Old 18-04-2005, 07:01 AM
mm

Default Rose choosing dilemma

I was set to buy Charles de Mills this season when I chanced to see
David Austin's Heritage. I am looking for a nicely scented pink rose
with that old fashioned half cabbage look to it. I know Charles is a
Gallica and I have no gallicas in my garden yet and I've heard they are
spectacular although not repeat bloomers. I've also heard good things
about David Austin Roses and this rose looks like an old rose but has
some nice "modern features" like recurrant bloom. It also sounds
"bushier" than Charles.

In the past, I have always eliminated Austin Roses from my list because
I'm in zone 4, Minneapolis and DA Roses are only rated for zone 5 and
above. I do protect my roses but I like to start with something that
claims it can survive. I treat my tea roses as if they were annuals. If
they survive, great but plan to replace at least a few each year.

Does someone have both of these puppies in their garden? Or have
possitive or negative things to say about one or the other?

mm

Roses: Shrub--Morden Blush, Morden Centennial, Charles Albanel, Therese
Bugnet, John Cabot; HT: Full Sail, Vets Honor, Ink Spots, Opening
Night.

Old 18-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Charles Perry

mm wrote:

I was set to buy Charles de Mills this season when I chanced to see

Well, not exactly in my garden, but within the block there is an
Austin fan and a Gallica grower. The lady who grows English
roses does not winter protect, her roses depend on the leaves
that naturaly accumulate in the fall for winter cover. There is
quite a bit of die back some winters, but they have survived for
years. Heritage is one that she grows. I just grow Fishermans
Friend and Wm. Shakspeare in a more exposed site and they die
back to the wood chip mulch that I mound up for winter.

The Gallicas just get minor tip die back most winters. Charles
de Mills has a clipped look to the bloom, a darker pink than
Heritage and a more striking look to my eye.
Well, it does bloom only once a year, but so do tulips,
daffodils and lilacs.

Regards from Tropical Minnesota Zone 4a

Charles
--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Old 18-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Leon Trollski

"mm" wrote in message
oups.com...

In the past, I have always eliminated Austin Roses from my list because
I'm in zone 4, Minneapolis and DA Roses are only rated for zone 5 and
above. I do protect my roses but I like to start with something that
claims it can survive. I treat my tea roses as if they were annuals. If
they survive, great but plan to replace at least a few each year.

Hi.

I'm in Zone 3A and I have a Heritage rose!! With protection, it has made it
through four seasons. The blooms are exceptional.

I think you could have more luck with David Austins than you thought
possible.

Old 18-05-2005, 12:29 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm
I was set to buy Charles de Mills this season when I chanced to see
David Austin's Heritage.
possitive or negative things to say about one or the other?

mm

Roses: Shrub--Morden Blush, Morden Centennial, Charles Albanel, Therese
Bugnet, John Cabot; HT: Full Sail, Vets Honor, Ink Spots, Opening
Night.
Rosa gallica 'Charles De Mills' : martyr to mildew

incidently...on the subject of hardiness of green plants , application of high potassium feed in late summer (ie tomato fertilizer) can possibly induce greater resistance to low winter temperatures .

Rose pruning dilemma chasnewbie Roses 5 31-07-2007 04:11 AM
Lawn Mower Tractor dilemma ; TORO 16-38HXL or Yard-Man AN 5150K David Lawns 1 24-02-2005 06:51 PM
choosing a rose peta Roses 0 26-12-2004 07:13 AM
Help choosing the right rose. Raane Roses 2 16-06-2003 10:08 PM
OT-here's your dilemma of the day TOM KAN PA Gardening 18 17-03-2003 04:08 AM