Showing results 1 to 25 of 35
Search took 2.99 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: john west[_2_]
Forum: United Kingdom 22-07-2020, 01:02 PM
Replies: 11
Posted By john west[_2_]
Long hedge with minimum maintenance

Someone we know if having to install a hedge due to neighbouring
developments some 50 metres long and they want it to be eventually six
feet tall.
Getting on in years they need it to be essentially...
Forum: United Kingdom 21-02-2020, 10:07 AM
Replies: 8
Posted By john west[_2_]
Adding future nutrition to pots

Would adding a sprinkle of Growmore to the top of the soil in the pot be
an satisfactory alternative?
Forum: United Kingdom 20-02-2020, 09:37 PM
Replies: 4
Posted By john west[_2_]
Potting Camellia

Its time to put some of our purchased Camellias into larger plots.

Would mixing half my garden soil (which i'm told is fairly neutral) and
half ericaceous compost be about right as a mix?

Also i...
Forum: United Kingdom 19-02-2020, 12:28 PM
Replies: 8
Posted By john west[_2_]
Adding future nutrition to pots

We want to put some bamboo plants and also some Conifers in large
buckets (holes drilled for drainage).

Would wood chip (or anything else) be useful to add to the bottom of the
buckets to provide...
Forum: United Kingdom 15-07-2019, 11:46 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By john west[_2_]
Japanese Knotweed

On 14/04/2018 15:19, David wrote:
Ca anyone help? We have just...
Forum: United Kingdom 23-06-2019, 12:57 PM
Replies: 9
Posted By john west[_2_]
Transportable Shed Base

A pal has offered to build a wooden shed for our allotment.

At some time in the future the shed will most likely need to be moved to
a different plot. It seems a good and inexpensive floor for the...
Forum: United Kingdom 08-02-2019, 02:24 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By john west[_2_]
Mixing Garden soil with Ericaceous Peat.

I have just bought a bag of Ericacous Compost to Repot some Camellias
from small pots to larger pots.

It says on the bag the contents are about 80% peat.

As i want to keep the camellias long term...
Forum: United Kingdom 24-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Replies: 32
Posted By john west[_2_]
Coffee grounds and slugs

On 17/11/2018 23:22, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 28 May 2018 17:46:32 GMT, David wrote:
Having been reminded that coffee grounds are a folk remedy for deterring
slugs, I looked it up online.

Forum: United Kingdom 24-11-2018, 08:51 PM
Replies: 5
Posted By john west[_2_]
Laying salt and cardboard to deal with invasion

Our plot at the allotment is bordered with a tall palisade metal fence
with masses of weeds and nettles etc poking through it.

we spend a lot of time trying to trim tall nettles through the narrow...
Forum: United Kingdom 29-09-2018, 10:28 PM
Replies: 4
Posted By john west[_2_]
Overflowing Compost Heaps

At our allotment most people have built compost heaps usually
constructed of three wooden pallets nailed together.
Most compost heaps are nearly overflowing and people are at a bit of
loss as to...
Forum: United Kingdom 03-06-2018, 10:13 PM
Replies: 1
Posted By john west[_2_]
Loosing our allotment to limited company

One allotment near to ours has already recently detached from our Local
Council to become a *Limited Company*.
When councils wash their hands of property (like for instance Local
Council Housing...
Forum: United Kingdom 27-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By john west[_2_]
This plant unknown

Would be very grateful if anyone could kindly identify the name of this
plant from this photo on the web hosting site below. Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/J5E6HNa
Forum: United Kingdom 11-04-2018, 01:35 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By john west[_2_]
A genuine Cox's Orange Pippin

Having spent part of my childhood in Kent, i know a genuine Cox's Orange
Pippin apple when i bite into one.
A while ago we bought a so called Cox's apple tree. While it had a hint
of the Cox's...

Forum: United Kingdom 08-04-2018, 09:36 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By john west[_2_]
Organising for Communal Duty

Places that contain a communal area like a kitchen, rest room etc; but
are within a community structure, like for instance a club or our
allotment do need a bit of organisation for 'cleaning...
Forum: United Kingdom 03-03-2018, 05:52 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By john west[_2_]
indoor plant disaster.

I have a number of indoor Hibiscus i have cared for over many years and
i water them by adding water to their saucers.

A week ago in a moment of complete idiocy i put in about a quarter of...
Forum: United Kingdom 31-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Replies: 11
Posted By john west[_2_]
Allotment Scorpion

Recently a Scorpion was reported seen on our Nature Garden at our North
London Allotment.

What kind of a risk might this pose to children visiting this part of
the allotment? And what steps if...
Forum: United Kingdom 31-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Replies: 17
Posted By john west[_2_]
Can we eat these.

Have tried the suggested hosting site and it works a treat. Thanks..
and to all.

Here is the photo:

https://ibb.co/hWGv4k

so its: to eat or not to eat ?
Forum: United Kingdom 30-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Replies: 17
Posted By john west[_2_]
Can we eat these.

On 30-Jul-17 6:22 PM, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
In a rarely used green space near...
Forum: United Kingdom 30-07-2017, 06:29 PM
Replies: 17
Posted By john west[_2_]
Can we eat these.

In a rarely used green space near us, is this tree with a fruit that
look a bit like oval shaped cherries. Are they OK to eat ?

click on this tinypic photo hosting site to see...
Forum: United Kingdom 27-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Replies: 13
Posted By john west[_2_]
Setting up shared discussion Access

Would it be possible to set up an *easily shared* email address or forum
for all members of an allotment.

Essentially it would have to be very *easy* for people to *set up* and
operate, since many...
Forum: United Kingdom 25-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Replies: 5
Posted By john west[_2_]
Compost heaps spreading blight

On 22-Jun-17 4:37 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:

At our allotment there seems to be some confusion over what to do with
the woody stems of potato plants when...
Forum: United Kingdom 22-06-2017, 11:04 AM
Replies: 5
Posted By john west[_2_]
Compost heaps spreading blight

At our allotment there seems to be some confusion over what to do with
the woody stems of potato plants when they are finished with.

Before burning they need to be dried out. Some are saying a...
Forum: United Kingdom 02-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Replies: 13
Posted By john west[_2_]
A Ready Hedge

We wish to build a long hedge (non spiky) that keeps its leaves on all
winter. It will kept at about 5 feet tall.

Is there another *common* hedge around that i can readily snaffle some
cuttings...
Forum: United Kingdom 18-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By john west[_2_]
storing vegetables

We have some apples, potatoes, marrow and squash products from the
allotment, which we wish to store.
we have a plastic 'garden tool' storage chest with a close fitting lid
and some bucket size...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 35

Forum Jump