Old 13-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Registered User

Default Sickly Rose...brown core to stems...HELP!!!

Hi All,

I have an inherited Rose...not sure of type or variety but growing as a
5ft plant with upright. slender bush habit. Produces deep red blooms in
season.

It was looking very sickly with yellowing, drooping leaves. I decided
to prune it hard back the other evening and I noticed that several of
the stems have brown cores and also I tget the feeling that the other
stems are a little more fibrous in the centre than usual.

I can't find any reference to what this problem might be. The rose has
performed well over the last few seasons. The base of the plant has
become surrounded by Day-Lily foliage but I can't see that this would
be the entire cause of the problem.

The rose hasn't been sprayed or fed this season. I just gave it some
epsom salts at the base a week or so ago but the yellowing was already
evident then. We garden on a sandy loam in Herts. with some chalk in
the area. The rose is in an exposed spot in the garden.

Any help or advice very welcome...i'm fearful we may lose this rose.

Thanks
David
Old 14-05-2005, 04:14 AM
JimS.

"prologica" wrote in message
news

[...]

David,
It's definitely got some dieback at the very least, but it's mroe likely
that it's diseased and rotting backwards. Prune all the way back down the
canes till you reach living cane that's light colored at the core.
You've got to cut past the sick part or it'll keep dieing back. If it
reaches the bud union it's done for. Fertilize it now too.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 22-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Nancy G.

Make sure when you prune, you use a wound dressing on the raw cane.
I've used regular tree wound dressing brush on and spray, as well as
plain Elmer's school glue. Something to seal the cane and help keep
cane borers out of it.

Old 25-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Rolling Thunder

On 22 May 2005 09:50:50 -0700, "Nancy G."
wrote:

Make sure when you prune, you use a wound dressing on the raw cane.
I've used regular tree wound dressing brush on and spray, as well as
plain Elmer's school glue. Something to seal the cane and help keep
cane borers out of it.

I understand latex paint works too.

Thunder