Old 10-02-2003, 12:25 AM
Shiva

Default Schultz "Multi Cote" Slow Release Rose & Flower Chow

14-14-16

Anybody here ever use it?

Guaranteed Analysis:

14% Nitrogen

14% Phosphate

16% Potash

Total Sulfur 3.8%
Total Iron 0.3%
Total Manganese 0.06%

Label says use every 12 weeks, discontinue 2 months before first expected
frost.

2 lb bottle, $7.

Recommended amount 2 tsp per new rose in 18 inch hole
1/2 cup per 3X3 established plant
2/3 cup per 4X4 established plant
OR 1 cup per 25 sq. feet in beds.

Old 12-02-2003, 04:25 AM
Theo Asir

That sounds awful expensive to me.

I love the cheapness of Fish emulsion
and Vigoro for roses @ homedepot.

think its $2.50 for 4-5 lbs.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.75c5b4a32c2653f555de7d6115b00806 @1044835469.cotse.net...

Old 13-02-2003, 10:15 PM
Shiva

Theo Asir wrote:

That sounds awful expensive to me.

Damn, Theo! I bought the stuff. Is the mix right, at least? I see all
different numbers on stuff labeled "Rose Food."

I love the cheapness of Fish emulsion

I sure thing have NEVER seen FE at Home Depot or any other simlar store,
and I am always all over the gardening stuff.

and Vigoro for roses @ homedepot.

think its $2.50 for 4-5 lbs.

Are you saying that Vigoro is time released? That's what I'm really
interested in. Thanks in advance.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 13-02-2003, 11:27 PM
saki

"Shiva" wrote in
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.440a32d8a325742a727aab9aab0782ab @1045177755.cotse.net:

I only have about a hundred at any given time. I do not prefer dry,
slow acting fertilizers, I am just busy, and want the time release so
I can put it down and know it will be working. Then I will supplement
it throughout the season as I have time and feel like it.

Makes sense. I think I prefer fiddling with my plants too much to use a
slow-acting fertilizer. I like hovering a little. Of course I can afford to
do that so far; I haven't reached my first hundred roses yet (I'm at 78,
though I have a pending order with Ashdown and my Heirloom catalog has been
calling to me for about a week now).

None taken. I LOVE southern colloquialisms, though I don't use many.
When I lived in TX my first week there I saw a water fountain with a
sign that said "This needs fixed." I have had a working knowledge
of Latin (my best language, pity it is not spoken as it is
beautiful)and Italian, and can understand a good deal of spoken French
and German, just by virtue of being a former medievalist and native
English speaker. I am losing a lot of what I learned of other
languages through disuse. It has been too long since I wandered Pisa's
Campanile reading the stones to bone up on my medieval Latin. (As you
probably know, it was a whole different creature than classical Latin
by the 12th century.)

Your languages?

Classical Egyptian (Old/Middle/Late/Ptolemaic), Coptic, Classical Greek,
Hittite, Hebrew, Russian, German and French. At least the last two are
somewhat helpful in the rose garden (particularly when trying to pronounce
the names of some OGRs and teas and such), but I have yet to find a rose
with a Coptic name. :-)

----

Old 14-02-2003, 09:39 AM
Snooze

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.8c17bd166ee02ac07dae91fbd75ee9dd @1045174635.cotse.net...
Theo Asir wrote:
I love the cheapness of Fish emulsion

I sure thing have NEVER seen FE at Home Depot or any other simlar store,
and I am always all over the gardening stuff.

The home depots here in san jose, california all carry FE. It usually comes
in a yellow or green bottle.

It has a classic scent for a few days. Wear latex gloves when using, the
oils soak into your hands, and it takes a good scrubbing to rid your hand of
the scent. I usually apply the stuff sunday evening, so by next weekend the
smell is gone.

Sameer

Old 15-02-2003, 02:03 AM
Shiva

saki wrote:

Makes sense. I think I prefer fiddling with my plants too much to use a
slow-acting fertilizer. I like hovering a little.

I'll love that when work slows down some, which may be when I retire in
about 30 years! I always need something to fuss over.

Classical Egyptian (Old/Middle/Late/Ptolemaic), Coptic, Classical Greek,
Hittite, Hebrew, Russian, German and French.

Wow! What a great collection of languages. My curiosity presses me to ask
what your native language(s) is/are. ??

Meanwhile, You would be a great candidates for one of the people in a
theoretical problem that was on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) a
few years ago. It is the "puzzle" type from the analytical section, as
opposed to the straight deductive reasoning type from that section. It
goes something like this (NOT a working example):

Four interpreters and four professors are traveling together to go to a
conference some four hours drive away. You are in charge of the seating
arrangement.

Professor A speaks Russian and English, and can understand Japanese.
Professor B speaks Lithuanian and Coptic, and can understand German.
Professor C understands Russian and Yiddish, and speaks Chinese and
Italian. Professor D speaks English, Russian, and Yiddish and understands
Swedish.

Interpreter 1 understands English and Japanese, and speaks French and
Swedish. Interpreter 2 speaks Coptic, Italian, and Pig Latin. Interpreter
3 understands Pig Latin, Russian, and Alamabamian, but only speaks English
and French. Interpreter knows nothing but American Sign Language.

Design a seating arrangement wherein all travellers may enjoy conversation
with the person sitting next to them.

!!!!!

Old 18-02-2003, 07:03 PM
saki

Radika Kesavan wrote in
:

saki wrote:

...but I have yet to find a rose with a Coptic name. :-)

I thought that Zoe was a Coptic name, the name for Eve, but do not
know for sure. If it is, there are some roses with the name Zoe in
them....

Only "Zoe" means "life" in Greek; not related to Coptic, which was Egyptian
in grammar as was much of its vocabulary but written with mostly Greek
letterforms and with lots of Greek loan words.

The Coptic word for "rose" seems to have been "ourt" (transliteration...I
can't type in Coptic here, for which you'll no doubt thank me :-) from the
Egyptian Demotic "wrt" (a form of the language that slightly preceded
Coptic). "wrt" was a Semitic loan word.

To my amazement, Egypt didn't have roses until the Hellenistic period, and
then the word had to be borrowed from the cultures where it was
established. There are cognates throughout the region that appear to cross
over into other language families. Semitic languages were Afroasiatic
whereas Indo-European languages had similar names for the flower: Sanskrit
"vrdhi", Armenian "vard", Greek "rhodon" and Latin "rosa".

It's a very old name indeed.

----