Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 39.29 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: songbird[_2_]
Forum: Edible Gardening 14-10-2019, 12:47 PM
Replies: 1
Posted By songbird[_2_]
close to frost weather

might happen tonight.

we've had a nice spell of a few weeks and i sure wouldn't
mind a few more just like this as i can get so much done.

not ready for cold weather yet, but had to turn the...
Forum: Edible Gardening 10-10-2019, 04:37 PM
Replies: 31
Posted By songbird[_2_]
organic matter ???

T wrote:
The plan is to water every three weeks after a
rain event. Otherwise let the rain do its
thing.

no idea how dry it might get there in the winter
but around here it rarely is...
Forum: Edible Gardening 10-10-2019, 04:25 PM
Replies: 31
Posted By songbird[_2_]
organic matter ???

T wrote:
songbird wrote:
that'll do it! they turn a pretty interesting
color of orange if you cut them and leave them to
oxidize in the air for a few minutes.

They still did...
Forum: Edible Gardening 10-10-2019, 02:15 AM
Replies: 31
Posted By songbird[_2_]
organic matter ???

T wrote:
On 10/9/19 8:55 AM, songbird wrote:

I had a little frog for a time last year!
that's fantastic!:) do you know what species it
was?

No clue. He did not come back this...
Forum: Edible Gardening 09-10-2019, 04:55 PM
Replies: 31
Posted By songbird[_2_]
organic matter ???

T wrote:
From what I have heard on youtube, a good garden is
basically growing on top of a worm bed.

if you look into the biology of worms you find
out that they are little bacteria...
Forum: Edible Gardening 09-10-2019, 02:35 AM
Replies: 17
Posted By songbird[_2_]
All good things must come to an end

Here, not so much. The cold weather, that is. I don't expect any
sure-enough freezing temperatures until Febrary but sometimes they
surprise us by showing up in...
Forum: Edible Gardening 07-10-2019, 02:14 PM
Replies: 31
Posted By songbird[_2_]
organic matter ???

T wrote:
Ya. I have heard the bad stuff can ruin your garden!

I will make sure and get something that has been hot
composted.

some chemicals are unaffected by hot composting.
Forum: Edible Gardening 07-10-2019, 02:01 PM
Replies: 31
Posted By songbird[_2_]
organic matter ???

T wrote:
....smothering...
I tried that on some little trees I am truing to get rid
of. First I cut them back to the ground. Then I placed
a big old piece of cardboard on top of them with a...
Forum: Edible Gardening 06-10-2019, 04:29 PM
Replies: 31
Posted By songbird[_2_]
organic matter ???

Pavel314 wrote:
I usually till it into the soil. My wife sometimes uses it as a mulch during the growing season to smother the weeds.

if you can find some plain cardboard (usually places...
Forum: Edible Gardening 05-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Replies: 31
Posted By songbird[_2_]
organic matter ???

T wrote:

What is the best way to get this kind of stuff into
my ground pots? Can I buy a bag of this stuff on
Amazon? What is it called?
The stuff he had was from down under.

Forum: Edible Gardening 03-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Replies: 17
Posted By songbird[_2_]
All good things must come to an end

T wrote:
I keep wondering if I can buy worms and toss them in
all my holes. So far the only thing I can find are
fishing worms.

you can, but it would likely be a waste of $.

adult...
Forum: Edible Gardening 03-10-2019, 01:01 PM
Replies: 17
Posted By songbird[_2_]
All good things must come to an end

T wrote:
Well how about that. The weather service said we had
SEVERAL days at sub freezing and the kids did not die.
Huh!

everything here needs water wings. more rain still
in the...
Forum: Edible Gardening 30-09-2019, 01:02 PM
Replies: 17
Posted By songbird[_2_]
All good things must come to an end

T wrote:
The weather service said it got down to 28F last night. But
nothing froze. We did have winds about 20 mph. I wonder if
that had anything to do with it. Tonight is suppose to...
Forum: Edible Gardening 29-09-2019, 02:56 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By songbird[_2_]
Green mulch

Most folks here (western NC) plant winter rye this time of year, then mow it and turn it under in the spring.

winter wheat or winter rye (the grains) will work
for...
Forum: Edible Gardening 29-09-2019, 02:53 PM
Replies: 17
Posted By songbird[_2_]
All good things must come to an end

Pavel314 wrote:
I wouldn't have thought it got so cold so soon up there.

some of my garden friends up in Idaho have already had
snow on the ground this past week.

here we have two days...
Forum: Edible Gardening 24-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By songbird[_2_]
bean season

I planted 12 different pumpkins/winter-squash this year. Like you, I think I'll plant just a few of our favorites next year. It gets kind of confusing, following the vines from...
Forum: Edible Gardening 23-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By songbird[_2_]
bean season

well, actually it has been bean season for a while
now, :) but in the scramble of the past few days
trying to get all the gardens picked through before
the rains came along it seemed extra...
Forum: Edible Gardening 13-09-2019, 09:32 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By songbird[_2_]
Garden Rotation

Hul Tytus wrote:
Where are you? I'm in the Ohio river valley and if you drop a seed,
you have to be careful to step aside.

mid-Michigan. things grow well here most of the time
other than the...
Forum: Edible Gardening 08-09-2019, 10:40 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By songbird[_2_]
Garden Rotation

Pavel314 wrote:
In a few years, we'll probably switch the pumpkin patch with vegetable right.

i try to rotate everything each season, but in
a few gardens the soil is so poor that i...
Forum: Edible Gardening 08-09-2019, 02:06 PM
Replies: 5
Posted By songbird[_2_]
Fertilizer question

T wrote:
When the time comes, do I dig it in or just pour it on?

directions on the package, depends upon how you
plan on using it.

songbird
Forum: Edible Gardening 07-09-2019, 01:47 PM
Replies: 5
Posted By songbird[_2_]
Fertilizer question

T wrote:
Hi All,

It is getting time for me to replant my garlic.

I will probably be fertilizing the soil a week before hand
with this guy unless you guys tell me otherwise:

Forum: Edible Gardening 05-09-2019, 04:56 AM
Replies: 16
Posted By songbird[_2_]
Just some garden talk

Frank wrote:
blossom end rot was just calcium deficiency. I've dealt with both.

BER is a calcium deficiency, but why any plant
can have that happen can be caused by more than one
factor.

Forum: Edible Gardening 04-09-2019, 02:38 PM
Replies: 1
Posted By songbird[_2_]
Early Harvest

Pavel314 wrote:
A couple of pictures from September 2.

Some of the winter squash vines had died out already so we picked the fruit. The larger pumpkins are still growing but the smaller...
Forum: Edible Gardening 04-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Replies: 16
Posted By songbird[_2_]
Just some garden talk

T wrote:
Hi All,

Well, since doing this for eight years or so, this is
the first time I have feral tomato plants growing
in my garden. I noticed after it got hot in August,
they popped...
Forum: Edible Gardening 04-09-2019, 02:27 PM
Replies: 16
Posted By songbird[_2_]
Just some garden talk

T wrote:
On 9/3/19 5:11 PM, T wrote:
On¬*the¬*California¬*(Anaheim)¬*pepper¬*front,¬*last¬*year¬*a¬*got
about¬*ten.¬*¬*Max¬*was¬*about¬*three¬*inches.¬*¬*This¬*year,¬*I¬*have
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100

Forum Jump