Old 09-02-2003, 04:37 PM
Barron

Default Rose Gall

This question may have been covered before but here goes.The ARS site says:
Crown gall
(Agrobacterim tumefaciens) Overgrowths or galls form on stem and roots.
Infection occurs mainly through wounds. In soil. Bacteria spread in water.
Gall development is favored by rapidly growing host. Avoid injuring base of
plant and roots. Paint galls with Gallex to eradicate them
When one buys bare root plants and there is some slight damage to the
root, the recommended practice is to remove the damage. Isn't this a wound?
Why doesn't this action allow crown (root) gall to happen in almost every
rose planted??? I understand that the bacteria that causes gall is
ubiquitous in the soil.
Thanks in advance for any insight with this question.

Old 12-02-2003, 07:25 AM
Allegra

Hello Barron,

I guess it would be simpler to explain that to be stabbed with
a rusty knife is not akin to being operated on with a scalpel.

Some times what is commonly called a "wound" is caused
by scraping the outer tissue of the plant with a sharp tool,
like the edge of a spade, or a shovel. This is not a "clean"
cut but it tends to be a form of scraping or tearing the
plant's tissue. To add insult to injury, we tend to cover the
"wound" with soil that may be infected with the bacteria
that develops into Agrobacterim tumefaciens. As the wound
tries to heal itself, it encloses within this bacteria and it
becomes a little encapsulated area where the gall will
eventually develop.

When you cut any part of your rose, one has to assume you
are using both a very sharp instrument and a disinfected one.
Cutting the entire surface gives very little space for the bacteria
to find a home there. It is usually advised to remove the gall
with a sterilized knife and then wash the cut with undiluted
Clorox to avoid further contamination. One can actually irrigate
the area where the crown gall is suspected to be with Clorox
without any adverse effect to the roses. My suggestion would
be to remove all the soil around the area and to dispose
of it. Lay the soil afallow for as long as you can, but if this is
not possible, then make sure that new soil is brought in for
instance, and wash the entire root system of the plant with
Clorox to prevent any infection as well if you are planting
a new rose there.

When we moved here a gorgeous red rose (still unnamed)
caught my eye and under years of neglect there it was the
telltale of the growth. We have a Japanese handsaw that
was promptly put to use, and I cut the entire portion of
the crown that was affected. We followed the instructions
above and this Spring she looks magnificent and full
leafed right now believe it or not. Healthy as a horse but
we moved her to another location and replaced the soil
and will wait until next year to plant any roses where
she was.

I hope this helps to see the difference. It is the "wound"
type versus the "clean cut" that creates the problem and
an inviting environment for the gall to take hold.

Allegra

Old 12-02-2003, 07:25 AM
Allegra

"Barron" wrote in message
This question may have been covered before but here goes.The ARS site

says:
Crown gall
(Agrobacterim tumefaciens) Overgrowths or galls form on stem and roots.
Infection occurs mainly through wounds. In soil. Bacteria spread in water.
Gall development is favored by rapidly growing host. Avoid injuring base

of
plant and roots. Paint galls with Gallex to eradicate them
When one buys bare root plants and there is some slight damage to the
root, the recommended practice is to remove the damage. Isn't this a

wound?
Why doesn't this action allow crown (root) gall to happen in almost every
rose planted??? I understand that the bacteria that causes gall is
ubiquitous in the soil.
Thanks in advance for any insight with this question.

[IBC] Juniper Gall question Douglas Taylor Bonsai 7 25-02-2005 05:12 PM
[IBC] Crab apple root gall kevin bailey Bonsai 46 14-03-2004 10:07 PM
Help!!! Root Gall Jim Roses 5 06-02-2004 07:15 AM
Article on gall formation SugarChile Gardening 0 16-05-2003 02:32 PM
Crown gall on my roses. Les Roses 2 31-03-2003 07:08 AM