Old 20-02-2003, 07:44 AM
Oz

Default Power stats for Forage Harvesters

Gordon Couger writes

We also had a difficult time building the plow and getting it to work. There
is more to one than there appears to be and modern methods couldn't do much
to improve it either. The only thing we could do was use a wider point for a
few days after a rain than they do. But the price of steel over there is
such that the sweep is about 5 times as expensive as the point they use. The
point they use is not that much different than the narrow chisel point on a
chisel plow. It is just not reversible.

This doesn't surprise me.
It has had an extended development period already.

Doubtless the point could be readily made from old truck springs.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Old 20-02-2003, 08:24 AM
Jim Webster

Oz wrote in message
Dean Hoffman writes

.. I think a human in good shape can put out about
about 1/3 horsepower. Let's see, 150 divided by 3 equals 450 people

equals
900 feet compacting the ground.

'Good shape'! I expect the average continuous output for a city

dweller
might be significantly less, probably more like 100W. That puts you up
to 1500 people with 3000 feet. Hmm if each eats 1 kg grains a day then
just feeding them for a year will cost you 600T! Do you think they

would
expect clothes and heating as well?

Doesn't seem very efficient to me, but a heck of a good-sized hoeing
gang.

remember to add in the administration and motivation costs as well.
overseers with whips don't come cheap :-))

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

Old 20-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Oz

Jim Webster writes
Oz wrote in message
Dean Hoffman writes

. I think a human in good shape can put out about
about 1/3 horsepower. Let's see, 150 divided by 3 equals 450 people

equals
900 feet compacting the ground.

'Good shape'! I expect the average continuous output for a city

dweller
might be significantly less, probably more like 100W. That puts you up
to 1500 people with 3000 feet. Hmm if each eats 1 kg grains a day then
just feeding them for a year will cost you 600T! Do you think they

would
expect clothes and heating as well?

Doesn't seem very efficient to me, but a heck of a good-sized hoeing
gang.

remember to add in the administration and motivation costs as well.
overseers with whips don't come cheap :-))

Dang it, you always see the downside ......

Old 20-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Gilgamesh

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes
Oz wrote in message
[...]

Don't give up - I'm sure there are plenty who would pay to get a chance with
the whip (on either side, too).

--
May glorious Shamash make his face to shine upon you

Gilgamesh of Uruk
(Include Enkidu in the subject line to avoid the spam trap)

Old 21-02-2003, 12:22 AM
Dean Hoffman

On 2/20/03 12:41 AM, in article , "Oz"
wrote:

Mari Meron still about?
Doubtless wizard baez still slums it occasionally.

I don't remember either of those names at sci.physics. I think that's
where I saw this puzzle. Take a circular pasture with grass growth even
over the full area. Put a stake at the edge of the pasture with a rope on
it. Tie a hungry critter on the other end. How long should the rope be so
the critter can get to only 1/3 of the pasture? Express the length in
relation to one of the circle's dimensions such as radius, diameter or
circumference.

Dean

I don't know the answer.

Old 21-02-2003, 01:17 AM
Gilgamesh

wrote:

Mari Meron still about?
Doubtless wizard baez still slums it occasionally.

I don't remember either of those names at sci.physics. I think that's
where I saw this puzzle. Take a circular pasture with grass growth even
over the full area. Put a stake at the edge of the pasture with a rope on
it. Tie a hungry critter on the other end. How long should the rope be

so
the critter can get to only 1/3 of the pasture? Express the length in
relation to one of the circle's dimensions such as radius, diameter or
circumference.

Dean

I don't know the answer.

Area of pasture = 3.1471 * radius * radius.
Radius for 1/3rd area = 1/(3^.5) full radius.

We knew that back in Sumer in 3000 BC, but it looked more elegant in
cuneiform.

Old 21-02-2003, 04:41 AM
Gordon Couger

"Oz" wrote in message
Gordon Couger writes

We also had a difficult time building the plow and getting it to work.

There
is more to one than there appears to be and modern methods couldn't do

much
to improve it either. The only thing we could do was use a wider point

for a
few days after a rain than they do. But the price of steel over there is
such that the sweep is about 5 times as expensive as the point they use.

The
point they use is not that much different than the narrow chisel point on

chisel plow. It is just not reversible.

This doesn't surprise me.
It has had an extended development period already.

Doubtless the point could be readily made from old truck springs.

They use anything they can find for steel. There has been a great deal of
research done on steels for tillage tools and it still goes on. That is one
place we can improve on over the guys that designed plows and tillage tools.
They spent a lot longer observing them than we do now. They walked behind
them all day every day and many of the resharpened them themselves and could
try anything that they could imagine. The R&D done by an illiterate farmer
that spends his life working with, walking behind and building tillage tools
is better than a Ph.D. with teaching duties, committee meetings and papers
to write.

One of the openers on John Deere grain drills is well over 100 years old
with no changes but ball bearings and better steels.

On the observation side of things I know more about what happens to soil in
high rainfall events than most hydrologist. I have been caught out in a lot
more of them and seen the results of a lot more of them than most
researchers. They didn't spend 20 years on a tractor seat doing custom
plowing on all kinds of soils.

Gordon

Old 21-02-2003, 07:06 AM
Oz

Gordon Couger writes

One of the openers on John Deere grain drills is well over 100 years old
with no changes but ball bearings and better steels.

Good job you didn't post on uba as someone would likely chip in to say
their drill was over 100 years old.

Mind you shovel and hoe design is even earlier.

Old 21-02-2003, 08:02 AM
Jim Webster

Dean Hoffman wrote in message

Where is Sumer?

was rather than is.

the home of what was probably the first civilisation, based on the two
rivers of the Tigris and Euphrates, now southern Iraq. The Sumerians
were the ones that the Babylonians copied.
One city name that might ring a bell from sunday school is Ur.

Old 21-02-2003, 12:08 PM
Oz

Dean Hoffman writes

I don't remember either of those names at sci.physics. I think that's
where I saw this puzzle. Take a circular pasture with grass growth even
over the full area. Put a stake at the edge of the pasture with a rope on
it. Tie a hungry critter on the other end. How long should the rope be so
the critter can get to only 1/3 of the pasture? Express the length in
relation to one of the circle's dimensions such as radius, diameter or
circumference.

1) Take the radius, r. That is the original length of the rope.

Now we know from elementary geometry that area is pi*r^2,
so for 1/3 area we need a radius of 1/(square root 3).

2) Take a right angled triangle of side r and hypotenuse 2r.
Again this is elementary geometry, compass and straight edge stuff.
You can use a 3:4:5 triangle for a 90deg if you like.

The other side will be square root of 3r in length.
Cut a length of string off at sqrt(3).

3) Divide the string into three equal parts by folding it (free ends at
opposite ends).

This will have length sqrt(3)/3 = 1/sqrt(3) which is what we want,

so cut the string into three equal lengths. Each gives you the length
you require for your string.

Easy ....

Old 21-02-2003, 12:09 PM
Oz

Jim Webster writes
Dean Hoffman wrote in message
.. .

Where is Sumer?

was rather than is.

the home of what was probably the first civilisation, based on the two
rivers of the Tigris and Euphrates, now southern Iraq. The Sumerians
were the ones that the Babylonians copied.
One city name that might ring a bell from sunday school is Ur.

weren't the akkadians even earlier?

Old 21-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Jim Webster

Oz wrote in message
Jim Webster writes
Dean Hoffman wrote in message
.. .

Where is Sumer?

was rather than is.

the home of what was probably the first civilisation, based on the

two
rivers of the Tigris and Euphrates, now southern Iraq. The Sumerians
were the ones that the Babylonians copied.
One city name that might ring a bell from sunday school is Ur.

weren't the akkadians even earlier?

nah, Sumer & Akkad, the Akkadians were the scruffy barbarians off the
plains who came to gawp at the great cities and stayed to rule them. It
was the Akkadians who built competing Sumerian city states into an
Empire which may well have included all of modern Iraq and much of
Syria, and may even have reached Turkey and the med (accounts vary.)
The Akkadians had the sense to spot a good culture and stuck with it,
continuing to use Sumerian writing, bureaucracy and similar, and indeed
it is a bit tricky to spot who absorbed whom.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be

accepted.

Any pecan growers or harvesters out there? SteveB[_13_] Gardening 0 01-01-2014 05:54 PM
Forage Oats Gallagher Gardening 2 02-03-2004 08:09 AM
Forage Oats Gallagher Gardening 0 29-02-2004 10:41 PM
Power stats for Forage Harvesters Dave Chalton sci.agriculture 21 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
215 Gallon w/Algae - Stats SandyBelle Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 07:17 AM