GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cats in my rosebed! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/96980-cats-my-rosebed.html)

elfa 06-07-2005 03:22 AM

Cats in my rosebed!

Does anyone have cats using their flower bed as a catbox? My neighborhood cats
have found my rose gardens well turned soil a great place to take a dump.

I thought that if I kept it wet, they'd avoid it....not true.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

elfa

dave weil 06-07-2005 03:15 PM

On 5 Jul 2005 19:22:33 -0700, elfa wrote:

Does anyone have cats using their flower bed as a catbox? My neighborhood cats
have found my rose gardens well turned soil a great place to take a dump.

I thought that if I kept it wet, they'd avoid it....not true.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

elfa

Try dusting the ground wih cayenne pepper for a few weeks.

Gail Futoran 06-07-2005 06:52 PM

"elfa" wrote in message
Does anyone have cats using their flower bed as a catbox? My neighborhood
cats
have found my rose gardens well turned soil a great place to take a dump.

I thought that if I kept it wet, they'd avoid it....not true.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

elfa

You can place some chicken wire just below
the mulch and that should deter them.

Gail

Melodie Bond 07-07-2005 05:07 PM

Orange peels work perfectly!
I don't know why they do, but they do work. You have to put out fresh peels
every week, but it will keep the cats away. I just break it up into coin
size pieces adn scatter it along the border of the beds. It will keep away
cats and squirrels.

--

Melodie Bond

"elfa" wrote in message
Does anyone have cats using their flower bed as a catbox? My neighborhood

cats
have found my rose gardens well turned soil a great place to take a dump.

I thought that if I kept it wet, they'd avoid it....not true.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

elfa

---

elfa 08-07-2005 03:01 AM

In article , Melodie Bond says...

Orange peels work perfectly!
I don't know why they do, but they do work. You have to put out fresh peels
every week, but it will keep the cats away. I just break it up into coin
size pieces adn scatter it along the border of the beds. It will keep away
cats and squirrels.

--

Melodie Bond

Thanks...
I'll give that one a try. I also have an anti deer spray called 'Liquid
Fence'...it works wonders keeping the deer from eating my roses.

elfa

Peggy O'Grady 17-07-2005 08:49 PM

You can try crushing some garlic and letting it steep in warm water. Then
spray the soil with the solution. Your neighborhood kitties may not like
the smell. You could also try sprinkling a little Tobasco Sauce around the
bed to deter the felines. The cats really won't hurt your bed and having
them around is a great way to rid your yard of unwanted critters.