Old 08-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Oz

Default Meat diet

Jim Webster writes
I'm trying to find out just how much meat people eat a day in those pastoral
societies where they don't grow much in the way of crops, because they are
nomadic or similar, and I just wondered if anyone had any nutritional
information

Funnily enough I nearly posted this yesterday, but decided nobody would
be interested.

Sci Am, special edition "Human Evolution" (display to 25/aug03) p70

Hunter Tot Energy Animal Plant
Gatherer kcal/day foods foods
!Kung 2100 33 67
Inuit 2350 96 4

Pastoralists
Turkana (Kenya) 1411 80 20
Evenki (Russia) 2820 41 59

Agriculturalists
Quechua (Peru) 2002 5 95

Industrial
US 2250 23 77

========

Contemporary hunter gatherers derive on average 40-60% of their diet
from animal foods.

Chimps derive only 5-7% from animal foods.

Neanderthals had the same diet as local foxes and wolves.
[So probably not terribly vegetarian]

========

Humans: energy intake is typical of a mammal of the same bodyweight.

Note that the % of total energy intake used by the brain is:

Homo sapiens : 20-25%
nonhuman primates: 8-10%
other mammals: 3-5%
est australopithecine: 11%

[To have a *relatively* large brain but the same intake requires that
other bodyparts are relatively shrunk. This is likely why humans are
light on muscle mass and digestive system compared to most other mammals
of the same size. Worse, the brain requires 16 time the energy supply as
the same mass of resting muscle.]

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Old 08-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Michelle Fulton

"Oz" wrote in message

Worse, the brain requires 16 time the energy supply as
the same mass of resting muscle.]

Even if the brain seems to be at rest all of the time, as is the case with
many, it seems? Is the brain like a muscle, in that it consumes more energy
with use, even though it isn't moving, per se?

Old 08-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Oz

Michelle Fulton writes

Is the brain like a muscle, in that it consumes more energy
with use, even though it isn't moving, per se?

Regrettably, hardly at all ....

Old 08-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Oz

[Erratum: H.Erectus added]

Humans: energy intake is typical of a mammal of the same bodyweight.

Note that the % of total energy intake used by the brain is:

Homo sapiens : 20-25%
nonhuman primates: 8-10%
other mammals: 3-5%

est australopithecine: 11%
est homo erectus 17%

NB This may be of RESTING metabolism, not total energy (the article is
rather ambiguous).

Old 08-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Hämisch Macbeth

"Michelle Fulton" wrote in message
"Oz" wrote in message

Worse, the brain requires 16 time the energy supply as
the same mass of resting muscle.]

Even if the brain seems to be at rest all of the time, as is the case with
many, it seems? Is the brain like a muscle, in that it consumes more

energy
with use, even though it isn't moving, per se?

And of course balding is natures way of increasing heat dissipation in
really bright individuals

Old 08-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Mary Fisher

"Oz" wrote in message

Worse, the brain requires 16 time the energy supply as
the same mass of resting muscle.]

Even if the brain seems to be at rest all of the time, as is the case

with
many, it seems? Is the brain like a muscle, in that it consumes more

energy
with use, even though it isn't moving, per se?

And of course balding is natures way of increasing heat dissipation

in
really bright individuals

Oh. I always thought it was a man's virility poking through because of an
excess of testosterone.

Spouse always justifies his by saying that moss doesn't grow on a busy
street but I prefer my explanation.

Mary

Old 08-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Hämisch Macbeth

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
And of course balding is natures way of increasing heat dissipation

in
really bright individuals

Oh. I always thought it was a man's virility poking through because of an
excess of testosterone.

Well I guess it is difficult to decide if the cause is excess
intelligence or virility

Old 08-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Michael Saunby

"Oz" wrote in message
Michelle Fulton writes

Is the brain like a muscle, in that it consumes more energy
with use, even though it isn't moving, per se?

Regrettably, hardly at all ....

Well at least it means there is no advantage to be gained by not using your
brain and everything to lose if you don't. Trouble is how do you get that
message across to those who don't use it?

Michael Saunby

Old 08-06-2003, 07:56 PM
David G. Bell

On Sunday, in article
"Hämisch Macbeth"
wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
And of course balding is natures way of increasing heat dissipation

in
really bright individuals

Oh. I always thought it was a man's virility poking through because of an
excess of testosterone.

Well I guess it is difficult to decide if the cause is excess
intelligence or virility

A topic for research?

"History shows that the Singularity started when Tim Berners-Lee
was bitten by a radioactive spider."
Old 08-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Hämisch Macbeth

""David G. Bell"" wrote in message
.. .
On Sunday, in article
"Hämisch Macbeth"
wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
And of course balding is natures way of increasing heat

dissipation
in
really bright individuals

Oh. I always thought it was a man's virility poking through because of

an
excess of testosterone.

Well I guess it is difficult to decide if the cause is excess
intelligence or virility

A topic for research?

Did you want to be in the bald or control group?

Old 09-06-2003, 12:44 PM
David G. Bell

On Sunday, in article

wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
And of course balding is natures way of increasing heat

dissipation
in
really bright individuals

Oh. I always thought it was a man's virility poking through because of

an
excess of testosterone.

Well I guess it is difficult to decide if the cause is excess
intelligence or virility

A topic for research?

Did you want to be in the bald or control group?

I don't have a choice in that aspect.

"History shows that the Singularity started when Tim Berners-Lee
was bitten by a radioactive spider."

How to prepare the meat of moles ??? Dan Simper Edible Gardening 11 04-03-2005 10:20 PM
Meat-eating [Was: Clarification: HOW YOU CAN HELP stop fishing?] Mike Lyle United Kingdom 9 22-07-2004 05:22 PM
The meat dish Frank Logullo Gardening 2 14-06-2004 12:05 AM
NEED FIREWOOD for fireplace, meat smoker - will cut/haul Ron M. Texas 18 01-04-2004 08:21 PM
Still eat meat, think the farmers care about their customers or the public? Sheep farms' pesticide t John United Kingdom 0 06-10-2003 11:21 PM