Old 27-05-2005, 06:25 AM
Darren Garrison

Default How big do the biggest rose hips get?

My experience with roses before last year has been only with the old roses that have always been in
my family-- ones they always called "seven sisters" but I've found out from the net that eighty
bazillion kind of roses are called seven sisters (photo of one of mine)
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/sevensis.jpg

Anyway, the hips on that rose are only about a half an inch or so across. Last year I bought a few
"modern" types of roses and this year bought more, but I've been deadheading them to encourage more
blooming. But I had taken it for granted that about a half-inch or so was basically how big rose
hips got. But today I was at Wal-Mart and saw a Don Juan rose with a hip on it that was almost the
diameter or a US half dollar, pear-shaped, and orange. I was shocked at how big it was-- big enough
to contain several of what I had thought to be a normal sized rose hip.

So how big do those suckers get at their biggest?

Old 27-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Gail Futoran

"Darren Garrison" wrote in message
[...]

The hips of Frau Dagmar Hartopp are described as
being about the size of a cherry tomato. I've also
seen photos of elongated hips on rose shrubs. Another
source says some hips can be as large as a crabapple.
I know I've seen hips the size of cherry tomatoes on
some of my roses, but can't remember which ones.

Gail

To remove hips or not? Noddy[_2_] Roses 3 09-02-2009 06:13 PM
Rogor Insecticide Rose Hips YMC Gardening 4 07-01-2009 04:14 AM
Biggest Rose Bush ?? Tom Line Roses 3 15-06-2005 12:06 AM
Rose Hips? or seeds? vsiddali Roses 0 08-09-2004 10:16 PM
Consuming rose hips seeds Jerome Morrow Roses 5 08-05-2003 02:44 AM