Old 01-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default progress report of concreteblock gardening

Felt I should make some progress report. All the seed were in by June. I
have
two size of block, the standard 16X8X8 and the 16X12X8. I use the bigger
size
for potatoes. All of the crops and vegetables are doing fine to great. I
had a problem with the husk-tomatoes in that in the wind swaying back
and forth
along the sides of the block acted like a saw and some of the stems were
damaged. But this happened only on the husk-tomatoes. For a while there,

the vegetables grown in conventional means were doing better than the
concreteblock ones but now the concreteblock ones are surpassing in
growth
to the conventional ones. Possible Explanation: while the plants were
young
and not tall enough to get out of the shade of the hole in the block
they were
less growing but once emerged from the top of the block, the block acts
as a
protector and that more rainfall and less weeds grow at the base of the
plant.

Corn does really well in this method and the worst weed seems to be
bindweed. But the biggest benefit other than the ease of taking care of
the
garden plants is that the mowing of the grass and weeds along each row
of concrete block acts like a fertilizer to the plant inside the hole of
the block.
So far the tomatoes and potatoes and corn are doing the best. The squash

are not as vigorous. Perhaps that is because I have not done any weeding
at
all since I planted them and they are now due for a weeding.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies