Old 10-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Shepherd

Default Large pot volume

Just bought several large pots to plant my bare-root roses in.

The tag states that the pot's soil volume is 0 quarts.

The pot measures about 19" X 19".

Can anyone please tell me what the volume of dirt I will need to buy for
these pots?

Thanks,

Shepherd

Old 10-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Bob Bauer

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:04:49 GMT, "Shepherd"
wrote:

The pot measures about 19" X 19".

Can anyone please tell me what the volume of dirt I will need to buy for
these pots?

1/2 to 2 cubic feet of potting soil is what you need.

Bob Bauer

Old 10-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Snooze

"Shepherd" wrote in message
Just bought several large pots to plant my bare-root roses in.

The tag states that the pot's soil volume is 0 quarts.

The pot measures about 19" X 19".

Can anyone please tell me what the volume of dirt I will need to buy for
these pots?

To get a rough estimate of the volume of the pot, we'll assume it's a
perfect cylinder.
If the pot has a 19" diameter, and is 19" high, then.

volume = pi * (diameter / 2)^2 * height

That is 5384 cubic inches, which when divided by 1728 gives us cubic feet.
Or approximately 3 cubic feet per pot. A 19"x19"x19" box is almost 4 cubic
feet.

So you'll need between 3-4 cuft per pot.

Sameer

Old 11-03-2003, 05:09 PM
Jane

I need to borrow some of your brain Sameer. Do you mind?
(grin)

Jane
"Snooze" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

Old 11-03-2003, 05:09 PM
Bob Bauer

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:27:54 GMT, "Snooze"
wrote:

To get a rough estimate of the volume of the pot, we'll assume it's a
perfect cylinder....
So you'll need between 3-4 cuft per pot.

Although your math is right on, where you might not be correct,
Sameer, is that most garden pots are not cylinders, at least not the
decorative ones.

Almost all the pots I've seen and used are truncated inverted cones.
( I grow about 100 roses in pots).

My own actual experience says that my estimate of approximately 2
cubic feet to fill the pot, or a little less when you take the root
ball of the transplanted rose into account applies for a nineteen inch
pot.

I do use 3-4 cubic feet in my rose holes in the ground though, those
holes are cylinders.

Also, just for everyone's information, a nineteen inch diameter pot
isn't really considered a BIG pot, the big ones are 24 to 30 inches in
diameter. I would grow hybrid teas, shrubs or climbers in these
bigger pots, and put floribundas and larger miniatures and patio roses
in the 19-21 inch size.

Bob Bauer

Old 11-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Cass

Shepherd wrote:

Just bought several large pots to plant my bare-root roses in.

The tag states that the pot's soil volume is 0 quarts.

The pot measures about 19" X 19".

Can anyone please tell me what the volume of dirt I will need to buy for
these pots?

So mathematically, I vote with Sameer, only because I did the numbers
the same way.

Let's see: you need to put some rocks or broken pots in the bottom for
drainage and to cover the drain holes; you don't fill all the way to
the top; the bareroot takes up some of the volume of pot; potting soil,
while a tiny bit damp (if you're lucky), will reduce in volume several
inches once you water it.

My gut, however, tells me that a 2 cu ft. bag of soil would be almost
adequate once you add bone meal, a little alfalfa, and the rose.
Besides, no garden project would be complete without two, if not three,
visits to the nursery. ;~)
Old 12-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Debabrata Ghosh

Cass wrote in message . ..
Shepherd wrote:

[...]

Here is a little formula that works for me.
Measure the diameter of both the top and the bottom; let's say they
are D1 and D2 (in inches). Then, r1, r2 are radii (again in inches).
Measure the height of the pot, let's say it's x inches.
Define, h1 = x * r1 / (r1 - r2)
h2 = x * r2 / (r1 - r2)
Then, the volume of the pot in cubic inches is (volume of a cone):
(1/3) * pi * (r1 * r1 * h1 - r2 * r2 * h2)
Divide this by 1728 to get the volume in cubic feet (by about 230.67
to get it in gallons).
This over-estimates a bit if the pots are curved inwards, and, as
Cass said, you'd need to fill less in any case.

I agree with Bob, 19-21" ones aren't big enough. I am moving over my
favorite ones to 24" pots.

Bob, any idea where I can buy 30" pots?

Thanks,
Debu.
Old 13-03-2003, 01:34 AM
Shiva

Debabrata Ghosh wrote:

Here is a little formula that works for me.
Measure the diameter of both the top and the bottom; let's say they
are D1 and D2 (in inches). Then, r1, r2 are radii (again in inches).
Measure the height of the pot, let's say it's x inches.
Define, h1 = x * r1 / (r1 - r2)
h2 = x * r2 / (r1 - r2)
Then, the volume of the pot in cubic inches is (volume of a cone):
(1/3) * pi * (r1 * r1 * h1 - r2 * r2 * h2)
Divide this by 1728 to get the volume in cubic feet (by about 230.67
to get it in gallons).
This over-estimates a bit if the pots are curved inwards, and, as
Cass said, you'd need to fill less in any case.

Very impressive! Honestly, I am in awe of engineering and and other
scientist types. I sit back and observe as though I am on some sort of
Cultural Anthropology internship. Such precision and attention to detail
and accuracy takes my breath away--really!

Now then: here is a little formula that works for me:

Go to the garden shop. Find the potting soil you want. Eyeball the bags
and think, hmmm, one bag or two? Decide "oh, hell, it doesn't matter. It's
not like I'm not going to be able to use the leftover soil." Buy two bags
for each pot.

Old 13-03-2003, 01:34 AM
JimS.

ROFLMAO......this is EXACTLY the same formula I use.

Minor modification for me: Go to garden store. Look at bags. Think, "big
bag or really honkin' big bag?". Buy the honkin' big bag. Use as much as
need to fill pot, then leave mostly-empty bag on walkway in conspicuous
place for mailman to trip over.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 13-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Rosa Rosam

I have the same formula with a small developpement : moaning about the
stupid postman who put dirt on the walkway.

. net...

Old 13-03-2003, 08:20 AM
steve stidham

Debu, I saw a nice one at Costco a couple of weeks ago I saw only model a
clay pot with a dark green glaze. $45. Weighed about 40# empty. Better
pick-up an elephant to move it when it is full of soil.
"Debabrata Ghosh" wrote in message
om...
Cass wrote in message

. ..

Old 13-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Julie

I think your both wrong. My method: Buy one bag, then get home to
discover it isn't enough. That way I *have* to go back and buy more.
Of course, on my second trip I get to look at the plants again. g
(This method doesn't work when DH goes with me. He knows my ploy and
always picks up at least two bags.)

Old 14-03-2003, 12:10 AM
Shiva

JimS. wrote:

ROFLMAO......this is EXACTLY the same formula I use.

Jim, wouldn't it be interesting to have a breakdown of what percentage of
people might think about formulae re how much soil, and how many--like us--
to whom it would never even occur to apply such calculations to such a
simple thing? In a way, I don't really want to know. Keep the mystery!

Old 14-03-2003, 12:45 AM
JimS.

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.e3284d15eb138d1649e5f1f426c1ed1a @1047600412.cotse.net...
JimS. wrote:

ROFLMAO......this is EXACTLY the same formula I use.

Jim, wouldn't it be interesting to have a breakdown of what percentage of
people might think about formulae re how much soil, and how many--like

us--
to whom it would never even occur to apply such calculations to such a
simple thing? In a way, I don't really want to know. Keep the mystery!

Mystery? It's not even mystery for me. I'm just lazy. I don't care at
all.

JimS.

Old 14-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Shepherd

"steve stidham" wrote in message
Debu, I saw a nice one at Costco a couple of weeks ago I saw only model a
clay pot with a dark green glaze. $45. Weighed about 40# empty. Better
pick-up an elephant to move it when it is full of soil.
"Debabrata Ghosh" wrote in message
om...
Cass wrote in message

. ..
Shepherd wrote:

[...]

I want to thank every one for their answers about how much soil I need and
how to figure the amount, but can anyone please tell me what the volume = 0
quarts on the sticker means.

Thanks again,
Shepherd