Old 24-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Tom Line

Default Ashes on Roses

Will putting well spent cook-out charcoal ashes on and around roses do any
good or bad? I put some lightly on my tomatoes and they seem to like it. I
wonder if it would have any effect like rose dust has on the leaves?

--

Tom Line

For Fun And Safety In Firearms Sports visit...
--
http://www.bobtuley.com --

Old 24-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Tim Tompkins

You did not indicate where you live.

Charcoal ashes are quite alkaline and are NOT indicated if you live in an
area with soils that are already above 6.5pH.

In general I would NOT use the ashes, the most likely contain some fats from
cooking and may have residual chemical content from manufacturing them.

Tim

Old 25-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Gail Futoran

"Tom Line" wrote in message
Will putting well spent cook-out charcoal ashes on and around roses do any
good or bad? I put some lightly on my tomatoes and they seem to like it. I
wonder if it would have any effect like rose dust has on the leaves?

--

I think you can overdo that. I remember reading
something about it several years ago but since I

Gail

Old 08-07-2005, 04:23 AM
Ben Boorman

Tom Line wrote:
Will putting well spent cook-out charcoal ashes on and around roses do any
good or bad? I put some lightly on my tomatoes and they seem to like it. I
wonder if it would have any effect like rose dust has on the leaves?

some of the chemicals used in the processing of commercial grade
charcoal is NO GOOD for roses. Naturally occuring ash is good for your
roses, but do a soil analysis first. ARS.org has a lot of articles on
soil amendments and I have read in there the real chemical make ups of
charcoal and natural ash that makes 'em bad or good.

Ashes to Ashes Steve Newport Edible Gardening 8 21-03-2006 09:03 AM
Ashes to Ashes Steve Newport United Kingdom 6 13-02-2006 08:57 AM
Ashes & Soot in Pond stricks760 Ponds 3 28-11-2003 05:44 PM
Planting a rose bush+cremated ashes? Emil Roses 8 12-06-2003 06:44 AM
Ashes to ashes Nelson Kirsch Gardening 2 16-05-2003 04:08 PM