Old 09-03-2003, 03:20 AM
Shiva

Default S&W Greenhouse Roses

My order--placed last October--just arrived. As expected, these are Weeks
and Jackson and Perkins bare roots. I have bought these brands potted and
boxed, but never bare root. These and Star roses are the most common
brands of potted roses I see here in Raleigh.

So why order them from S&W? They were all $12.99!! J&P boxed roses start
at $17, potted go for more. Also, S&W had a great selection.

Side by side, my Weeks and J&P roses are like night and day. The Weeks
roses, every one of them, are robust things with five and more fresh green
canes and many, many 12-18-inch long roots!! Prettiest bare roots I have
ever seen. Edmunds' bare roots had thicker canes, but these have more
canes and better roots. The J&P roses--thank heavens there are more from
Weeks in the lot--all have 5-6-inch roots, and are very small. I have
always had good luck with my potted J&P roses--but I can now see why
people say they are not the best quality in bare roots. It hardly makes
sense to hack off the roots on bare root roses--I can see it with
container roses, due to space considerations, but why with bare roots?

My Weeks Distant Drums is the Hoss of the bunch--10 canes if it has one,
and the most amazing MANE of roots! A single rose--a smallish J&P--has
canker on one cane. I cut it off at the bud union and saw the telltale
brown smushy pith. I am going to ask for a replacement. I'll lay that
sucker on the scanner and see what they have to say for themselves.

The haul:

Joseph's Coat
Heart of Gold
Distant Drums
Crystalline
Simply Marvelous
Barbara Streisand
Blue Nile
Arizona
Outta the Blue!
Royal Amethyst

and some others ... too bushed to recall them all.

My beauties are soaking on the side porch where they will stay warm enough
regardless of the vicissitudes of March weather. Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Old 09-03-2003, 07:08 AM
JimS.

Aha! .....Joseph's Coat....you've succumbed. If you recall-- that's the one
I picked up last year at the same time as I bought (on your urgeing!) Don
Juan. You're gonna love Joseph's Coat-- and it doesn't look anything like
the picture they had with it in the nursery, either.

BTW---- I've always bought J&P as boxed roses at Costco for $9.99. Last
week I finally bought a bareroot J&P rose from a yuppie-nursery in North
Seattle. But it had roots way bigger than 6", most at least 10-12#. I know
everyone loves to take shots at J&P, but I've never bought a single one of
them that crapped out on me.

JimS.
Seattle

news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.b1ef7aaee65a820f8227ac9172248ee8 @1047179406.cotse.net...

Old 09-03-2003, 09:09 AM
Cass

Shiva wrote:

The haul:

Joseph's Coat
Heart of Gold
Distant Drums
Crystalline
Simply Marvelous
Barbara Streisand
Blue Nile
Arizona
Outta the Blue!
Royal Amethyst

I bought Weeks Distant Drums and Outta the Blue about a month ago, so
they're already leafed out. This year Weeks offers a pretty eclectic
group of roses. I see that I actually have 9 of the roses they sell
and I think I could easily buy another 8 shown on the website.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Bob Bauer

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 09:00:31 GMT, Cass
wrote:

I bought Weeks Distant Drums and Outta the Blue about a month ago, so
they're already leafed out. This year Weeks offers a pretty eclectic
group of roses. I see that I actually have 9 of the roses they sell
and I think I could easily buy another 8 shown on the website.

Tom Carruth is a great hybridizer.

Weeks is introducing several GREAT varieties every year. They are by
far the best of the commercial growers. Their plants are usually much
more healthy and large than any of the other 'big boys'.

I picked up a couple of shrubs from Weeks last year - 'Long Tall
Sally' - it is a lot like 'Sally Holmes, except with more color in
the blooms.... 'Raven' - dark red blooms. Both are great.

And let's not forget 'Miami Moon' an excellent floribunda with huge
blooms from last year.

lata.....

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com

Old 09-03-2003, 07:58 PM
Shiva

Cass wrote:

Shiva wrote:

The haul:

Joseph's Coat
Heart of Gold
Distant Drums
Crystalline
Simply Marvelous
Barbara Streisand
Blue Nile
Arizona
Outta the Blue!
Royal Amethyst

I forgot Melody Parfumee & Judy Garland!

I bought Weeks Distant Drums and Outta the Blue about a month ago, so
they're already leafed out. This year Weeks offers a pretty eclectic
group of roses.

Your post made me go to the Weeks website and see how

many roses I have that Weeks is carrying now:

~ = gone
* = new this year

Scentimental (2)
George Burns
Ink Spots
Great Century
*Barbara Steisand
Stainless Steel
*Outta the Blue
~Moonstone [gone--very healthy, but I loathe the
blooms]
~Octoberfest [vole chow, fall 2000]
*Heart 'O Gold
~Livin' Easy [killed via overfert, very sad]
*Judy Garland [looks GREAT in photos!]
*Distant Drums [new but 1st one (Ashdown) killed via overfert incident
last year]

I see that I actually have 9 of the roses they sell
and I think I could easily buy another 8 shown on the website.

Which nine and which eight?

By the way, aside from the name, Countess Celeste looks pretty wonderful.
Wonder if it really smells like fresh cut apples, and if so, the flowers
or foliage? Do I need this rose? Is the color great in person?

Old 09-03-2003, 07:58 PM
Shiva

JimS. wrote:

Aha! .....Joseph's Coat....you've succumbed. If you recall-- that's the

one I picked up last year at the same time as I bought (on your urging!)
Don Juan.

I do recall! What really sold me on this one was seeing the mini climber
Rainbow's End and being told it is like a mini JC. I still want to grow
both together if I can.

You're gonna love Joseph's Coat-- and it doesn't look anything like
the picture they had with it in the nursery, either.

I love to hear this!! Lots of folks were trashing it in posts of long ago--
something about blackspot and such, but hey, all my roses are plagued by
the plagues.

BTW---- I've always bought J&P as boxed roses at Costco for $9.99. Last
week I finally bought a bareroot J&P rose from a yuppie-nursery in North
Seattle. But it had roots way bigger than 6", most at least 10-12#.

I must be unlucky--at least with my first J&P bare roots. You know I like
J&P roses--many of my first roses are J&P--but really, these bare roots
have very short roots. I'll try them anyway. Off to try to get some of the
babies in the ground!!

Old 09-03-2003, 10:09 PM
Cass

In article
aHlwYXRpYQ==.c90430d0e38cb888ae13b36a7a0b2f67@104 7239401.cotse.net,
Shiva wrote:

Cass wrote:

Shiva wrote:

[...]

$=have
*=new this year
!=could buy any time

$Baby Grand (2 scheduled for destruction)
$ Fourth of July
$*Brilliant Pink Iceberg (2, one a gift)
$Sally Holmes
$*Long Tall Sally
*Outta the Blue
*Distant Drums
*Flower Girl (2)
*Shadow Dancer
*Flutterbye

!Scentimental
!Berries n Cream
!Purple Heart
!Easy Going
!Betty Boop
!Pearly Gates
!Autumn Sunset

It's clear I can't count.

Old 10-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Shiva

Cass wrote:

$=have
*=new this year
!=could buy any time

$Baby Grand (2 scheduled for destruction)

Why? If you mentioned this one before, I missed it.

*Outta the Blue
*Distant Drums

We can compare notes on these two. They are the most interesting roses I
received from S&W, or at least they seem to be at this moment.

*Flutterbye

Want to tell me more about this one? It isn't a single like Mutabilis, is
it?

!Scentimental

Cass, I love this rose. Love, love, love it. Yes it blows fast. That is
why I have three. Good smelling, so beautiful, every bloom is different--
and the red is cherry-to-burgundy, not orangey at all.

!Berries n Cream

I want this.

!Purple Heart

On next year's list.

!Autumn Sunset

Want this.

It's clear I can't count.

Numbers bore me, so I'm always off, too. There are too many interesting
things to pay attention to!

Old 11-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Cass

Shiva wrote:

Cass wrote:

$=have
*=new this year
!=could buy any time

$Baby Grand (2 scheduled for destruction)

Why? If you mentioned this one before, I missed it.

It stands straight up to it's full 10 inch height, not a graceful plant
at all, gets blackspot, doesn't rebloom fast , nothing special about
the bloom color or size. Waste of space. I don't get minis, tho I like
the climbers. I think I need to get Jean Kenneally, tho.

*Outta the Blue
*Distant Drums
*Flutterbye

Want to tell me more about this one? It isn't a single like Mutabilis, is
it?

It's a single but not like Mutablilis, which is unusual in my mind
because it throws flowers out one at a time. Have you ever seen a spray
on Mutabilis? Anyway, Flutterbye is mostly yellow, tho is has some
peachy tones. And I know nothing else because it is so young. It grows
large enough in SoCal to be grown as a climber. I will grow it as a
shrub.

!Scentimental

Cass, I love this rose. Love, love, love it. Yes it blows fast. That is
why I have three. Good smelling, so beautiful, every bloom is different--
and the red is cherry-to-burgundy, not orangey at all.

Yeah, I know I want it. When I find it, I will put it on my patio.
Nothing could blow faster than Eugene de Beauharnais, and I put up with
it for color and scent.

!Berries n Cream

I want this.

I'd heard it was weak grower, but I've got the striper bug (I wrote
stripper bug the first time).

!Purple Heart

On next year's list.

Bob Bauer says it's better than Angel Face. Damning by faint praise.
Can't wait to execute Angel Face, but it won't die.

!Autumn Sunset

Want this.

I'd a thought Westerland would be your preference. I moved my two 6 x 8
plants this winter, BR'd them. They're leafing out now. That's a huge
rose here, not exactly a climber, more like a floribunda on steroids. I
can't get the canes to bend, so the flowers end up high.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Cass

Shiva wrote:

Cass wrote:

!Purple Heart

On next year's list.

Oops. The one I should be looking for is Shocking Blue. Never mind.

Old 11-03-2003, 05:32 PM
saki

Cass wrote in
:

Shiva wrote:
!Berries n Cream

I want this.

I'd heard it was weak grower, but I've got the striper bug (I wrote
stripper bug the first time).

I likes stripes as well. I grow Berries 'n' Cream. It's not as floriferous
as I'd like but it has a nice muted pink stripe on creamy white and is a
good contrast to my shrub rose Rockin' Robin (which is more screaming red-
on-white). Berries 'n' Cream also has shiny, healthy foliage and climbs
delicately and determinedly, so it's good to have around even out of bloom.

----

Old 11-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Cass

saki wrote:

Cass wrote

Shiva wrote:
!Berries n Cream

I want this.

I'd heard it was weak grower, but I've got the striper bug (I wrote
stripper bug the first time).

I likes stripes as well. I grow Berries 'n' Cream. It's not as floriferous
as I'd like but it has a nice muted pink stripe on creamy white and is a
good contrast to my shrub rose Rockin' Robin (which is more screaming red-
on-white). Berries 'n' Cream also has shiny, healthy foliage and climbs
delicately and determinedly, so it's good to have around even out of bloom.

Hmm. So I could mix it up with a big bloomer. I like the idea.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:12 PM
saki

Cass wrote in
:

saki wrote:

Berries 'n' Cream also has shiny,
healthy foliage and climbs delicately and determinedly, so it's good
to have around even out of bloom.

Hmm. So I could mix it up with a big bloomer. I like the idea.

I have mine growing between Gloire de Rosomanes and Reine Victoria. The
effect when all are in bloom can be very nice, but equally nice when
Berries is taking a rest. It's draping itself in and out of a 15' tall
upright juniper that grows behind all three...gives the juniper some oomph
as well.

----

Old 12-03-2003, 03:33 AM
Bob Bauer

Cass said:

!Purple Heart

On next year's list.

Bob Bauer says it's better than Angel Face. Damning by faint praise.
Can't wait to execute Angel Face, but it won't die.

I don't know anything about Purple Heart. The floribunda that I grow
that I think is much better than Angel Face is 'Shocking Blue'.

I agree with you about 'Angel Face'. I just has done nothing for me
in its 4 years in my garden. I even bought Climbing Angel Face, and
it hasn't done much....... my advice is: execute it already.... heh
heh

It is a climate thing I gather.

Bob Bauer
Old 12-03-2003, 04:33 AM
Cass

In article , Bob Bauer
wrote:

Cass said:

!Purple Heart

On next year's list.

Bob Bauer says it's better than Angel Face. Damning by faint praise.
Can't wait to execute Angel Face, but it won't die.

I don't know anything about Purple Heart. The floribunda that I grow
that I think is much better than Angel Face is 'Shocking Blue'.

Yeah, sorry, Bob, I've bought a few wrong roses guided by my failing
memory. Old Timer's disease. Shocking Blue. Shocking Blue. Shocking
Blue.

I agree with you about 'Angel Face'. I just has done nothing for me
in its 4 years in my garden. I even bought Climbing Angel Face, and
it hasn't done much....... my advice is: execute it already.... heh
heh

It is a climate thing I gather.

Ah, we should have known. It's air that it doesn't like.

Free GIS Software, Download Google Earth Maps, Trace & save GPSroute, View & Rectify Raster Images, Edit & make shape files [email protected] Gardening 0 13-10-2008 06:25 PM
Roses in the Greenhouse Motilek Roses 0 19-09-2007 06:06 AM
Banned Herbicides &&&& Pesticides Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 26-08-2003 07:42 AM
Colour of roses best roses for Albuquerque, NM Radika Kesavan Roses 18 05-04-2003 12:20 AM
BALD HIP ROSES AKA. DWARF ROSES (Rosa gymnocarpa) nwforestmagic Roses 1 14-03-2003 03:44 AM