Old 19-07-2003, 10:43 AM
David G. Bell

Default Serfs, Farmers, CAP-Reform, and the perils of sanity in Modern

On Friday, in article
"Jim Webster" wrote:

""David G. Bell"" wrote in message

That is what you have to break away from. The grinding poverty which

doesn't
actually give you time to get away from your grinding poverty

This was the weakness of the CAP. For generally good reasons, it tried
to keep people in farming. When those reasons went away, the EU
politicians couldn't break the habit, and the whole mess of the MTR
comes from politicians being scared that people don't want to farm.

to a certain extent I can see why. In some member states, if you put half
the farmers onto the job market you would do serious things to the
unemployment statistics and get pretty big social/political problems. Do
this in the new entrants and it could get even more scary as one can imagine
the EU being blamed and a wave of anti-EU feeling in a lot of member states.

The impression I get is that Ireland has been doing as much as any EU
state to try to deal with that problem.

I feel like this government is introducing serfdom by the back door.
And they've already thrown away habeas corpus. Despite all the public
fuss about those British citizens in Camp Delta, if the yanks decide
somebody is a terrorist they just have to walk up and ask. Blunkett has
meekly signed away our protections, and we could vanish into Ashcroft's
night and mist.

There are times I feel trapped.

There are times when I look at the opposition politicians, and the
leaders of the NFU and CLA, and all the people who could be trying to
change the direction this country is heading, and I wonder why Screaming
Lord Sutch had to die.

I look at the lunatic prices for houses and land, and wonder whether any
of that money has any existence outside the collective imagination of
the financial system. I wonder what investing GBP 30 billion in
industry would have done for the country. I look at the wealth creation
that has gone from countries such as the USA and the UK, and I wonder
how long our consumerism can last before financial collapse.

I look at landlords complaining about decoupling, and the money they
will lose, when so many of them bought land a lifetime ago, or inherited
it.

I see myself living in a madhouse of greed, the only one who actually
produces anything in a sea of unreal zeroes.

Bugger the bookkeeping. I'm going to go and stroke the cat. At least
somebody knows where the food comes from.

"History shows that the Singularity started when Tim Berners-Lee
was bitten by a radioactive spider."