Old 21-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Brian Sandle

Default Byssinosis from GM cotton?

Gordon Couger wrote:

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message

"More
subtly, cotton dust generated from processing of BXN (Trademark)
cotton bolls - a major cause of the occupational lung disease
known as byssinosis - will be contaminated with residues of
bromoxynil and DBHA. The resulting toxicity of cotton dust by
this novel of contamination and any accompanying illness may be
exacerbated by toxins in the dust. Neither the Occupational
Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) nor the EPA appear to
have weighed this possibility in making their safety
determinations."

[...]
Cotton is pure cellulose it has no proteins or enzymes from the plant. None
of the metabolites end up in fabric other than things made from motes the
short fiber that are 20% short cotton fiber and 80% gin trash and dirt. This
is made in to real low grade padding and non woven products. And almost all
motes go in the gin trash because synthetics are too cheap and ginning motes
too dirty to make it profitable.

Even in China?

But thanks for the explanation. Then it looks like `raw' cotton workers
may have different toxin exposure to the people and children working with
cloth, mostly in USA.

Now I can remember some cotton towels I had some 20 years ago which had a
bad smell. But they didn't hurt my lungs. I am thinking that soaking them
a bit might have even worsened the problem. Would that be the cotton
itself breaking down relating to the dye process, and soaking aiding it?
The instruction on these T-shirts was not to soak them. No reason given, I
though it would be for colour loss, important for deeper coloured ones.

Recent news has stated how Monsanto are embarassed by this: many GM crop
fields are now plagued by weeds resistant to Roundup herbicide. That means
extra doses of Roundup and other herbicides are being applied. Does any
of it stay in the cotton lint, and on to the spun thread?

If the lint of Bt cotton does not contain Bt I wonder if insects will
adapt to eating mainly the lint, thereby escaping too much toxin. Does a
wood borer get energy from cellulose?

Old 23-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Thomas Mueller

Excerpt from Brian Sandle :

Recent news has stated how Monsanto are embarassed by this: many GM crop
fields are now plagued by weeds resistant to Roundup herbicide. That means
extra doses of Roundup and other herbicides are being applied. Does any
of it stay in the cotton lint, and on to the spun thread?

If the lint of Bt cotton does not contain Bt I wonder if insects will
adapt to eating mainly the lint, thereby escaping too much toxin. Does a
wood borer get energy from cellulose?

Heavy use of Roundup for weed control in connection with Roundup-ready GM crops
whose seeds are produced by Monsanto leads to the weeds evolving resistance to
Roundup, just as insects have evolved resistance to insecticides.

I don't know about wood borers specifically, but many herbivorous animals
digest and get energy from cellulose, which is a carbohydrate. Herbivorous
animals can thus live on a diet that would leave humans far short of energy and
protein. I presume wood borers would get energy from cellulose, since wood is
apparently a nutritious food for them.

Old 23-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Brian Sandle

Thomas Mueller wrote:
Excerpt from Brian Sandle :

Recent news has stated how Monsanto are embarassed by this: many GM crop
fields are now plagued by weeds resistant to Roundup herbicide. That means
extra doses of Roundup and other herbicides are being applied. Does any
of it stay in the cotton lint, and on to the spun thread?

If the lint of Bt cotton does not contain Bt I wonder if insects will
adapt to eating mainly the lint, thereby escaping too much toxin. Does a
wood borer get energy from cellulose?

Heavy use of Roundup for weed control in connection with Roundup-ready GM crops
whose seeds are produced by Monsanto leads to the weeds evolving resistance to
Roundup, just as insects have evolved resistance to insecticides.

As well as the fields getting filled with plants like nettles which
already had resistance.

As Gordon showed us:

http://www.couger.com/farm. He said the weeds are nettles and will
go down with the first dose of Roundup. But I have recently posted
`weeds' thread, that anettles are not so susceptible to Roundup. A
mix with pursuit is needed.

So maybe the Roundup had already applied.

Gordon said the yellow colour of those plants was younger age,
compared to his ones.

Or maybe Or maybe Roundup (glyphosate) causes some yellowing, in
Roundup Ready plants, even if not as much as Zeneca's sulfosinate

http://www.weeds.iastate.edu/weednews/monsantoad.jp

thanks Torsten.

I don't know about wood borers specifically, but many herbivorous animals
digest and get energy from cellulose, which is a carbohydrate. Herbivorous
animals can thus live on a diet that would leave humans far short of energy and
protein. I presume wood borers would get energy from cellulose, since wood is
apparently a nutritious food for them.

So we give the boll worm the option of developing resistance
biochemcially or learning to avoid too much of the part of the plant
which contains the Bt. In the latter case don't we see attempts by
biotech to put Bt in the cellulose?
Old 23-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Gordon Couger

Gordon Couger wrote:

[...]

China hand picks cotton and as a result has much cleaner gins.

But thanks for the explanation. Then it looks like `raw' cotton workers
may have different toxin exposure to the people and children working with
cloth, mostly in USA.

bull shit

Now I can remember some cotton towels I had some 20 years ago which had a
bad smell. But they didn't hurt my lungs. I am thinking that soaking them
a bit might have even worsened the problem. Would that be the cotton
itself breaking down relating to the dye process, and soaking aiding it?
The instruction on these T-shirts was not to soak them. No reason given, I
though it would be for colour loss, important for deeper coloured ones.

They get moldy.

Recent news has stated how Monsanto are embarassed by this: many GM crop
fields are now plagued by weeds resistant to Roundup herbicide. That means
extra doses of Roundup and other herbicides are being applied. Does any
of it stay in the cotton lint, and on to the spun thread?

It washes in in the many processes the cotton goes trhough.At this point
there is no Roudup in cotton Fiber.

If the lint of Bt cotton does not contain Bt I wonder if insects will
adapt to eating mainly the lint, thereby escaping too much toxin. Does a
wood borer get energy from cellulose?

Very damned little.

Do your home work before asking stupid questions.

Gordon

Old 23-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Gordon Couger

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
Thomas Mueller wrote:
Excerpt from Brian Sandle :

[...]

You don't apply round up to a crop that is not safely up and the ground to
wet to drive on. You can only apply so much and you want to time it so you
get all the weeds you can.
Or maybe Or maybe Roundup (glyphosate) causes some yellowing, in
Roundup Ready plants, even if not as much as Zeneca's sulfosinate

snip .

So we give the boll worm the option of developing resistance
biochemcially or learning to avoid too much of the part of the plant
which contains the Bt. In the latter case don't we see attempts by
biotech to put Bt in the cellulose?

The boll worm can survive with out the boll to protect him from the elements
and predators.

Either learn something about what your are taking about or go back to
****.down.my.leg.environmentally.whining.

Gordon

Old 23-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Brian Sandle

Gordon Couger wrote:

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
Thomas Mueller wrote:
Excerpt from Brian Sandle :

[...]

More likely they used pre-planting Roundup to remove weeds which
would compete with the emerging cotton. But the nettles were not
killed.

Or maybe Or maybe Roundup (glyphosate) causes some yellowing, in
Roundup Ready plants, even if not as much as Zeneca's sulfosinate

sorry, wrong spelling, shoudl be sulfosate.

snip .

So we give the boll worm the option of developing resistance
biochemcially or learning to avoid too much of the part of the plant
which contains the Bt. In the latter case don't we see attempts by
biotech to put Bt in the cellulose?

The boll worm can survive with out the boll to protect him from the elements
and predators.

How does that answer what I wrote?

The boll worm eats the cotton seeds, which are GM Bt. It cuts the
lint to get to the seed. And you say the lint gives protection to
the boll worm.

Another writer said wood borer must get energy from cellulose, since
cellulose is such a large fraction of wood. So maybe the boll worm
can adapt to eat some cellulose - the lint - instead of just using
it for protection. Or else it can develop and enzyme to detoxify
Bt. Or both.

Either learn something about what your are taking about or go back to
****.down.my.leg.environmentally.whining.

In this case I am trying to guess what biotechnicians might do in
the future. If the boll worm adapts to eating and getting energy
from lint then the biotechs might try to develop a plant with Bt in
the lint. If so some asthmatics might have more trouble with cotton
fibre. Just guessing. Some need to wear a mask when gardening and Bt
is a soil micro-organism. It may need checking some time in the
future.
Old 24-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Gordon Couger

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
snip
More likely they used pre-planting Roundup to remove weeds which
would compete with the emerging cotton. But the nettles were not
killed.

Nettles are perennial plants that root deep in the ground. The area had had
one rain in 2 months that they planted cotton after. They did not bother to
spray a few nettles when they would have to spray in week or two for the
weed that came up after the rain. You don't spend the money for a few
nettles that you will get a better kill on when they have more leaves and
growth.

Or maybe Or maybe Roundup (glyphosate) causes some yellowing, in
Roundup Ready plants, even if not as much as Zeneca's sulfosinate

sorry, wrong spelling, shoudl be sulfosate.

snip .

So we give the boll worm the option of developing resistance
biochemcially or learning to avoid too much of the part of the plant
which contains the Bt. In the latter case don't we see attempts by
biotech to put Bt in the cellulose?

The boll worm can survive with out the boll to protect him from the

elements
and predators.

How does that answer what I wrote?

The boll worm eats the cotton seeds, which are GM Bt. It cuts the
lint to get to the seed. And you say the lint gives protection to
the boll worm.

There is no lint in the boll when the boll worm infests it. The lint does
not start to form for several weeks.

Another writer said wood borer must get energy from cellulose, since
cellulose is such a large fraction of wood. So maybe the boll worm
can adapt to eat some cellulose - the lint - instead of just using
it for protection. Or else it can develop and enzyme to detoxify
Bt. Or both.

Either learn something about what your are taking about or go back to
****.down.my.leg.environmentally.whining.

In this case I am trying to guess what biotechnicians might do in
the future. If the boll worm adapts to eating and getting energy
from lint then the biotechs might try to develop a plant with Bt in
the lint. If so some asthmatics might have more trouble with cotton
fibre. Just guessing. Some need to wear a mask when gardening and Bt
is a soil micro-organism. It may need checking some time in the
future.

The worm doesn't have any way to ferment cellulose. Your speculations are
typical of the idiotic thinking that is used to oppose science of all kinds.
You have no idea how any of this works but still you think your opinion has
some value. If you want to participate in science go learn some.

Gordon

Old 24-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Mooshie peas

On 20 Aug 2003 22:14:05 GMT, Brian Sandle
posted:

Recent news has stated how Monsanto are embarassed by this: many GM crop
fields are now plagued by weeds resistant to Roundup herbicide.

Really? Can you list a few, with the problems caused?

That means
extra doses of Roundup and other herbicides are being applied.

Why would you apply Roundup to a roundup resistant weed?

Does any
of it stay in the cotton lint, and on to the spun thread?

Any of what? Cotton is virtually pure cellulose.

If the lint of Bt cotton does not contain Bt I wonder if insects will
adapt to eating mainly the lint, thereby escaping too much toxin. Does a
wood borer get energy from cellulose?

The gut bacteria of some insects can digest cellulose, like silverfish
and termites. Perhaps wood borers too. I don't know about
caterpillars.

Old 24-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Brian Sandle

In sci.med.nutrition Gordon Couger wrote:

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
snip
More likely they used pre-planting Roundup to remove weeds which
would compete with the emerging cotton. But the nettles were not
killed.

Nettles are perennial plants that root deep in the ground. The

area had had one rain in 2 months that they planted cotton after.
They did not bother to spray a few nettles when they would have to
spray in week or two for the weed that came up after the rain. You
don't spend the money for a few nettles that you will get a better
kill on when they have more leaves and growth.

Showing resistance, then. That is why Pursuit is needed?

[...]

Sometimes not knowing can help one to jump through possibly wrong
limitations that the current known imposes.

Yes cattle are grass eaters. Yes they can be fed grain to fatten
them. Then some digestion is still progressing in the intestines and
the E.Coli can increase.

Termites can have bacteria or bigger organisms in their guts which
digest cellulose for them. The bollworm may be a bit simpler, but
who knows what may happen with the GM packages present in its feed?
The strength of the Bt tapers off as the plant reaches maturity so
OPs are still required for late stage protection. Attempts to
produce cotton with two different Bt genes to try to overcome that
have produced a rather low yielding cotton.

Old 25-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Mooshie peas

On 22 Aug 2003 22:41:18 GMT, "Thomas Mueller"
posted:

Excerpt from Brian Sandle :

Recent news has stated how Monsanto are embarassed by this: many GM crop
fields are now plagued by weeds resistant to Roundup herbicide. That means
extra doses of Roundup and other herbicides are being applied. Does any
of it stay in the cotton lint, and on to the spun thread?

If the lint of Bt cotton does not contain Bt I wonder if insects will
adapt to eating mainly the lint, thereby escaping too much toxin. Does a
wood borer get energy from cellulose?

Heavy use of Roundup for weed control in connection with Roundup-ready GM crops
whose seeds are produced by Monsanto leads to the weeds evolving resistance to
Roundup, just as insects have evolved resistance to insecticides.

And this is a problem where? You are perhaps referring to a small
problem with wild radish in some areas?

I don't know about wood borers specifically, but many herbivorous animals
digest and get energy from cellulose, which is a carbohydrate.

Only those with cellulose digesting bacteria in their guts, ruminants.

Herbivorous
animals can thus live on a diet that would leave humans far short of energy and
protein.

Carbohydrates, actually.

I presume wood borers would get energy from cellulose, since wood is
apparently a nutritious food for them.

Like termites and silverfish?

Old 25-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Mooshie peas

On 22 Aug 2003 23:32:50 GMT, Brian Sandle
posted:

Thomas Mueller wrote:
Excerpt from Brian Sandle :

Recent news has stated how Monsanto are embarassed by this: many GM crop
fields are now plagued by weeds resistant to Roundup herbicide. That means
extra doses of Roundup and other herbicides are being applied. Does any
of it stay in the cotton lint, and on to the spun thread?

If the lint of Bt cotton does not contain Bt I wonder if insects will
adapt to eating mainly the lint, thereby escaping too much toxin. Does a
wood borer get energy from cellulose?

Heavy use of Roundup for weed control in connection with Roundup-ready GM crops
whose seeds are produced by Monsanto leads to the weeds evolving resistance to
Roundup, just as insects have evolved resistance to insecticides.

As well as the fields getting filled with plants like nettles which
already had resistance.

So how were nettles being dealt with in the past?
You seem to want to blame RR crops for the nettle problem.

As Gordon showed us:

http://www.couger.com/farm. He said the weeds are nettles and will
go down with the first dose of Roundup. But I have recently posted
`weeds' thread, that anettles are not so susceptible to Roundup. A
mix with pursuit is needed.

Which nettles, BTW? Nettles are pehaps not as susceptible to Roundup
as other weeds? I don't know, but it seems to me that nettles are
totally irrelevant.

So maybe the Roundup had already applied.

Applied what?

Gordon said the yellow colour of those plants was younger age,
compared to his ones.

Or maybe Or maybe Roundup (glyphosate) causes some yellowing, in
Roundup Ready plants, even if not as much as Zeneca's sulfosinate

http://www.weeds.iastate.edu/weednews/monsantoad.jpg

thanks Torsten.

How come the Zeneca plants are bigger, and the soil is yellower?

I don't know about wood borers specifically, but many herbivorous animals
digest and get energy from cellulose, which is a carbohydrate. Herbivorous
animals can thus live on a diet that would leave humans far short of energy and
protein. I presume wood borers would get energy from cellulose, since wood is
apparently a nutritious food for them.

So we give the boll worm the option of developing resistance
biochemcially or learning to avoid too much of the part of the plant
which contains the Bt. In the latter case don't we see attempts by
biotech to put Bt in the cellulose?

I wonder how they would do this?
Old 25-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Mooshie peas

On 24 Aug 2003 12:57:49 GMT, Brian Sandle
posted:

Yes cattle are grass eaters. Yes they can be fed grain to fatten
them. Then some digestion is still progressing in the intestines and
the E.Coli can increase.

Isn't E coli in the feces of EVERY animal?

Termites can have bacteria or bigger organisms in their guts which
digest cellulose for them.

What are the bigger organisms?

The bollworm may be a bit simpler, but
who knows what may happen with the GM packages present in its feed?

Nothing different than any other scenario.

The strength of the Bt tapers off as the plant reaches maturity so
OPs are still required for late stage protection.

So what? How is it WITHOUT BT?

Attempts to
produce cotton with two different Bt genes to try to overcome that
have produced a rather low yielding cotton.

And so they've given up and gone home? Do you complain at the weather
every morning?

Old 25-08-2003, 10:05 AM
Gordon Couger

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
In sci.med.nutrition Gordon Couger wrote:

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
snip
More likely they used pre-planting Roundup to remove weeds which
would compete with the emerging cotton. But the nettles were not
killed.

Nettles are perennial plants that root deep in the ground. The

area had had one rain in 2 months that they planted cotton after.
They did not bother to spray a few nettles when they would have to
spray in week or two for the weed that came up after the rain. You
don't spend the money for a few nettles that you will get a better
kill on when they have more leaves and growth.

Showing resistance, then. That is why Pursuit is needed?

Where did you get the idea Prusuit was used?

The worm doesn't have any way to ferment cellulose. Your

speculations are typical of the idiotic thinking that is used to
oppose science of all kinds. You have no idea how any of this
works but still you think your opinion has some value. If you want
to participate in science go learn some.

Sometimes not knowing can help one to jump through possibly wrong
limitations that the current known imposes.

You need some basic knowledge of the subject and you contiunly get thing
wrong like boll weevil insted of boll worm and Prusuit insted of Round Up
and thinking that short lived catipelar in an isolated environemtn can
develop a gut flora and faua to digest celulose. All not knowing does is
make a fool of yourself.

Yes cattle are grass eaters. Yes they can be fed grain to fatten
them. Then some digestion is still progressing in the intestines and
the E.Coli can increase.

E. coli0157 can be foud in cattle every where in the world no matter if they
are fed grain or not.

Termites can have bacteria or bigger organisms in their guts which
digest cellulose for them. The bollworm may be a bit simpler, but
who knows what may happen with the GM packages present in its feed?

The worm doesn't live long enough to develop the bacteria in it's gut and
there is no way to inoculate the worms gut.

Gordon

Old 25-08-2003, 10:06 AM
Gordon Couger

"Mooshie peas" wrote in message
On 22 Aug 2003 23:32:50 GMT, Brian Sandle
posted:

Thomas Mueller wrote:
Excerpt from Brian Sandle :

[...]

Zeneca's plants are soybeans not cotton at a later stage of maturity.

Gordon

Date: 20 Aug 2003 23:38:36 -0500

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 06:33:59 GMT