Old 19-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Brian Sandle

Default Byssinosis from GM cotton? (Was: Allergy to Bt cotton?)

Brian Sandle wrote:

Bt has been genetically engineered into cotton plants in an attempt to
resist the boll weevil, and they are quite widely planted.

Would the lint from Bt cotton undergarments cause any people more lung/eye
irritation than non-Bt cotton?

I think we do get nutrition through our lungs. Some things are directly
absorbed and some broken down a bit?

If Bt cotton is in the lungs will there be byssinosis more frequently than
for non-Bt?

In http://www.moth.co.nz/homepage.htm

links can be followed to pdf articles about the troubles which have
occurred with Bt spraying in New Zealand.

But there is another genetic modification aspect which could lead to
byssinosis from cotton:

Linkname: Biotechnology and the Corporate Takeover of Your Food
- Suite101.com
size: 263 lines

Take BXN (Trademark)
Cotton for example. You may be wearing clothing made from it.
This genetically manipulated crop was fabricated by Calgene in
1995. Seed from these cotton plants contains a gene from a
bacteria that detoxifies the herbicide bromoxynil. Bromoxynil is
marketed by Rhone-Poulenc under the brand name Buctril
(Trademark). Normally bromoxynil stops photosynthesis in plants.
Not on BXN (Trademark) Cotton. The bacteria gene reduces
bromoxynil to relatively benign carbolic acid and something
called DBHA. "DBHA has been found by Rhone-Poulenc's toxicity
testing to carry comparable toxicity to its parent compound,"
Lappe and Bailey's review of USDA's documents found. So what,
you say. It's just cotton. Nobody eats the stuff. "Cotton slash,
gin mill leavings and related cotton detritus are widely used in
animal foodstuffs, making up to 50 percent of traditional
silage. Cotton seed oil is also widely used as a direct human
food and cooking additive. In all three forms, we believe
residual toxicity from DBHA poses a substantial and largely
unmeasured risk," the authors write. In a chapter on the
labeling of genetically engineered food crops the authors make
it clear that, at least for the time being, government agencies
such as the Food and Drug Administration have no interest in
alerting you that you are eating DBHA laced food. Another agency
that dropped the ball on behalf of American citizens and carried
water for international agri-conglomerates is the OSHA. "More
subtly, cotton dust generated from processing of BXN (Trademark)
cotton bolls - a major cause of the occupational lung disease
known as byssinosis - will be contaminated with residues of
bromoxynil and DBHA. The resulting toxicity of cotton dust by
this novel of contamination and any accompanying illness may be
exacerbated by toxins in the dust. Neither the Occupational
Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) nor the EPA appear to
have weighed this possibility in making their safety
determinations."

Any comment?

[goes on with food safety & Roundup factors &c].

I bought a couple of pairs of t-shirts white and light grey. I
washed them before use as directed, to remove spinning machine oil
residue I suppose.

I washed the grey ones in the same washing water as the white ones,
and straight after them. But the grey ones had a funny smell. They
were not heavily dyed. The dye might be the cause but it might not
be. The smell went off mostly when they were dry. So I decided to
wear a grey one. I felt a bit dusty in the chest, and hoped it would
go off. But it didn't and the throat was very dry and the chest
irritated after several hours. I was getting better the next day not
wearing one. I don't know whether to try one of the white ones. I
have worn cotton tee shirts for many years with no trouble. I seek
it out instead of polyester.

Anyone else had trouble with light grey flecked T-shirts made in
China? Any other help?
Old 20-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Gordon Couger

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
Brian Sandle wrote:

[...]

Cotton is pure cellulose it has no proteins or enzymes from the plant. None
of the metabolites end up in fabric other than things made from motes the
short fiber that are 20% short cotton fiber and 80% gin trash and dirt. This
is made in to real low grade padding and non woven products. And almost all
motes go in the gin trash because synthetics are too cheap and ginning motes
too dirty to make it profitable.

Gordon