Old 22-04-2005, 02:39 PM
nanner

Default Long Island Climbing Rose: Newbie Questions

Hi - I have never grown roses and would like to put a trellis on the East
facing side of my shed.

I am trying to research climbing roses and what will be good for a beginner
like me. I am looking at New Dawn and someone suggested Climbing Pinkie but
I can't find much info on that or where to buy it. I really don't know what
varieties I should consider. I don't love the tiny roses with few leaves and
I would like some color (pink or red preferred - but I'm sure yellow would
be lovely too)

I am not sure if I can plant other flowers/plants in front of the roses or
if the bed size matters.Right now I made a narrow bed, about 2' x 8' (width
of shed)

If you can give me any advice I'd appreciate it. I would love to hear from
anyone on Long Island because it seems our climate and growing conditions
are different than NY or the surrounding areas.

Thanks so much!

Old 30-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Nutjob the Fatsquirrel

nanner wrote:
[...]

yOU NEED tO HaVe MORE ELEtricity in the skin FIRST!
Old 08-05-2005, 11:55 PM

I'm in FL and NEW DAWN never got higher than 2 ft for me...and it was on
fortuniana root stock! BRIGADOON which was asked about elsewhere and
is NOT a climber- I just planted it this yr and so far Its leaves can't
be beat but at this point I prefer simular looking CARY GRANT for the
amount of blooms it has produced in a 6 month period. By The Way~ I've
been warned that CARY GRANT does very poorly in our FL summers so ...
we'll see!

Climbing rose - White-rose.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 5 12-04-2008 06:30 PM
Climbing Rose Questions Zemmy!! Roses 1 23-04-2005 01:59 PM
annoying newbie questions -shame on me- LONG Janice Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 01-06-2004 07:08 PM
Fountain to be left on for how long? Newbie pond questions. Nouix Ponds 3 16-04-2003 06:20 PM
18" of Snow on Long Island - yes this too is global warming D Kat Ponds 13 24-02-2003 08:00 PM