Old 16-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Torsten Brinch

Default Agrochemical sales decline - 12 % in the last five years

P A N U P S
Pesticide Action Network Updates Service
Agrochemical Sales Flat in 2002

April 14, 2003

Agrow World Crop Protection News reports that 2002 agrochemical
sales were essentially flat worldwide, at US $27.7 billion.
Accounting for inflation and currency shifts, Agrow estimates
agrochemical sales actually fell by 1.5% in 2002. In 2001 the
market also shrank by 4.1%, thus the new figures bring the
overall decline to 12% in the last five years.

By region, western European agrochemical sales showed an
increase of 7.2% to US $6.3 billion, while the North American
market, the world's largest, shrank 1.7% to US $8.365 billion,
despite the fact that plantings were up 4%. Latin American
agrochemical sales experienced the largest decline, with
sales down by 3.8% to US $3.4 billion total. The Asia/Pacific
market fell by 1.8% in 2002, to US $7.15 billion.

Fungicide sales increased 2.7% globally, to US $5.1 billion,
while herbicide and insecticides sales were flat. Herbicide
sales constitute the bulk of world pesticide sales, accounting
for 46.6% of the total market.

The ranking of the top agrochemical corporations also shifted
in 2002, as the biggest seven companies consolidated down to six.
Agrow reports that Syngenta occupies the top spot for 2002, with
Bayer CropScience, which recently bought Aventis, in the number
two position, up from sixth place in 2001.

Monsanto remains in third place, same as last year, despite the
largest sales decline of any company on the list--down 18% for 2002.
Agrow attributes this decline to a drop in the US Roundup (glyphosate)
revenues and economic problems in Latin America. Monsanto's Roundup
and other herbicide sales fell by 24% in 2002 worldwide, despite the
2-3% rise in the glyphosate market within the U.S.

In the same issue Agrow reports that Syngenta, number two for
agrichemical sales in 2002, boosted their profits by 2%, despite
their drop in sales. The Syngenta CEO attributed the rise in
profits to cost cutting measures, and stated that Syngenta estimates
the global agrochemical and seed market shrank by 4% last year.

Forecasters expect global sales to decline again in 2003, due to
economic problems and drought conditions in Australia. Nonetheless,
the industry forecasts an expansion of about 0.4% (four tenths of one
percent) per year over the next four years.

Rank US$Billions US$Billions
2002 Company Sales 2002 Sales 2001 Change
1 Syngenta 5.260 5.385 -2.3%
2 Bayer 3.775 3.978 -5.1
3 Monsanto 3.088 3.755 -17.8%
4 BASF 2.787 3.105 10.2%
5 Dow 2.717 2.612 4.0%
6 DuPont 1.793 1.814 -1.2%

Source: Agrow: World Crop Protection News, February 26, 2003, March
28, 2003. 18/20 Hill Rise, Richmond, Surrey TW10 6UA, UK;
Tel. (44) 20 8948 3262; Fax (44) 20 8332 8996; email ;
http://www.agro.co.uk/; Allan Woodburn Associates, 18 Newmills
Crescent, Balerno, Edinburgh, EH14 5SX, UK; Tel. (44) 131 451 5173;
Fax (44) 131 451 5172; email .

Contact: PANNA

PANUPS is a weekly email news service providing resource guides and
reporting on pesticide issues that don't always get coverage by the
mainstream media. It's produced by Pesticide Action Network North
America,
a non-profit and non-governmental organization working to advance
sustainable alternatives to pesticides worldwide.

You can join our efforts! We gladly accept donations for our work and
all
contributions are tax deductible in the United States. Visit
http://www.panna.org/donate.

Pesticide Action Network North America (PANNA)
49 Powell St., Suite 500, San Francisco, CA 94102 USA
Phone: (415) 981-1771
Fax: (415) 981-1991
Email:

Web:
http://www.panna.org

Old 17-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Gordon Couger

"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message
P A N U P S
Pesticide Action Network Updates Service
Agrochemical Sales Flat in 2002

April 14, 2003

Agrow World Crop Protection News reports that 2002 agrochemical
sales were essentially flat worldwide, at US $27.7 billion.
Accounting for inflation and currency shifts, Agrow estimates
agrochemical sales actually fell by 1.5% in 2002. In 2001 the
market also shrank by 4.1%, thus the new figures bring the
overall decline to 12% in the last five years.

I expect that the fall in ag chemicals is correlated to the increase in GM
cotton since cotton uses nearly 25% of the insecticide in the world. Cotton
with BT protein added take a great deal less spraying for insects and a new
BT protien is available in cotton this year in the US that is even more
toxic to worms so it should reduce the insecticide used on cotton even more.

Gordon

Old 17-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Torsten Brinch

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 00:52:54 -0500, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:

"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message
.. .
P A N U P S
Pesticide Action Network Updates Service
Agrochemical Sales Flat in 2002

April 14, 2003

Agrow World Crop Protection News reports that 2002 agrochemical
sales were essentially flat worldwide, at US $27.7 billion.
Accounting for inflation and currency shifts, Agrow estimates
agrochemical sales actually fell by 1.5% in 2002. In 2001 the
market also shrank by 4.1%, thus the new figures bring the
overall decline to 12% in the last five years.

I expect that the fall in ag chemicals is correlated to snip

Without data, your interpretation is mere speculation.
Old 18-04-2003, 12:20 AM

I expect that the fall in ag chemicals is correlated to the increase in GM
cotton since cotton uses nearly 25% of the insecticide in the world.

Your pro-GM explanation does not explain this:

"Latin American agrochemical sales experienced the largest decline,
with sales down by 3.8% to US $3.4 billion total. The Asia/Pacific
market fell by 1.8% in 2002, to US $7.15 billion."

No Bt cotton is grown in Latin America and very little in
Asia/Pacific...

regards
Marcus

Old 18-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Gordon Couger

wrote:

"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message
.. .
P A N U P S
Pesticide Action Network Updates Service
Agrochemical Sales Flat in 2002

April 14, 2003

Agrow World Crop Protection News reports that 2002 agrochemical
sales were essentially flat worldwide, at US $27.7 billion.
Accounting for inflation and currency shifts, Agrow estimates
agrochemical sales actually fell by 1.5% in 2002. In 2001 the
market also shrank by 4.1%, thus the new figures bring the
overall decline to 12% in the last five years.

I expect that the fall in ag chemicals is correlated to snip

Without data, your interpretation is mere speculation.

True, it is speculation but it is base on what I consider good logic. Every
acre of BT cotton that goes in needs less insecticide than conventional
cotton beside it. To a lesser degree the same is true with corn because a
lot of corn was not sprayed and the boll worm/corn ear worm damage was just
accepted. Now that there is a BT corn for root worms there should be a
bigger drop in insecticide used on corn.

Round up ready technology lets glycophophate replace a lot more
environmentally damaging herbicides and in some cases my increase the actual
tonnage of chemicals used. The only example with rates I can come up with
off the top of my head would be in wheat which is not approved yet would be
for Glean that is applied at less than one ounce per acre and would be
replaced with a pint per acre of Glycophophate. Glean can remain active for
almost a year in normal soils and much longer in high pH soils while Round
Up is inactive as soon as it touches the ground and is broken down in a few
weeks by soil bacteria resulting in great deal more environmentally friendly
farming practices. Replacing long acting herbicides with Round Up has a very
positive effect on the environment even if you use many times as much Round
Up as the long acting product. It is not the weight but the effect of the
chemical the matters.

Gordon

Old 18-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Torsten Brinch

wrote:

"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message
.. .
P A N U P S
Pesticide Action Network Updates Service
Agrochemical Sales Flat in 2002

April 14, 2003

Agrow World Crop Protection News reports that 2002 agrochemical
sales were essentially flat worldwide, at US $27.7 billion.
Accounting for inflation and currency shifts, Agrow estimates
agrochemical sales actually fell by 1.5% in 2002. In 2001 the
market also shrank by 4.1%, thus the new figures bring the
overall decline to 12% in the last five years.

I expect that the fall in ag chemicals is correlated to snip

Without data, your interpretation is mere speculation.

True, it is speculation but it is base on what I consider good logic.

That's a small comfort, considering that the result of your
speculation is inconsistent with the data you have at hand,
but choose to ignore.

Old 18-04-2003, 07:57 AM
Jim Webster

wrote in message

I expect that the fall in ag chemicals is correlated to the increase in

GM
cotton since cotton uses nearly 25% of the insecticide in the world.

Your pro-GM explanation does not explain this:

"Latin American agrochemical sales experienced the largest decline,
with sales down by 3.8% to US $3.4 billion total. The Asia/Pacific
market fell by 1.8% in 2002, to US $7.15 billion."

No Bt cotton is grown in Latin America and very little in
Asia/Pacific...

regards
Marcus

Gordon used cotton as an example. The original post didn't mention cotton,
and therefore soya and similar are included in the figures.
The amounts of GM soya being grown is increasing in the areas mentioned.

Interestingly in the UK it seems a lot of the fuss over GM is beginning to
blow over. While the supermarkets may be claiming to source only non-gm
ingredients, they have given up insisting that English dairy farmers source
only GM free soya because they are not willing to pay a premium to cover the
cost

Jim Webster

Old 18-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Gordon Couger

wrote:

[...]

Where is it inconstat wiht the data?

I think my assment is more likey to be correct than yours as i have 45 years
experaince framing and heve farmener rasing 200 acres of no till cotton and
you can't manage to rasie an organic garden with out the slugs taking it.

By the way I can raise an organig garden as well.

You single demensional view of the world is tiresome. How some one can flogg
the a horse dead 100 year as a way to feed the world by someone that has a
degree in science is beyond me. Before the process to make ammonia from
natural gas was perfected in the early 1900's Europe was on the edge of a
food crises from the lack of nitrogen and they had a great deal more farm
manure than they do now.

It is rather ironic that Habber go the Nobel piece price for his process to
manufacture ammonia when he main target was explosives for WW1.

Manure is a pretty good source of nitrogen if you spread it as soon as it
leaves the cow. Every minute it is exposed to the element is loosing
nitrogen. It is a very good soil conditioner.

Old 18-04-2003, 02:20 PM

Interestingly in the UK it seems a lot of the fuss over GM is beginning to
blow over.

On the contrary! No supermarket will dare to put GM ingredients in its
products for fear of losing customers...

regards
Marcus

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - News from gmfoodnews.com

UK Supermarkets maintain strict GM free policy for 2003

gmfoodnews.com has completed its annual survey of UK supermarkets for
their position on genetically modified (GM) food and ingredients for
2003.

The results show that opposition to GM foods is as strong as it was in
1999, when supermarkets removed GM foods and ingredients from their
shelves. Just as in 1999, no UK supermarket includes GM food or
ingredients in their own-brand products. Increasingly, supermarkets
are also specifying GM-free feed for animals producing their meat,
milk and eggs.

Supermarkets maintain this position because of the continued rejection
by consumers of GM foods. Consumers believe that GM foods are unsafe,
untested and may cause environmental damage.

When asked specifically about GM cottonseed oil, which has recently
been approved by the UK ACNFP [1, 2], supermarkets stated that they
will not be allowing this ingredient in their products.

For more information about the issues with GM crops and GM food, see
http://www.gmfoodnews.com/gmwrong.html

The views of each of the supermarkets can be seen in the summary
below:

Co-op

"No Co-op Brand products will be made using any genetically modified
ingredient."

http://www.co-op.co.uk/ext_1/Develop...gh light=2,gm

Iceland

"As pioneers in the food retail industry Iceland were the world's
first to ban GM ingredients in our own label range in May 1998."

http://www.iceland.co.uk/ext_11/web/market.nsf/(websearch)/wugm?OpenDocument

Marks and Spencer

"All Marks and Spencer food products are made without Genetically
Modified ingredients or derivatives, and an increasing range of the
animals we use in food production are fed on non-GM diets."

http://www2.marksandspencer.com/thec...gm/intro.shtml

Safeway

"We listen carefully to our customers' comments and concerns and we
have removed GM soya and maize ingredients from our own brand
products. This was achieved in 1999."

http://www.safeway.co.uk/cgi-bin/sea...howitem=000001

Sainsbury's

ingredients from all our own brand food, pet food and dietary
supplements."

http://www.sainsbury.co.uk/gm/

Tesco

"Tesco has removed GM ingredients from all own brand products and had
increased non-GM options by launching an extensive Organic range."

http://www.tesco.com/everyLittleHelp...etail.htm#tagm

Waitrose

"No Waitrose own label product produced since the end of March 1999
contains GM ingredients as defined by law..."

"...With effect from the end of September 1999, all the soya and maize
used in the production of the oils and additives for Waitrose products
came from "traditional" crops."

http://www.waitrose.com/about/policy.../safety_gm.asp

Notes for Editors

1. Advisory Committee on Novel Foods and Processes (ACNFP)
http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/scie...ors/novelfood/

2. GM cottonseed oil was approved by the EU, via the UK ACNFP, in
December 2002, without testing of safety for humans, animals and the
environment.

3. A web version of this article, with hyperlinks, can be found he
http://www.gmfoodnews.com/gm060103.html

Contact

Marcus Williamson
Editor, Genetically Modified Food-News

http://www.gmfoodnews.com/

Old 18-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Torsten Brinch

wrote:
"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message
.. .
agrochemical sales actually fell by 1.5% in 2002. In 2001 the
market also shrank by 4.1%, thus the new figures bring the
overall decline to 12% in the last five years.

I expect that the fall in ag chemicals is correlated to snip

Without data, your interpretation is mere speculation.

True, it is speculation but it is base on what I consider good logic.

That's a small comfort, considering that the result of your
speculation is inconsistent with the data you have at hand,
but choose to ignore.

Where is it inconstat wiht the data?

That's not the point. You are just digging yourself in deeper,
now pretending to have looked at the data available to you,
still seeing no inconsistence.

I think my assment is more likey to be correct than yours as i have 45 years
experaince framing and heve farmener rasing 200 acres of no till cotton ..

m-)

You and I have discussed agchem statistics, and potential
insecticide use reductions in relation to BT cotton, on many
occasions before, and you have found me fully up to the task.

Old 18-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Jim Webster

wrote in message

Interestingly in the UK it seems a lot of the fuss over GM is beginning

blow over.

On the contrary! No supermarket will dare to put GM ingredients in its
products for fear of losing customers...

regards
Marcus

funny that

I was at a feed meeting with a compounder with several representitives for
buying groups.These buying groups supply several different dairies and
therefore several different supermarket chains
The compounder pointed out he couldn't put in non-gm soya without jacking
feed prices a lot. Did we need non-gm soya.
Everyone just shrugged and said that the supermarkets aren't going to pay
for it so they don't want it, so the soya is just going in on price and so
will be ordinary commodity soya

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - News from gmfoodnews.com

UK Supermarkets maintain strict GM free policy for 2003

gmfoodnews.com has completed its annual survey of UK supermarkets for
their position on genetically modified (GM) food and ingredients for
2003.

The results show that opposition to GM foods is as strong as it was in
1999, when supermarkets removed GM foods and ingredients from their
shelves. Just as in 1999, no UK supermarket includes GM food or
ingredients in their own-brand products. Increasingly, supermarkets
are also specifying GM-free feed for animals producing their meat,
milk and eggs.

ooops, pity about that. Except they don't actually pay any extra to cover
extra costs, so what do they get?
Put it like this. If they want guaranteed gm free milk then they will have
to pay a premium, either to have it produced in the UK or imported from
abroad.
They are not willing to pay that premium, so it isn't going to happen

but then if you do believe major multinational corporations, then fine

Jim Webster