Old 14-03-2003, 04:32 AM
JimS.

Default Large pot volume

"Shepherd" wrote in message

"steve stidham" wrote in message
Debu, I saw a nice one at Costco a couple of weeks ago I saw only model

clay pot with a dark green glaze. $45. Weighed about 40# empty. Better
pick-up an elephant to move it when it is full of soil.
"Debabrata Ghosh" wrote in message
om...
Cass wrote in message

. ..
Shepherd wrote:

Just bought several large pots to plant my bare-root roses in.

The tag states that the pot's soil volume is 0 quarts.

The pot measures about 19" X 19".

Can anyone please tell me what the volume of dirt I will need to

buy
for
these pots?

So mathematically, I vote with Sameer, only because I did the

numbers
the same way.

Let's see: you need to put some rocks or broken pots in the bottom

for
drainage and to cover the drain holes; you don't fill all the way to
the top; the bareroot takes up some of the volume of pot; potting

soil,
while a tiny bit damp (if you're lucky), will reduce in volume

several
inches once you water it.

My gut, however, tells me that a 2 cu ft. bag of soil would be

almost
adequate once you add bone meal, a little alfalfa, and the rose.
Besides, no garden project would be complete without two, if not

three,
visits to the nursery. ;~)

Here is a little formula that works for me.
Measure the diameter of both the top and the bottom; let's say they
are D1 and D2 (in inches). Then, r1, r2 are radii (again in inches).
Measure the height of the pot, let's say it's x inches.
Define, h1 = x * r1 / (r1 - r2)
h2 = x * r2 / (r1 - r2)
Then, the volume of the pot in cubic inches is (volume of a cone):
(1/3) * pi * (r1 * r1 * h1 - r2 * r2 * h2)
Divide this by 1728 to get the volume in cubic feet (by about 230.67
to get it in gallons).
This over-estimates a bit if the pots are curved inwards, and, as
Cass said, you'd need to fill less in any case.

I agree with Bob, 19-21" ones aren't big enough. I am moving over my
favorite ones to 24" pots.

Bob, any idea where I can buy 30" pots?

Thanks,
Debu.

I want to thank every one for their answers about how much soil I need and
how to figure the amount, but can anyone please tell me what the volume =

0
quarts on the sticker means.

Thanks again,
Shepherd

Duh. It means they screwed up the sticker.

JimS.
Seattle