Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Gordon Couger

Default Vegans, facts, ranting, bigotry and other related subjects....

"Oz" wrote in message
Michael Percy writes
Oz wrote:

Michael Percy writes
Oz wrote:

Also note I specified 10" when *I* wanted it (not when the good lord
deems I should have some).

Yup! That's the one! Tze water budget, please...

1" when I have a 1" water deficit.
Typically every three weeks in the summer.

Typical of what, summer 'as you know it', or the budget case?

(Sorry, I didn't meant to interrupt, but you were just about to make an
estimate of the rainfall demands in the summer period. Do go on.)

You are stunningly stupid.

What is the point of estimating water demands for rainfed agriculture?
There isn't.
I know nobody in the UK that does it.

So there *are* no water demand figures for cereals in the UK (and I
doubt even on the continent).

Please try and use your brain cell, it's not very hard.

What does the poor sod do on the summers it does rain. It's not too bad the
first year but the second and the third are troublesome. I still have a
little dry land in west Texas he cane farm for the same rate the require guy
pays on dry law farms. If he as is good as he claims let him put his money
ware his mouth it.

Gordon

Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Jim Webster

Michael Percy wrote in message
Gordon Couger wrote:
"Oz" wrote in message
Oz wrote:
Also note I specified 10" when *I* wanted it (not when the

good lord
deems I should have some).

What does the poor sod do on the summers it does rain. It's not too

bad
the
first year but the second and the third are troublesome. I still

have a
little dry land in west Texas he cane farm for the same rate the

require
guy pays on dry law farms. If he as is good as he claims let him put

his
money ware his mouth it.

You can say that again. Let him show us tze water budget.

as you are the one with the fixation about water budgets (I've never met
anyone in Northern Europe who ever prepared one), you produce a water
buget for our edification and delight.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

Mike

Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Oz

Michael Percy writes
Oz wrote:

At what latitude, what average air humidity, and what air temperature
(year round) compared to Eastern england?

(We do not understand why latitude is important to you, but if is we
would look for you more up north, in the Amur region.)

The climate is generally dry and arid with the rain you asked for 10".
Most rain is in summerr, reflecting the 3:7 split winter:summer of
your draft inputs to tze water budget. The mean annual temperature is a few
degrees less than the mean for east england.

The mean annual is not particularly important. What is important is the
summer temperatures. Perhaps you could give me the air max/min RH,
rainfall and max daily temperatures broken down by month. I rather doubt
the latter will bear any resemblance to the UK.

I at no time suggested that 10" wasn't marginal for rainfall even here,

We think you have, Sir:

"With the right timing of rainfall I would be producing similar yields
with a 10" rainfall (probably more) than with my 20" rainfall."

That *is* marginal. Marginal means no latitude for error.

"In the UK, for example, were I blessed with 10" rainfall evenly spread
through the year to roughly match transpiration I would be growing
massive crops with nary a worry in the world."

..

Tze water budget, please Can we see it?

Perhaps you could give yours for the amur region,
since there are none for the UK (as you know).

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Oz

Michael Percy writes

You are trashing about with semantics to support a lost case. Give it up.

Hardly.

But it makes your claim of sub 20" rainfall as being invariably
unfarmable look pretty sick.

Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Oz

Michael Percy writes
Gordon Couger wrote:

Oz knows what he is talking about.

Oz: "In the UK, for example, were I blessed with 10" rainfall evenly spread
through the year to roughly match transpiration I would be growing massive
crops with nary a worry in the world."

And you've come to say .... that you agree??

Mostly because you still do not seem to have grasped that rainfall per
se tells you only a small part of the story.

Now someone with a modest grasp of the problem (an IT consultant in
urban southern states) grasped it immediately.

Which suggests you are either stupid or ignorant.
Possibly both.

Which is compounded by your repetitive demands for a water budget
despite being repeatedly told that these are no figures to produce this.
The fact that people in parts of the UK with sub-20" rainfall (of which
a significant part is lost in drainage) do rather well. One, indeed,
posts in the UK agpress.

Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Oz

Michael Percy writes

Tell me, how much rainfall would actually be needed in the UK, if you spread
it through the year to roughly match evapotranspiration.

Between 10 and 20, I would guess.

Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Oz

Michael Percy writes
Oz wrote:

Michael Percy writes

Tell me, how much rainfall would actually be needed in the UK, if you
spread it through the year to roughly match evapotranspiration.

Between 10 and 20, I would guess.

Chuckle. And you should have bloody known by now....

Don't guess, find out what experiment says about it.

I've never seen it published.

There ought to be some information for potato growers but what I saw
some decades ago referred to the required acre-inches one should have
for storage to cover except for worst year in ten. The problem there is
that you irrigate for deficit and then you promptly get 1" rain, your
expensively irrigated water runs out of the field drains and
waterlogging reduces yields.

However you claim to have the figures so give us a url.

Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Oz

Michael Percy writes

Buhuhu. And you even haven't been looking SO hard...lol

OK, so it's very clear that you haven't a clue.

You thought you could define aridity by looking in your atlas and apart
from that know nothing about the subject.

plonk

Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Jim Webster

Oz wrote:

Michael Percy writes

Buhuhu. And you even haven't been looking SO hard...lol

plonk

And he REALLY can't be bothered to read my posts ... so he adds me to

his
killfile

well given your sole contribution to the debate was to ask fatuous
questions about water budgets. Asking the English about water budgets
makes as much sense as me asking gordon if he has filled his IACS form
in. It merely displays the ignorance of the questioner to advantage.

Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Michelle Fulton

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Asking the English about water budgets
makes as much sense as me asking gordon if he has filled his IACS form
in.

Very good point! I've been reading this thread and have gotten almost as
frustrated as Oz ;-)

Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Jim Webster

Michelle Fulton wrote in message
y.com...
"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Asking the English about water budgets
makes as much sense as me asking gordon if he has filled his IACS

form
in.

Very good point! I've been reading this thread and have gotten almost

as
frustrated as Oz ;-)

I got the impression that Michael Percy had read about water budgets
once and wanted to see what one looked like.

Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Gordon Couger

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Michelle Fulton wrote in message
y.com...
"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Asking the English about water budgets
makes as much sense as me asking gordon if he has filled his IACS

form
in.

Very good point! I've been reading this thread and have gotten almost

as
frustrated as Oz ;-)

I got the impression that Michael Percy had read about water budgets
once and wanted to see what one looked like.

Well I expect I can find any number of then at extension sites in Texas and
Oklahoma. Rather extensive ones on done to size irrigation systems once and
then reduced to a look up tables for soil type and crop.

I expect that they world be a forgin to the UK as filling out paper work on
doctoring calves would be to me.

I am sure that you do some irrigation but the size of them and the varying
climate and soils you go by expert experiance more than trying to match all
the equations to you climate that varies by the mile.

All those water budget equations don't take into account the rain fall
anyway so they are only truly valid in the desert. To use them you have a
number of K factor in them
--
Gordon

Gordon Couger
Stillwater, OK
www.couger.com/gcouger

Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Jim Webster

Gordon Couger wrote in message

Well I expect I can find any number of then at extension sites in

Texas and
Oklahoma. Rather extensive ones on done to size irrigation systems

once and
then reduced to a look up tables for soil type and crop.

I expect that they world be a forgin to the UK as filling out paper

work on
doctoring calves would be to me.

I am sure that you do some irrigation but the size of them and the

varying
climate and soils you go by expert experiance more than trying to

match all
the equations to you climate that varies by the mile.

All those water budget equations don't take into account the rain fall
anyway so they are only truly valid in the desert. To use them you

have a
number of K factor in them

it did rather strike me that doing one for an area with five feet of
rain was something of a waste of time.