Old 23-07-2003, 06:02 AM
James Curts

Default Goats Are West's Latest Weed Whackers

"Neil Touchet" wrote in message
news
Sorry old chap but you are full of shit!

I have a herd of goats and I must mow their pen weekly.

Contrary to bullshiters, like yourself, goats do NOT eat anything.

"John Mashey" wrote in message
om...
(colonel) wrote in message

Los Angeles Times
July 19, 2003

Goats Are West's Latest Weed Whackers
"Lawnmowers with legs" make short work of noxious plants and don't
pollute the land.

This must surely be a joke.
Maybe this works with well-controlled small herds of goats, but
unconstrained, they eat *everything* right down to the roots, leading
to erosion and desertification. They certainly contributed to the
state of the mid-East.
The old saw: "How do you make a desert? Take nay land, add goats."
shows up in Hawaii:

http://www.rarehawaii.org/goatpage/goatpage.htm

I'm very sad to hear that the Waimea Canyon on Kauai has been stripped
by the goats; that's my list of "most beautiful placaes I've been."
sigh.

Argh, technology can be good or bad, but so can "natural" (although,
of course, goats are hardly "natural" having been bred for years.
What we could use is a GM goat that avoids good plants, eats weeds,
but is careful not to strip an area to the point of erosion. (not
likely) In some places, I'd much rather have weeds than nothing. In
the farm country where I grew up, goats were not favored -
unsustainable.

Hmmm, This should bring on an interesting episode.

James Curts

Old 23-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Jim Webster

"Neil Touchet" wrote in message
news
Sorry old chap but you are full of shit!

I have a herd of goats and I must mow their pen weekly.

Contrary to bullshiters, like yourself, goats do NOT eat anything.

what is your stocking rate (relative to rain fall, soil types etc)

Obviously if you are understocked then you will have to manually keep the
grass down

Goats cause most damage when overstocked

Jim Webster

Old 23-07-2003, 09:02 AM
Oz

Jim Webster writes
what is your stocking rate (relative to rain fall, soil types etc)

Obviously if you are understocked then you will have to manually keep the
grass down

Goats cause most damage when overstocked

With erratic rainfall,
undestocked this month may be overstocked next month.

The sahel is known for erratic rainfall .....

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Old 24-07-2003, 12:08 AM
Texas Twang

On 20 Jul 2003 11:17:19 -0700, (John Mashey)
wrote:

they eat *everything* right down to the roots, leading
to erosion and desertification.

you must be mistaking goats for sheep

Goats Are West's Latest Weed Whackers colonel Texas 16 24-07-2003 12:08 AM
Goats ate tree's bark Menk45 Lawns 2 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Boer Goats Shlomit sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:31 PM
Boer Goats Shlomit sci.agriculture 0 10-04-2003 07:32 PM
Goats ate tree's bark Menk45 Lawns 2 25-02-2003 05:53 AM