Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 4.47 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Newt
Forum: Gardening 04-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By Newt
Well rotted compost. Newt

Well rotted compost.

Newt
Forum: Gardening 23-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Replies: 5
Posted By Newt
How about a fragrant Viburnum...

How about a fragrant Viburnum burkwoodii?
http://flowerscentgardens.com/viburnumburk.htm

The fragrant and interesting Heptacodium miconioides aka Seven Sons...
Forum: Gardening 23-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Replies: 6
Posted By Newt
Tom, you are very welcome. I know what a troll...

Tom, you are very welcome. I know what a troll is, but I don't know what a "trollesque article" is unless it's a posting by a troll.
http://www.dwarfnet.com/glossary/trolling.shtml

Good luck with...
Forum: Gardening 22-05-2005, 04:25 AM
Replies: 7
Posted By Newt
If you feed them peanuts IN the shell, they will...

If you feed them peanuts IN the shell, they will bury them as the shell protects the peanuts. If you either break the shells in half or give them peanuts that have no shell, they will eat them and...
Forum: Lawns 21-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Replies: 5
Posted By Newt
Hi Dan, Healthy soil equals healthy turf grass...

Hi Dan,

Healthy soil equals healthy turf grass which allows for less weeds. Feed the soil organic matter such as a topdressing of 1/4" of compost in the spring and fall and the worms will mix it in...
Forum: Gardening 21-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Replies: 7
Posted By Newt
I agree - rabbit fencing. Newt

I agree - rabbit fencing.
Newt
Forum: Gardening 21-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Replies: 4
Posted By Newt
Hi Steve, I'm in Maryland zone 7 and mine acted...

Hi Steve,

I'm in Maryland zone 7 and mine acted that way the first two seasons in the ground. Three quarters of it appeared to die off. I cut the dead stems to the ground after waiting for the...
Forum: United Kingdom 21-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Replies: 10
Posted By Newt
Hi Willobie, There are several reasons that...

Hi Willobie,

There are several reasons that lilacs fail to bloom. You've already gotten some of them. Here's the most common reasons.

Not mature enough as it can take 5 to 7 years for new sprouts...
Forum: Gardening 21-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By Newt
Ann, thank you so much. It's good to know that...

Ann, thank you so much. It's good to know that they are helpful. Sometimes folks don't respond and I often wonder if they are helpful.

I'm going to doggie sit for my DD and SIL next week and...
Forum: Gardening 21-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Replies: 5
Posted By Newt
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Take a look here...

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Take a look here at picture #62.
http://imageevent.com/mdvaden/treerepair;jsessionid=k258ow7zh1.buffalo_s

You might also find this...
Forum: Gardening 21-05-2005, 02:56 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By Newt
Hi Andrew, I'm sure that isn't a begonia. I...

Hi Andrew,

I'm sure that isn't a begonia. I thought it might be some sort of Iresine, but I don't think so as their colors are more...
Forum: Gardening 21-05-2005, 02:24 AM
Replies: 1
Posted By Newt
Hi Mike, You might want to check with your local...

Hi Mike,

You might want to check with your local extension service as to what might be active in your area.
http://www.rcre.rutgers.edu/garden/

Newt
Forum: Gardening 21-05-2005, 01:49 AM
Replies: 1
Posted By Newt
Hi Stew, Here's all kinds of info on fuschia...

Hi Stew,

Here's all kinds of info on fuschia that should help with your decision.
http://doityourself.com/flowers/fuchsiaflair.htm
http://www.fuchsiaclark.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Newt
Forum: Gardening 21-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Replies: 3
Posted By Newt
Hi KD, I realize you asked this a while ago, but...

Hi KD,

I realize you asked this a while ago, but here's some helpful info on growing lilacs.
http://spi.8m.com/care.htm
http://www.gardenersnet.com/lilac/lilac02.htm

Newt
Forum: Gardening 21-05-2005, 01:25 AM
Replies: 1
Posted By Newt
Hi Patrick, It will grow to 40'. I'm sure any...

Hi Patrick,

It will grow to 40'. I'm sure any arborist will say that it will pose a threat to the tree, but I don't know for sure.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/t/trac_jas.cfm

You might want to ask...
Forum: Gardening 21-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By Newt
Hi MJM, Is there any way you can let the soil...

Hi MJM,

Is there any way you can let the soil dry out when they are dormant? That seems to kill lots of them off. Another thing to do would be to either pull them when you see them or spray with...
Forum: Gardening 21-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Replies: 1
Posted By Newt
Hi Rosie, You can pinch them to make them fuller...

Hi Rosie,

You can pinch them to make them fuller if you like. From this site:
http://www.ecke.com/datasheets/ff_ffx_pcal.html
"Pinching

* Pinch out growing tip 1-2 weeks after transplanting.
Forum: Gardening 20-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Replies: 1
Posted By Newt
Hi FardinA, Possible fertilizer burn? Could the...

Hi FardinA,

Possible fertilizer burn? Could the burned areas be where you made a turn and applied too much? If the roots are brown then I'd say the grass is dead. Go ahead and remove the dead...
Forum: Gardening 20-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Replies: 7
Posted By Newt
If you are going to throw peanuts, be sure they...

If you are going to throw peanuts, be sure they aren't in their cases as those will get buried. Use hulled/shelled peanuts. Another option would be to feed them hulled sunflower seeds. The birds...
Forum: Gardening 20-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By Newt
Hi Rhonda, I agree, go ahead and...

Hi Rhonda,

I agree, go ahead and plant.
http://www.dutchgardens.com/gardening/content.asp?copy_id=5323

Newt
Forum: Gardening 20-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By Newt
Hi Tom, If it smells rotten, then it probably...

Hi Tom,

If it smells rotten, then it probably is. You don't say if it's in the ground or a pot. GENTLY scrape a branch to see if there is any green just under the bark. If so, it's still alive. ...
Forum: Gardening 20-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Replies: 5
Posted By Newt
Hi Jay, You don't say where you live so a couple...

Hi Jay,

You don't say where you live so a couple of these may not fit your hardiness zone if you are in the US. Here's what I...
Forum: Gardening 20-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By Newt
Keith, You are very welcome! Newt

Keith,
You are very welcome!
Newt
Forum: Gardening 20-05-2005, 05:37 AM
Replies: 3
Posted By Newt
Hi Keith, Just put them in the soil and in about...

Hi Keith,

Just put them in the soil and in about 5 years you should see flowers. This site is for tulips, but the process is the same.
http://www.actahort.org/books/23/23_68.htm

Newt
Forum: Gardening 20-05-2005, 05:32 AM
Replies: 5