Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Lotus

Default Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease

"Jim Webster" wrote in message ...

Lotus wrote in message

[..]
Someone was thoughtful enough to find a supplier of
mineralised supplementary feed licks for cattle
http://www.ccfarmers.co.uk/feed.asp , but that's still
a lick. I see Dry Cow Feed Blocks on the same page,
but are they blocks of mineralised feed like Michael
showed us ;
http://www.martindalefeed.com/Products/BLOCKS/3307.htm
and are these given to suckler herds in the UK?

some suckler cows in the UK will have access to some thing similar. (to
save people wasting time going on line, it is a US firm producing for
their market. The ingredients are
INGREDIENTS
Defluorinated phosphate, salt, grain products, cane molasses, magnesium
oxide, vegetable oil, ferrous oxide, manganese sulfate, calcium
carbonate, zinc sulfate, sodium selenite, ferrous sulfate, potassium
chloride, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, cobalt carbonate)

Here's info' from a UK supplier;

FEED BLOCKS

With molasses and cereal-based formulations including Soya,
barley and maize, we have struck a balance between making
blocks which are hard enough to stand up to the worst weather
and providing blocks which give your stock ready access to the
supplementary minerals, vitamins and trace elements essential
for health and production.

More 'goodness' in every lick - a high level of dry ingredients
with a higher nutrient density.

Consistent degree of hardness - for more uniform consumption.

Subject to formula selected and animal weight, intake of these
products should range between 0.5 - 1 kg/head/day for cattle
and 30 - 90 gms/head/day for sheep.

Manganese - 400 mg/kg.

I got a thing though the post this morning from Pye farm feeds selling
something similar, but they call theirs buckets. This is because they
pour the mix into plastic bucket rather than a mould. It means you can
use a higher proportion of molasses.

Molassed Mineral Buckets

Mineral Buckets contain high mineral levels of both the major
and trace elements in equivalent amounts to many free access
mineral powders. They are available in a molasses block so that
stock find it very attractive and palatable and they are waste free.
Being unaffected by wet conditions makes them ideal for use with
both grazing and housed stock.

Daily Intakes to be expected:
Cattle - 100-300g per head per day
Sheep - 15-50g per head per day

Manganese1600mg/kg.

These products are basically grain and molasses based, although some
will contain a protein source as well. Depending on what the block is
wanted for it will contain more or less of various minerals.

Like at http://www.dallaskeith.fsnet.co.uk/ where I got the above info'.

Those for out wintering beef cows might well contain more calcium, those
fed at calving could well contain more magnesium. Calcium:Phosphorus
ration will vary as well.

As I said some beef cows in the UK will have access to that sort of
thing, others might get a compound feed instead, others a straight such
as maizs gluten, others might get nothing but silage or hay. It will
depend entirely on how the animal is wintered, the sort of condition it
was in prior to housing (or prior to commencing feeding).

That is -exactly- what we needed to know.

'2.8 Dairy herds were far more affected by BSE than beef herds.
The recorded incidence among dairy herds between 1 April 1985
and 31 March 1988 was 311 out of 44,767 herds (0.69 per cent),
considerably higher than the incidence in beef suckler herds
(11 out of 54,166 herds, or 0.02 per cent). 9 This was probably due
to the lower levels of concentrate feeding in beef suckler herds, 10 '
http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/report/...6/chapter2.htm

Blocks is just one more possibility in the ration. I know people who
have used them for rearing dairy heifers, and there are blocks available
formulated for dry cows, or even for use in the milking parlour when
animals are on complete diet regimes.

(8) Section 4.8.3.2 ( page 36)
"FURTHERMORE, BEEF COWS WHICH OBTAIN MOST OF
THEIR FOOD FROM PASTURE , ARE MORE LIKELY THAN
DAIRY COWS TO EXPERIENCE AN ABNORMAL IMBALANCE
IN DIETARY INTAKE OF THE TRACE ELEMENTS COPPER,
MOLYBDENUM, SELENIUM AND MANGANESE, SINCE
COMPOUND FEEDS FOR DAIRY COWS ARE SUPPLEMENTED
WITH THESE TRACE ELEMENTS AS NECESSARY TO MEET
NUTRIENT REQUIREMENTS. ACCORDINGLY, A HIGHER
INCIDENCE OF BSE WOULD BE EXPECTED IN BEEF COWS
RATHER THAN IN DAIRY COWS. THE REVERSE IS TRUE."
http://www.purdeyenvironment.com/Horne.htm
Capitalised for EMPHASIS only.

You say;

and MBM has a better match

What in MBM exactly?

Phosmet - Prions - Manganese - Fat - ?

Would you like to ask the Audience?

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Lotus

"Gordon Couger" wrote in message
[..]
I can by salt, salt blocks, minerals mineral blocks, protien blocks with
minerals added, mollases with minerals added, and feed wiht minerals added
buy I can't buy salt licks a the store on the the real estate agent.

A salt lick is a place not a thing here.

I'm speaking from long-time experience in matters equine.
We call a 'mineral block' a 'salt-lick'. Funny old world, what.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Jim Webster

Lotus wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in message

snipped 6KB of copy and paste stuff.

All stuff you said you couldn't find

Lotus wrote in message

Nope, can't find a SINGLE reference to the use of mineralised
FEED blocks in the UK.

amazing what you can do when you try

next lesson is how to snip. A lot of people have now set their
newsreaders to delete unread anything over 200 lines. I suggest that you
set that as a maximum and we will gradually bring you down until you can
post messages of about 4KB like everyone else.

----------------------------------
Lotus wrote in message
"Gordon Couger" wrote in message
[..]
I can by salt, salt blocks, minerals mineral blocks, protien blocks

with
minerals added, mollases with minerals added, and feed wiht minerals

added
buy I can't buy salt licks a the store on the the real estate agent.

A salt lick is a place not a thing here.

I'm speaking from long-time experience in matters equine.
We call a 'mineral block' a 'salt-lick'. Funny old world, what.

and shows that you have to know what you are talking about, you cannot
just assume that what is correct useage in one area will be the same in
another.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Lotus

"Jim Webster" wrote in message ...

Snip 3Kb of rank evasion.

MAJOR cop-out, Jim.

The audience will make up their own minds, based on the evidence.

That's all I could ever ask.

Lotus.

--
Time exists so that everything doesn't happen at once.
Space exists so that everything doesn't happen to you.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Jim Webster

Lotus wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Snip 3Kb of rank evasion.

MAJOR cop-out, Jim.

The audience will make up their own minds, based on the evidence.

That's all I could ever ask.

don't worry, they will

by the way, have those inner earth beings you are so keen on been
talking to you recently?

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Oz

Jim Webster writes

Oz wrote in message
Jim Webster writes
Oz wrote in message

The only salt lick (place) he is likely to find is called 'the

sea'.

at least that is handy.

Not for me.

don't worry, with global warming it will get nearer :-))

You gonna move into salmon farming then, then?

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Jim Webster

Oz wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

Oz wrote in message
Jim Webster writes
Oz wrote in message

The only salt lick (place) he is likely to find is called 'the

sea'.

at least that is handy.

Not for me.

don't worry, with global warming it will get nearer :-))

You gonna move into salmon farming then, then?

ranching them :-))

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Jonathan Ball

Gordon Couger wrote:
"Jonathan Ball" wrote in message

Gordon Couger wrote:

"Jonathan Ball" wrote in message

1 min.

Lotus wrote in message

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Gordon Couger wrote in message
ps.asp.att.net...

You need a hobby. Try drink and women.

tsk tsk, temper temper,

He has a point, jim.

so in your own words what is the difference between a salt lick and

feed block.

Try actually addressing my points first, jim.

I can't find a SINGLE reference to the use of mineralised
FEED blocks in the UK.

now that's tough because I've seen them stacked up to the roof in many
feed merchants.

Someone was thoughtful enough to find a supplier of
mineralised supplementary feed licks for cattle
http://www.ccfarmers.co.uk/feed.asp , but that's still
a lick.

A lick and a block are the same thing, you ignoramus.

Not in my part of the world. A lick is a natual salt deposit.

Not if it's being sold by a commercial company, you doofus.

I can by salt, salt blocks, minerals mineral blocks, protien blocks with
minerals added, mollases with minerals added, and feed wiht minerals added
buy I can't buy salt licks a the store on the the real estate agent.

A salt lick is a place not a thing here.

Your experience is too narrow, and because you're a
limited, narrower thinker, you naively believe that
your experience is THE experience. Look at that page:
http://www.ccfarmers.co.uk/feed.asp This company
says they sell feed licks and salt licks. Are you
suggesting they don't know their product line?

You're an idiot. Your "part of the world" is a little
backwater full of lowbrow idiots.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Jonathan Ball

Someone was thoughtful enough to find a supplier of
mineralised supplementary feed licks for cattle
http://www.ccfarmers.co.uk/feed.asp , but that's still
a lick.

A lick and a block are the same thing, you ignoramus.

Not in my part of the world. A lick is a natual salt deposit.

that is one problem with using websites without basic knowledge.

No, it's the problem with Gordon using the internet,
PERIOD. He has ONLY the most narrow, parochial, basic
knowledge; he is ill equipped to talk about the larger
world.

Too many terms mean different things in different countries.

If he weren't such a provincial moron, Gordon *could*
have noted that ~~shitweed~~ wrote:

I can't find a SINGLE reference to the use of
mineralised FEED blocks in the UK.

And then he *might* have noted that the page I
referenced was for a company selling feed licks/blocks
and salt licks/blocks IN THE UK.

My reference and comments were apropos to
~~shitweed's~~ claim. The moron Gordon's fatuous,
narrow-minded comments are not.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Michelle Fulton

"Jonathan Ball" wrote in message

You're an idiot. Your "part of the world" is a little
backwater full of lowbrow idiots.

Hey :-o That is unnecessary!

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Jim Webster

Jonathan Ball wrote in message

You're an idiot. Your "part of the world" is a little
backwater full of lowbrow idiots.

Jonathan does have an interpersonal relations problem

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Jonathan Ball

Jim Webster wrote:
Jonathan Ball wrote in message

A lick and a block are the same thing, you ignoramus.

Not in my part of the world. A lick is a natual salt deposit.

Not if it's being sold by a commercial company, you doofus.

in the UK a lick will tend to be salt based, with added minerals

a feed block will tend to be molasses and grain based with added
minerals.

yet there will inevitably be exceptions to this rule and some companies
will call their products "buckets" or "Rockies" or other terms of their
own. This isn't a problem as like the Texan company mentioned earlier,
they will include a list of most of the ingredients.

But do not try to use names used in one country in another, as they will
not necessarily be the same. Gordon is from the USA where they may speak
English but only after a fashion, and call things differently. This is
why people like Lotus who don't know anything meaningful about
agriculture in the real world can make themselves look complete idiots
when they quote US websites in a UK context or vice-versa.

You're not much brighter than Gordon; no surprise
you're trying to pull his scorched balls out of the fire.

Reread ~~shitweed's~~ claim:

I can't find a SINGLE reference to the use of
mineralised FEED blocks in the UK.

and then note that the site I referenced is a UK site.
That company CLEARLY is using "lick" and "block"
synonymously.

You're even stupider than I thought, because the
company in that site is not using the word "Rockies" as
a generic term; it is a trademarked name of a
particular lick ( = block) that they sell.

Proving that you graze hourly in the pasture of
stupidity, you are guaranteed to come back with some
sophomoric retort to try to show that you didn't
misunderstand. You DID misunderstand; little nuggets
of stupidity-grass will be falling from your lips even
as you compose your dimwitted retort.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Jim Webster

Jonathan Ball wrote in message
Jim Webster wrote:

Reread ~~shitweed's~~ claim:

I did, some days ago.

but never mind, the nice lady will come with your medication soon and
the nasty dreams will stop.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Jonathan Ball

Lotus wrote:
"Jim Webster" wrote in message ...

Snip 3Kb of rank evasion.

MAJOR cop-out, Jim.

The audience will make up their own minds, based on the evidence.

That's all I could ever ask.

You shouldn't. The audience concluded years ago that
your a liar and an idiot, and an irrational believer in
make-believe bullshit like "inner earth beings".

Present your INDEPENDENTLY VERIFIABLE evidence that
they exist, ~~shitweed~~.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Jim Webster

Michelle Fulton wrote in message
. ..

"Jonathan Ball" wrote in message

You're an idiot. Your "part of the world" is a little
backwater full of lowbrow idiots.

Hey :-o That is unnecessary!

it's OK, just don't take him seriously.

I think his qualifications are from somewhere in California.