Showing results 1 to 25 of 45
Search took 20.49 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: old perennial
Forum: United Kingdom 03-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Replies: 11
Posted By old perennial
If your going to the trouble of scarifying your...

If your going to the trouble of scarifying your lawn then you may as well go the whole hog and aeriate it too. After spikeing, top dress with a mixture of peat, JInumber 1 and river sand and brush it...
Forum: United Kingdom 25-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Replies: 10
Posted By old perennial
slug pellets

Read an Interesting article the other day about slug pellets. people who use them are inclined to give it a bit more than it says on the packet as they think it will o a better job - not so.

Slug...
Forum: United Kingdom 25-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Replies: 1
Posted By old perennial
Wait until autumn now. Dig a trench around the...

Wait until autumn now. Dig a trench around the bush a bit like a moat. thenget a spade beneath the root system. You are trying to get a cloth or polythene sheet underneath th ewhole plant before...
Forum: United Kingdom 19-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Replies: 7
Posted By old perennial
If you planted them last autumn to be eaten in...

If you planted them last autumn to be eaten in spring then they will be running to seed now. If they were planetd thisyear and are 'bursting' may be due to period of drout followed by heavy water. ...
Forum: Lawns 19-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Replies: 5
Posted By old perennial
[]If the rain doesnt come after applying granules...

[]If the rain doesnt come after applying granules to the lawn the pellets rest on th eleaf base. The sun comes out and scortches the leaf turning it yellow. either water after application or use a...
Forum: United Kingdom 27-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By old perennial
If you leave a 10litre bucket bythe compost heap,...

If you leave a 10litre bucket bythe compost heap, then when you get taken short, just pee into the bucket '[ which will be full of rainwater] then when the heap is a bit of the dry side, just pour it...
Forum: United Kingdom 07-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Replies: 15
Posted By old perennial
Thats the problem with these all in one...

Thats the problem with these all in one treatments. Always judge which is the bigger portion - grass or weeds? before applying. Then you'll know what will be left, grass or soil!

Moss is a 'short...
Forum: United Kingdom 07-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Replies: 10
Posted By old perennial
The term organic gardening covers such a wide set...

The term organic gardening covers such a wide set of asperations. To some it means growing veg without using artificle fertilizers or using insecticides etc. But if you widen it to include the...
Forum: United Kingdom 07-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Replies: 8
Posted By old perennial
Im going to try to get a picture of this...

Im going to try to get a picture of this superspray onto this site but not sure what im doing!!

http://www.superspray.co.uk/feeding%20long%20lawn.JPG
Forum: United Kingdom 07-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Replies: 8
Posted By old perennial
The scarifying in spring really works treat as...

The scarifying in spring really works treat as to enhancing thehealth of ones lawn as it allows moisture and oxygen to get into the base of the grass.

I dont use weed killers but prefer to remove...
Forum: United Kingdom 28-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Replies: 16
Posted By old perennial
I too have a lot of squirrels. I cover my veg...

I too have a lot of squirrels. I cover my veg deep beds with fine plastic netting which keeps them off [works with pigeons too!

I hang a strong bird feeder which has a perforated tube with pot top...
Forum: Lawns 28-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By old perennial
I think that the layer of sharp sand will give...

I think that the layer of sharp sand will give far too much drainage and starve the turf of water.

Sharp sand is ideal for adding openess, air and making soil freer draining say in heavy areas. ...
Forum: United Kingdom 17-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Replies: 9
Posted By old perennial
Ideally first job to double dig ie two spade...

Ideally first job to double dig ie two spade depths deep. One time only job

Start a compost heap and add all vegetation from the garden and kitchen. This can be used as a soil conditioner to be...
Forum: United Kingdom 29-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Replies: 1
Posted By old perennial
Lawn reseeding tip

larger individial weeds can be cut out of the lawn with a long blade but can leave quite a large space behind of non grass. Usually one must fill with compost and reseed.

Try making grass plugs by...
Forum: United Kingdom 06-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Replies: 5
Posted By old perennial
I have four flowers on my magnolia tree!!!

I have four flowers on my magnolia tree!!!
Forum: United Kingdom 06-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Replies: 17
Posted By old perennial
Difficult to understand the application. Whats...

Difficult to understand the application. Whats the problem with grass and weeds near wood. The wood would have been better 'pressure treated' with presevertive if its in contact with the ground. ...
Forum: United Kingdom 06-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Replies: 0
Posted By old perennial
B&Q charge for car parking?

My local B&Q store just gave me a 75 parking charge for parking my car in their car park last Sunday morning between 7.30am and 7.54 am. They dont open until 10a.m. so I wasnt obstructing potential...
Forum: United Kingdom 22-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By old perennial
[QUOTE=greenboot;723382]This is a first post to...

[QUOTE=greenboot;723382]This is a first post to this forum but I would like to request some detailed advice

Our garden is in a heathland area near Bagshot Sand but the site was built up 10 years ago...
Forum: United Kingdom 22-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Replies: 18
Posted By old perennial
[QUOTE=Lardman;723337]Im a little suck with this...

[QUOTE=Lardman;723337]Im a little suck with this one so any help would be useful.

Bit of background.

I have one problem neighbour which I suppose over 30 years and bordering 5
properties isnt too...
Forum: United Kingdom 20-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Replies: 7
Posted By old perennial
What ever greenhouse you buy you will always wish...

What ever greenhouse you buy you will always wish you had bought a larger one the following year. So my advice is that if you think you need a 6 x 8 then buy a 12 x 8! Save you a lot of worry and...
Forum: United Kingdom 20-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Replies: 4
Posted By old perennial
[QUOTE=Sam1974x;722593]I have recently joined the...

[QUOTE=Sam1974x;722593]I have recently joined the forum and have posted several times but no reply

:(

The problem I have is with the rain we have had the last few days, my lupins are all lying...
Forum: United Kingdom 19-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Replies: 7
Posted By old perennial
Nature are fantastic! I made a small one only...

Nature are fantastic! I made a small one only say 1 sq m surface area but had a depth of 500mm at one end with a shelf only 50mm at the other. I put two small tiddler goldfish to eat the mossys. ...
Forum: United Kingdom 15-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Replies: 5
Posted By old perennial
These battery sprayers are for use with...

These battery sprayers are for use with waterbased fence coatings from Ronseal and Cuprinol. They work fine on those kinds of products but should not be used on creasote. In fact these days there...
Forum: United Kingdom 15-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Replies: 7
Posted By old perennial
Generally speaking, all greenhouses use the same...

Generally speaking, all greenhouses use the same profile or cross sections so why not study a neighbours greenhouse and sketch what the end bars look like etc and it might make it clearer.
I always...
Forum: United Kingdom 11-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By old perennial
Thanks for that Granity, you live and learn!

Thanks for that Granity, you live and learn!
Showing results 1 to 25 of 45

Forum Jump