Old 19-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Jim Webster

Default Serfs, Farmers, CAP-Reform, and the perils of sanity in Modern Agricultural Management

""David G. Bell"" wrote in message
.. .
On Friday, in article
"Jim Webster" wrote:

""David G. Bell"" wrote in message

I feel like this government is introducing serfdom by the back door.
And they've already thrown away habeas corpus. Despite all the public
fuss about those British citizens in Camp Delta, if the yanks decide
somebody is a terrorist they just have to walk up and ask. Blunkett has
meekly signed away our protections, and we could vanish into Ashcroft's
night and mist.

There are times I feel trapped.

There are times when I look at the opposition politicians, and the
leaders of the NFU and CLA, and all the people who could be trying to
change the direction this country is heading, and I wonder why Screaming
Lord Sutch had to die.

Perhaps the death of David Kelly might be a catalyst, the might just put a
tin hat on the general feeling that the spin doctors have too much power and
if Campbell goes it could be the start of a clear out.
There was an interesting comment about Blair, 'what has he actually done
that has been worth it?'

I look at the lunatic prices for houses and land, and wonder whether any
of that money has any existence outside the collective imagination of
the financial system. I wonder what investing GBP 30 billion in
industry would have done for the country. I look at the wealth creation
that has gone from countries such as the USA and the UK, and I wonder
how long our consumerism can last before financial collapse.

We don't see the house prices to the same extent but as the London 'travel
to work' area extends we see more pressure. One symptom of the lunacy of all
this money sloshing about in the system is that the Chancellor slapped extra
Nation Insurance on us all to raise money, but suddenly got a vast bill from
all those who work in education and health who want a pay rise to cover this
big increase. It is money that doesn't exist, it just swirls round between
departments and in and out of government and never does anything.

I look at landlords complaining about decoupling, and the money they
will lose, when so many of them bought land a lifetime ago, or inherited
it.

I see myself living in a madhouse of greed, the only one who actually
produces anything in a sea of unreal zeroes.

Bugger the bookkeeping. I'm going to go and stroke the cat. At least
somebody knows where the food comes from.

It is a worrying thought, just how few people actually produce anything
tangible.
I was talking to a chap who was in charge of 'managed retreat' of a section
of coast line. They have to look at shortening a sea defence, basically
nipping of a salient at its root rather than trying to defend the entire
salient. It sort of makes sense because there isn't a lot of land involved
either way.

Yet the cost incurred on doing all the tests and meeting all the criteria
and looking into all the consequences of this action is about £400,000.
There is no way shortening the sea defences will ever pay off this cost, and
indeed even if they kept up the whole section, they would not spend that
much in the next century. Yet they are faced with paying out this money
which will be a total loss whatever happens

Jim Webster