Showing results 1 to 25 of 25
Search took 6.49 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mitch
Forum: Lawns 31-07-2007, 01:46 AM
Replies: 6
Posted By Mitch
Day lilies aren't blooming.

Are the unopened buds falling off of the stalks? They just may be slow. =)

No, the buds seem firm and "healthy" looking.
The foliage is also healthy looking.

How deep below the soil line...
Forum: Lawns 31-07-2007, 01:43 AM
Replies: 6
Posted By Mitch
Something similar to Black-Eye Susans?

What colors are you actually looking for.

I wouldn't mind some purples.

And, by 'similar to', are you
wanting "daisy" shaped flowers?

Actually, I meant I like the way Susans stay in their...
Forum: Lawns 30-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By Mitch
Something similar to Black-Eye Susans?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:02:23 GMT, Steve wrote:

Coneflowers?
http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/info/flowers/perennials/coneflower.asp

Coneflowers are pretty, but they're spent by...
Forum: Lawns 30-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By Mitch
garden pest question?

Moles are prolific. I was at a friend's just yesterday. She showed
me the damage a single mole cause before the dog finally got it.

It tunneled completely around the perimeter of their house. The...
Forum: Lawns 30-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By Mitch
Something similar to Black-Eye Susans?

I saw some flowers that looked like purple Black-Eye Susans.
It turns out they were purple Coneflowers.

Is there something similar to Black-Eye Susans, but in different
colors? Something perennial...
Forum: Lawns 30-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By Mitch
Day lilies aren't blooming.

To me it sounds as though they are not getting enough moisture at root
zone - very important even if they do like full sun.

Thanks...I'll try more water.
I should have mentioned that they were...
Forum: Lawns 29-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By Mitch
Day lilies aren't blooming.

BTW...they are 3 years old. They did fine the first 2 years and I had
to deadhead them every day.
Forum: Lawns 29-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By Mitch
Day lilies aren't blooming.

I have day lilies in several areas.

They are all doing fine, except 3 that I have on the south side of the
house. They are in full sun.

They have big buds on them, but they don't open.

There are...
Forum: Edible Gardening 26-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Replies: 28
Posted By Mitch
Marigolds deter Rabbits?

I've been told that Marigolds planted around a garden will keep rabbits out.
Has anyone had any experience with this? Confirm or debunk?

I tried this once, and the rabbits ate the marigolds. ...
Forum: Edible Gardening 26-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By Mitch
Japanese Beetles...how much longer!?

They are leaving my basil alone, but everyday I am picking them off the
roses and strawberries!

They've never touched my apple trees before, but this year they
decimated them before I even knew...
Forum: Edible Gardening 26-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By Mitch
Japanese Beetles...how much longer!?

Anyone know how much longer I can expect these little pukes to be
buzzing around, eating my basil?

Northwestern Illinois, Zone 5.
Forum: Lawns 13-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Replies: 4
Posted By Mitch
Brick patio: weeds out of control

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 16:00:03 -0400, (Mel M Kelly)
wrote:

Rock salt

Interesting. Just water it in?
Forum: Lawns 13-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Replies: 4
Posted By Mitch
Brick patio: weeds out of control

I have a 1,200 sq ft brick patio.
The weeds are rampant. I have to spray the entire patio with Roundup
every 2 weeks.

Is there anything I can sweep into the cracks to keep new weeds...
Forum: Gardening 20-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Replies: 22
Posted By Mitch
Problems with Mantis tiller

Have you taken a good look at the exhaust/muffler?

Yeah, that was one of the first things I checked.

I pulled the plastic stops off of the carb adjustment screws.
By backing them out about 1 1/2...
Forum: Gardening 18-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Replies: 22
Posted By Mitch
Problems with Mantis tiller

On 17 May 2007 15:47:29 -0700, Frank wrote:

You might try a big shot of carb cleaner additive in the gas.

Hmmm, I'd like to give that a try. I have something called...
Forum: Gardening 17-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Replies: 22
Posted By Mitch
Problems with Mantis tiller

I had the same problem several years ago and gave the [email protected]#$%^ thing to
the local thrift store and went out and bought a Troybilt Pony. Never
had a problem again.

Yep, I regret the purchase. ...
Forum: Gardening 17-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Replies: 22
Posted By Mitch
Problems with Mantis tiller

I also went through the carb adjustment procedure per the manual.
Forum: Gardening 17-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Replies: 22
Posted By Mitch
Problems with Mantis tiller

I have a 2-year-old Mantis mini-tiller with the 2-stroke engine.

I can't get it to run! It starts easily, and can idle forever, but as
soon as I give it throttle, it dies.

I've replaced the fuel...
Forum: Edible Gardening 01-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By Mitch
Is it too early for herbs?

I'm in NW Illinois. I'm getting antsy for fresh herbs. I usually buy
the plants at the garden store and transplant them to large pots on
the deck for the Summer.

Is it too early?
Forum: Edible Gardening 29-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Replies: 10
Posted By Mitch
Cicadas are coming soon

I'm in central Indiana. The Cicada invasion in 2004 made headline news
across the country because both types of Cicadas cycled together and the
noise and *smell* were incredible.

Where was...

Forum: Edible Gardening 27-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Replies: 27
Posted By Mitch
Hydroponics

Actually, I just found a product called WaterFarm by General
Hydroponics.

Geez, these things are popular with the pot crowd.
Just Googling for info, I feel like they're going to kick down...
Forum: Edible Gardening 26-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Replies: 21
Posted By Mitch
Work, Work, Work

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:50:43 -0400, "Hud"

I didn't realize how much work it is to put in a small 5'x8' garden! The
hardest part was stripping the sod and turning...
Forum: Edible Gardening 26-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Replies: 27
Posted By Mitch
Hydroponics

There is no magic involved. You can use buckets, pipes, rain gutters,
whatever.

Actually, I just found a product called WaterFarm by General
Hydroponics. It costs $50, and includes everything,...
Forum: Edible Gardening 25-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Replies: 27
Posted By Mitch
Hydroponics

Dick,

I'm looking for the same info.
I want to put together something small, just to grow herbs.
I think it would be silly to pay $150 for the Aerogarden if I can put
something together in a plastic...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 25

Forum Jump