Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.39 seconds.
Forum: Ponds (moderated) 05-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Replies: 14
Posted By [email protected]
Looking for old friends and pond page links

http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/mypond.htm
Ingrid

Just curious if any of you have continued with your personal pond...
Forum: Ponds (moderated) 05-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Replies: 14
Posted By [email protected]
Hydroponics and Ponds

Here in Milwaukee we get to hear all the time about fish/plant combos due
to Will
Allens thing he's got...
Forum: Ponds (moderated) 05-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
Snow.. or not?

its not el nino, it is more humidity in air making bigger snows and rains. OTOH, we
have had a pretty mild winter with only 2 bigger snows this year. snow drops are up
and blooming, rest is poking...
Forum: Gardening 04-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
interesting horticultural connections with a CSI episode

it is soooo good to hear from you. the NY CSI is the only one I dont watch. And
they should have used E. coli wash down from the cattle, not botulism. the bacteria
make botulism are obligate...
Forum: Gardening 04-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Replies: 25
Posted By [email protected]
Growing Tobacco

just get TMV free seed. it is just as likely that the tomatoes, etc will carry it to
the tobacco. actually it takes a lot of mechanical damage to introduce. tobacco
must be hand suckered to get...
Forum: Gardening 04-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Replies: 25
Posted By [email protected]
Growing Tobacco

its the sugar and carbs that will kill you. not just stop support for corn syrup,
tax the hell out of it. Ingrid

Tobacco...
Forum: Gardening 04-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
Is Double Digging Worth All The Extra Effort?

my itty bitty back yard
http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/bkyd/backyard.htm
been trying to update including the new fruit trees.
the figs were loaded with both breba and fall crop, I just ate and...
Forum: Gardening 04-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
Is Double Digging Worth All The Extra Effort?

I absolutely agree. raised beds with no digging is gentler and kinder to worms and
other beneficial critters and doesnt bring the weeds up to the surface. Ingrid

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 19:54:07...
Forum: Gardening 04-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By [email protected]
Millers?

bought from them once. never again. their root stock was a joke.
Ingrid

anyone buy from Millers? i'm looking mostly at...
Forum: Gardening 04-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
Is Double Digging Worth All The Extra Effort? (Charlie)

the problem is that the drainage is only good in the area you double dig. it will
still be surrounded by heavy clay that will hold the water like a big "pot".

what my mother did was build up beds...
Forum: Ponds (moderated) 04-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Replies: 22
Posted By [email protected]
Further data on the Mississippi, the Great Lakes and invasive species

Chicago draws their drinking water from the lake. they changed direction of the
river so their sewage would run to the Mississippi. then they sued Milwaukee for
polluting the lake when big storms...
Forum: Gardening 21-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Replies: 25
Posted By [email protected]
Greenhouse heating question

yes, plants need oxygen all night long this is when they make sugar.
In the long run it is better to stop air movement from outside in. that is greater
heat loss than conduction thru plastic or...
Forum: Ponds (moderated) 20-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Replies: 27
Posted By [email protected]
Cold!

It has been unusually mild this year, but I do have a 500 watt heater in the pond.

I dont think koi pox ever goes away. I have one with a good dose on his tail. It
doesnt seem to change with...
Forum: Ponds (moderated) 20-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Replies: 27
Posted By [email protected]
pounding on ice

fish have both very good ears and the lateral line which is exquisitely sensitive to
pressure. pounding on ice can kill the fish. the fastest easiest safest way to make
a hole in ice is a drill...
Forum: Ponds (moderated) 16-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Replies: 27
Posted By [email protected]
Cold!

Well covered my pond finally this last Saturday. Went out to check the temp on the
pond Monday (went from 42 to 46 in 1 day) and found my first dead koi in 8 or 9
years. used 2 different ammonia...
Forum: Gardening 13-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Replies: 21
Posted By [email protected]
mouse infestation

We have quite a few birds and actually had mice living inside the big flight cage so
they were closer to the seed. I actually killed a good number by hitting them with
my fist and other hard...
Forum: Gardening 13-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
Fruit trees

on youtube there are videos of experts trimming fruit trees. and more important, how
to thin the fruit. dwarf trees are precocious and will set a huge load of fruit and
basically kill itself trying...

Forum: Ponds (moderated) 20-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Replies: 11
Posted By [email protected]
Pond Predator Unk

something in the weasel family. they always start by chomping off the head. INgrid

I came home to something unusual today. ...
Forum: Ponds (moderated) 05-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Replies: 7
Posted By [email protected]
Baby toads

you really need to size these to something around 600 x 800. Ingrid

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:10:04 EDT, Jim Elbrecht ...
Forum: Ponds (moderated) 05-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Lotus blooms - finally!

LOL... this year I drove by Lake Winnebago (big lake in middle of Wisconsin) and
where the highway runs west of the Lake is a big marshy area that gives out into a
wide open water where there is this...
Forum: Ponds (moderated) 05-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Moving some flora and fauna indoors for the winter

http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/VF/veggie_filter.html
altho these days it is simpler. I use a 150 gallon rubbermaid with an airstone, a
tiny pump to just move the water around and 2 shop lights to...
Forum: Gardening 05-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Replies: 15
Posted By [email protected]
Keeping strawberries fresh longer?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/26/dining/26curi.html?ref=dining
try this

Strawberries for some reason only last perhaps 4...
Forum: Gardening 05-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
Prolonging the life of berries

excellent article. kitchen science

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:32:34 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"...
Forum: Ponds (moderated) 05-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Replies: 14
Posted By [email protected]
Pond cleaning day

I dont do weekly 10%. I change maybe 25% in spring and fall. Because I use a veggie
filter the plants are sucking out all kinds of minerals. Hormones are organic and
good bacteria break them down....
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100

Forum Jump