GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   most fragrant rose (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/95247-most-fragrant-rose.html)

Jan 03-06-2005 12:24 AM

most fragrant rose

Could you tell me what you think is the most fragrant rose bush..

I need some fragrant ones...

thanks so much..

Henry 03-06-2005 02:23 AM

Jan wrote:
Could you tell me what you think is the most fragrant rose bush..
I need some fragrant ones...

There are lots of very fragrant roses. Many of the Old Garden Roses
have a very intense fragrance. Some of my favorite are the Bourbon
roses. Also, Rose de Rescht (a Portland rose) is very fragrant. Some
of the David Austin roses are also great in this respect. I'm partial
to the old roses. I'm sure others will give you advice on the newer roses.

--
Henry

JimS. 03-06-2005 02:58 AM

"Jan" wrote in message
Could you tell me what you think is the most fragrant rose bush..

I need some fragrant ones...

thanks so much..

I'm not even going to try to guess which is the most fragrant....but here
are my two most fragrant:

Blue Girl- lavender/light purple colored
Oklahoma- dark red

It also depends on where you are....some roses are very fragrant in one
climate but may not be in another.

JimS.
Seattle

Joe 03-06-2005 03:19 AM

JimS. wrote:
"Jan" wrote in message

Could you tell me what you think is the most fragrant rose bush..

I need some fragrant ones...

thanks so much..

I'm not even going to try to guess which is the most fragrant....but here
are my two most fragrant:

Blue Girl- lavender/light purple colored
Oklahoma- dark red

It also depends on where you are....some roses are very fragrant in one
climate but may not be in another.

JimS.
Seattle

Papa Meilland HT DR I have won NUmerius ARS fragrance Medals with it

Jen 03-06-2005 03:48 AM

"JimS." wrote in message
Blue Girl- lavender/light purple colored

JimS.
Seattle

Jim,

Is this anything like Blue Moon? (Am I remembering that name right?) I've
looked at some of the lists and don't see that one on there anymore.

My dad used to grow a rose exactly as you described, but I remember it being
called Blue Moon, and it had heavenly fragrance.

Jen

KC 03-06-2005 06:25 AM

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 17:58:33 -0700, "JimS."
wrote:

"Jan" wrote in message
Could you tell me what you think is the most fragrant rose bush..

I need some fragrant ones...

thanks so much..

I'm not even going to try to guess which is the most fragrant....but here
are my two most fragrant:

Blue Girl- lavender/light purple colored
Oklahoma- dark red

It also depends on where you are....some roses are very fragrant in one
climate but may not be in another.

JimS.
Seattle

Double Delight has been wildly fragrant for me in Zones 5 and 10.
Sunsprite, too.

KC

JimS. 04-06-2005 05:58 PM

"Jen" wrote in message

"JimS." wrote in message
Blue Girl- lavender/light purple colored

JimS.
Seattle

Jim,

Is this anything like Blue Moon? (Am I remembering that name right?) I've
looked at some of the lists and don't see that one on there anymore.

My dad used to grow a rose exactly as you described, but I remember it
being called Blue Moon, and it had heavenly fragrance.

Jen

Jen,
I looked on helpmefind.com and found both Blue Girl and Blue Moon. They're
different roses but they do look just alike to me.

JimS.

torgo 06-06-2005 09:12 AM

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:24:20 -0700, "Jan" wrote:

Could you tell me what you think is the most fragrant rose bush..
I need some fragrant ones...

My favorite fragrant pink at the moment is The McCartney Rose. It has
grown extremely well for me, and it provides plenty of highly fragrant
blooms.

For reds, Oklahoma and Papa Meilland have already been mentioned.
They're related, and Mr. Lincoln and Chrysler Imperial are part of
that same family. I've tried all four and found I like Chrysler
Imperial best.

I like Papa M but haven't had much luck with it in the summer heat -
it tends to shut down and not bloom in hot weather. Mr Lincoln can be
trained to give you massive blooms (my first Mr. L bloom is what got
me hooked on growing roses) but the bush shape is just awful. Think
"rose on a stick" and you have Mr. Lincoln's growth habit. Oklahoma
and Chrysler Imperial have both performed well for me. Chrysler
Imperial got off to a slow start its first year, but by year 3 it had
become a star of my garden.

My other two favorites for fragrance are Double Delight and
Scentimental. Each of those just about knocked me out driving home
with them in bloom in 7 gal. containers. Double delight is a
white/red blend. Scentimental is a freaky striped thing - ultra cool
to look at in addition to the great fragrance. A funky rose with
funk...

Note that these are all modern HT/Floribunda types - not the world's
greatest landscape varieties. But they produce incredible cut
flowers.

Helen in NE Calif 06-06-2005 10:28 PM

My favorite fragrant hybrid teas are Fragrant Cloud (coral red, very
upright, dark green leaves) and Pink Perfume, which was also very
upright with dark green leaves. BOTH are spectacular roses to cut.

I had Mr. Lincoln (straggly upright, perhaps it was that plant) and I
tried Chrysler Imperial, which got mildew. I lived in the San
Francisco Bay Area when I had these roses and many others (58 in all).
I had roses year 'round. I miss them.

Now I live in the mountains of NE Calif at 5,000 ft. elevation. Winter
snows and cold to cool nights mean I am experimenting with "what grows
here".

A week ago I bought Henry Fonda (true yellow) and a Fragrant Cloud.
Did not put them into the ground. I put them in big 24" diameter pots
that are deeper than a half-barrel. My plan is ... when the snow falls
or when we get freezing weather, I will have hubby use a handtruck to
move them into our garage to winter over. I will know next year after
they spend the winter "garaged" if it was a good plan or not.

I am still experimenting with "when to prune" roses up here.

Helen in the mtns of NE Calif.

[email protected] 07-06-2005 01:47 AM

Helen wrote:

Now I live in the mountains of NE Calif at 5,000 ft. elevation. Winter
snows and cold to cool nights mean I am experimenting with "what grows
here".

Have you thought about the Buck roses? I bought a "Golden Unicorn" in
my search for a yellow rose. The picture on the rose info tag showed
real yellow. It is supposed to withstand extremes in temperature and
has beautiful peachy blossoms with great scent. I will bed it down
with a good blanket of mulch this winter though.

Beth, in hot and humid Central VA

ntantiques 07-06-2005 06:45 AM

Jan wrote:
Could you tell me what you think is the most fragrant rose bush..

I need some fragrant ones...

thanks so much..

For me, hands down, the best fragrant rose is Meilland's Frederic
Mistral, a fabulous delicate light pink with a knock your socks off
scent. Have grown it successfully in several locations - the San
Francisco East Bay (hot), in the Mt. Shasta, CA area (snow), and in
Eugene, OR (rain, rain rain). No matter the location, I've always found
it to be a vigorous grower with profuse repeat blooms on lovely strong
stems, extremely disease resistant, and the scent is just to die for.
It's only possible drawback is the size - it does need some room as it
gets larger than the average rose.

Double Delight has been suggested by some others in this thread. It's
another of my very favorite fragrant roses, but in my experience, a bit
prone to rust and black spot. Doesn't keep me from including it in my
gardens though...

NT