Old 04-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Registered User

Question UK open rose garden in historic order-Where is it?

I remember last year? reading somewhere in a garden magazine that there was a rose garden where the walk took you through the history of the rose from gallicas etc

\does anyone know where it is?
__________________
laura
Old 06-07-2005, 01:44 AM
Henry

laura wrote:
I remember last year? reading somewhere in a garden magazine that there
was a rose garden where the walk took you through the history of the
rose from gallicas etc

\does anyone know where it is?

I don't know where it is but I'd love to know. This is a garden I've
been planning in my head for five or six years. I have rose lists and
some of the layout. I don't have the land, the time, or the funds to
really do this right but I think it could be a really interesting garden.

--
Henry
Old 07-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Martin

Laura,

I am unaware of the rose garden that you are seeking but the Historic Roses
Group (RNRS) will probably be able to put you on track with rose history. To
quote from one of there recent leaflets:-

"Some of the world's greatest roses were bred in the British Isles. What can
we show for this rich heritage in Britain today? Many British roses survive
only beyond our shores. The best collections of British roses now are at
Sangerhausen in Germany, at Cavriglia in Italy and at L'Hay-les-Roses in
France. Alone among the major nations of the western world, Britain has no
historic collection of national roses. The Historic Roses Group has started
to put this right.

Over the next four years. The Historic Roses Group will acquire budwood of
all British roses bred before 1950 which are known to be still in existence.
There are over 1,000 of them. The collection will be assembled from gardens,
institutes and amateurs around the world and established in Britain. It will
form a unique record of rose breeding over the last 300 years - a national
collection of roses raised in the British Isles.

They can be contacted at:-

Historic Roses Group

Royal National Rose Society

Chiswell Green

St Albans

Herts AL2 3NR, U.K.

Or via the Links Page on the Bexrose Web Site

Regards

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster

Email: