show new growth in the spring.

The Front Range Rose Societies produce and sell a mostly organic rose food
that has produced excellent results in my garden. It is a relatively low
nutrient produce with all three primary numbers in the single digits.

I am strongly of the opinion that we should feed the soil and let the soil
feed our roses. I am NOT an organic fanatic, I just find that caring for
the soil produces the best results.

Tim

Old 10-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tompkins
I just find that caring for
the soil produces the best results.

Tim

correct . and the best way to care for a soil is to avoid walking on it when its wet .