GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Disneyland Rose (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/92813-disneyland-rose.html)

JimS. 21-04-2005 05:44 PM

Disneyland Rose

Does anyone else have a Disneyland Rose from J&P?
I bought one of these own-roots this year and planted it a couple of months
ago. It came with a great root system, it's quite a healthy specimen, and
it's doing very well. But mine has an odd form to it. It seems to be
spreading out like ground cover--growing bushier but staying kind of flat.
Fairly small canes but plenty of breaks. No buds yet, still too young.

Does anyone else have one? Is yours growing like mine? If not, how is
yours growing?

JimS.
Seattle

Jacky 21-04-2005 07:43 PM

"JimS." wrote in message
Does anyone else have a Disneyland Rose from J&P?
I bought one of these own-roots this year and planted it a couple of

months
ago. It came with a great root system, it's quite a healthy specimen,

and
it's doing very well. But mine has an odd form to it. It seems to be
spreading out like ground cover--growing bushier but staying kind of flat.
Fairly small canes but plenty of breaks. No buds yet, still too young.

Does anyone else have one? Is yours growing like mine? If not, how is
yours growing?

JimS.
Seattle

yes. ordered last fall, received six Disneyland Rose from J&P in Feb.
Followed planting per instructions.
This is my first ever rose bush attempt. Each have begun nice leafy growth
but no height or any sign of buds.

jacky

JimS. 21-04-2005 11:23 PM

"Jacky" wrote in message

"JimS." wrote in message

[...]

That sounds exactly like what mine look like now. I think you picked a
nice, easy rose to grow for your first rose.
Are you located near Seattle too??

JimS.
Seattle, Zone8

Jacky 22-04-2005 02:58 PM

"JimS." wrote in message

"Jacky" wrote in message

"JimS." wrote in message

[...]

Just a short drive south to Kent, Wa. Have been a lurker in this group
for long time and
found lots of good information and helpful advice. Was wondering myself
why the roses
seem to be growing slower than I expected. Only getting afternoon sun,
maybe its not enough?
or new plants may need to get established before the benefit of a great
bloom.
Trying to practice patience and resist the urge to fuss with them for now.

JimS. 22-04-2005 04:36 PM

"Jacky" wrote in message

"JimS." wrote in message

Does anyone else have a Disneyland Rose from J&P?
I bought one of these own-roots this year and planted it a couple of
months ago. It came with a great root system
, it's quite a healthy specimen, and it's doing very well.

But mine has an odd form to it. It seems to be spreading out
like ground cover--growing bushier but staying kind of
flat. Fairly small canes but plenty of breaks.
No buds yet, still too young.

edit

Was wondering myself why the roses
seem to be growing slower than I expected. Only getting afternoon sun,
maybe its not enough? or new plants may need to get established
before the benefit of a great bloom.
Trying to practice patience and resist the urge to fuss with them for now.

I definitely woudn't mess with them, if I were you. I planted a couple of
other new roses at the same time, and they are growing totally differently.
I'm sure what we're seeing is just the way they grow. J&P probably
developed this specifically for Disneyland to use as a lower-growing bush
type rose, thus the unusual form. And the lack of blooms so far-- they're
really young plants still, I wouldn't expect to see anything on them yet
anyway. My other new roses nearby don't have any yet either.

So far, I haven't found bottled patience in the garden store, but I keep
looking.... I really need some too-- but I need it NOW!

JimS.
Seattle

[email protected] 23-04-2005 04:34 AM

I have one, and it's growing exactly like the other rose bushes I have.
Perhaps you should call J&P for a replacement (or the nursery you
purchased it at).

I planted mine just a few months ago, and it's already put out a lot of
blooms!j

Ruth
FLorida

markkhenry 18-05-2011 08:08 PM

I absolutely woudn't blend with them, if I were you. I buried a brace of other new roses at the aforementioned time, and they are growing absolutely differently. I'm abiding what we're seeing is just the way they grow. J&P probably developed this accurately for Disneyland to use as a lower-growing bush type rose, appropriately the abnormal form.