Old 06-07-2005, 03:14 PM
dave weil

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:23:44 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"dave weil" wrote
[snip]
[/QUOTE Hi Gail, I got two big bags of manure yesterday. I'm going to
ready the soil for the roses. I'll make sure it's well mixed in, so
that all I have to do is plant the roses when they arrive. Thanks for
letting me know not to expect too much for a year or so, otherwise I'd
probably think I did somethein wrong. Once all the work is done, I'll
just enjoy them That's the best bit.

Ummmm, the name is dave, not Gail.

LOL! Hey Dave. How are your roses doing?
We're in high 90s - 100 here, no rain for at least
a month and none in sight. Watering schedule
has moved to a spreadsheet. I'm watering
plants I usually don't bother with. The roses
are a top priority for watering, of course, and
so far they're doing fine.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

I've been a baaaaad boy. I just haven't been into it this year. Benign
neglect has been the watchword this year and I'm hoping I don't lose
too many roses this year.

It's been a strange year for seasons here and I think it threw me off.
I'm not a natural-born gardener. I have to work at it. And this year,
I'm just not.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:02 AM
Gail Futoran

"dave weil" wrote

I've been a baaaaad boy. I just haven't been into it this year. Benign
neglect has been the watchword this year and I'm hoping I don't lose
too many roses this year.

I tend to lose roses almost every year even when
conditions (including my input) are really good,
so I've stopped worrying about it. They get
replaced, which is an excuse to shop at the local
nurseries.

It's been a strange year for seasons here and I think it threw me off.
I'm not a natural-born gardener. I have to work at it. And this year,
I'm just not.

I don't feel like I'm a natural-born gardener, either,
although I think my neighbors would disagree
with me. I'm just obsessive about some things.
We had unusually good seasons this year (well,
until now...), with a cool spring and lots of rain,
so the roses got a good start. Now I'm just
watering a lot to keep them alive.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 13-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendy View Post
I'm replanting, and I want to plant roses. I think red would be a nice colour. Can anyone give me the name of a red rose, (nice smelling) Or recommend one to me. I'm told it's better to plant just the one block of colour for the wow factor. Also any tips on how to control greenfly? Thanks alot Brendy
I can heartily recommend the Hybrid Tea Roses from http://www.apuldramroses.co.uk/.
Large double blooms, lots of flowers, good for cutting. I have many varieties supplied by Apuldram Roses and they have all been excellent specimens and continue to provide a lot of pleasure