GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New to growing climbers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/96342-new-growing-climbers.html)

[email protected] 23-06-2005 11:19 AM

New to growing climbers

Hi,
I have four climbers growing in a raised bed against the front wall of
my house (about 10' by 22'). The wall has NE exposure with at most 4
hours of good morning sun AND this was my first attempt at rose
growing, so am very thrilled that after 2 years they are finally taking
off. Because of the location I picked shade tolerant vaieties:
Awakening, Darlow's Enigma, Lavender Lassie, and Cl. Iceberg. Lavender
Lassie is about 8-9' and really blooming, the others had more winter
damagage the first year and are behind but catching up.

My questions a is there anything I can do -- pruning or anyhing
else-- to push them to their maximum height? I want most of the action
to be between 3 and 8 feet above ground, to hopefully cover the wall at
that level.
Also, I have four of these roses in a raised bed about 5-6 feet
apart. I don't mind at all mixing the canes/flowers, the trellis is
very strong, and the soil is excellent, but as they get bigger am I
going to run into problems root-wise? I there any way to compensate for
it?

Thanks for any help with this,
David