Showing results 1 to 25 of 97
Search took 9.06 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Martin H. Eastburn
Forum: Roses 30-09-2010, 04:35 AM
Replies: 7
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Overwintering mini roses?

We had a few in a garden - edge of the Butterfly bed. THey lasted several
years, but a hard freeze got them and another rose. We don't - and should have
wrapped them up in blankets or other...
Forum: Roses 16-08-2010, 04:21 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Is it possible to grow a orange rose?

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/american/showrose.asp?showr=4790

http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/gardening/PD/31720/

Those in a couple of minutes - bound to be more full color ones as...
Forum: Roses 26-07-2010, 03:39 AM
Replies: 6
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Pruning Roses - newbie

Yes - don't leave much of a stick beyond the 5 leaf. This is all deadheading
or cutting off the flowers that are going bad and keeping them from growing
hips (bulb looking ) under the flow taking...
Forum: Roses 25-07-2010, 05:01 AM
Replies: 6
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Pruning Roses - newbie

I'll say two things -

We cut above the 5. We leave a half inch or just less.

A branch bud will grow from the leaf joint and in the direction
of the leaf. So you might want to pick the next one...
Forum: Roses 01-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Replies: 0
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Spring / Summer roses

Wonders never cease! After a fantastic first bloom in early spring -
we are getting a few to sprout and bloom again. Early summer halted them
but now some stormy rains they try to get going again...
Forum: Roses 10-06-2010, 03:47 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Small Roses

Hun - second thought - what greens a lawn - ammonium sulfate.
Perhaps the plants were given leaf growing chemical mix not flowers.

That might be your problem. Not knowing your yard or what...
Forum: Roses 04-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Small Roses

Not a grower but a plant and watcher :-)

Might have been a harsh cut back that did it. So much growth
to pull in energy that the blooms are small.

Around here the rain came early and things are...
Forum: Roses 19-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Replies: 4
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
What's wrong with my rose

Only a shot in the dark - is the rose root bound ?

How about are you using long term (rock or dissolve slow) fertilizer ?

The chemical mix might not be attuned to flowers but to green or only...
Forum: Roses 21-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
type of soil

We have great results with a mixture of sand, clay
medium ground wood chips all mixed. The roses we have
are in the 5 year and are in full bloom. Reds, Yellows,
Purples, and specials. Even our Mr....
Forum: Roses 03-04-2010, 03:14 AM
Replies: 0
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Spring is here at last!

Lady banks - the no-thorns climber is in bloom. Many others are budding.

We noticed another part of town - full bloom in a fountain display in the center
of a yard. It might have been a...
Forum: Roses 03-04-2010, 03:08 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
grass clippings

I don't have a professional opinion, however I have heard that
composting material consumes nitrogen. I'd compost it for use
later in the summer.

Martin

Hi, I wonder if any...
Forum: Roses 19-11-2009, 02:28 AM
Replies: 3
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Questions About Blue Rose

Keep looking.

The issue with blue in nature and semiconductor lasers - (blue ray) - geometry!

The feature size is very very small. Red is large and yellow is medium.

Purples are available we have...
Forum: Roses 27-10-2009, 02:56 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Move a Rose

Not an expert here, but a reader for a while...

It has been said that one is not to plant a rose into a previous rose hole.

Something about plant disease. Easy in the pot- dump all and clean - put...
Forum: Roses 19-08-2009, 04:16 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
My question to hard

I'm here but with so many ISP's shutting down Usenet sites because
a few violated some laws. They are into other twitter and new junk - don't
understand our want and needs.

Anyway - So far in the...
Forum: Roses 13-08-2009, 03:17 AM
Replies: 3
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Searching for old (by age) roses

Sure - just not hard and back all the way.

If you need to take a cane back - do so.
Just don't cut off all the leaves because
it has to put energy into the roots for
growth and...
Forum: Roses 06-08-2009, 02:45 AM
Replies: 3
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Searching for old (by age) roses

Talk to the local Master Gardener or talk to a old Graveyard facility.
Many good people take cuttings and propagate roses that are at least
that old. Some are local found and some are imported by...
Forum: Roses 16-07-2009, 05:09 AM
Replies: 3
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Beetles

The Japanese Beetles we had in El Paso in the 50-60's were green backed
and rather jeweled looking. As a kid, they attacked our sun flowers
and we plucked them off (we wanted the seed..) and some we...
Forum: Roses 04-07-2009, 04:21 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
intro

Welcome.

There is a lot of good information if you can read older files.

Martin

greenreaper wrote:
Hi

i am new to this forum
Forum: Roses 29-06-2009, 03:46 AM
Replies: 1
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
New to Roses

Spectracide or like bug spray that the plants absorb - watering and rain
won't wash off. The roses will replace the bad leaves. Best to do it before
much growth in the spring. I have to do it...
Forum: Roses 04-06-2009, 04:45 AM
Replies: 3
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Climbing roses

Think of the various bushes that are made against a house - branch and
cover - think of the arch as a horizontal plane and run the cane as
young as possible - keep it moving in the right...
Forum: Roses 26-05-2009, 04:12 AM
Replies: 3
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
help needed

Make sure you don't over water.

Remember, once dug, the root has to re-grow. Perhaps that is going on.

If the dirt doesn't drain well - e.g. water in the hole - put a 2" plastic
pipe or a small...
Forum: Roses 22-05-2009, 03:46 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Rose Leaves being eaten.

Should have said :

http://extension.ag.uidaho.edu/nezperce/Horticulture/grasshopper_control.htm

Martin - I'm in Texas, Google is in San Jose Ca. :-)

Art Lindquist wrote:
Hello,

The...
Forum: Roses 22-05-2009, 03:45 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Rose Leaves being eaten.

Grass hoppers might not hang around long enough.

Spray with a systemic insect killer - so when they chew they take the hit.
Won't wash off.

Martin

Hello,
Forum: Roses 09-04-2009, 05:07 AM
Replies: 1
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
looking for a rose

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=11121

Hybrid Tea - 2' one.

Martin

Looking for a rose called Tzigane dates to 1951 and I had it in UK.
Please email at (...
Forum: Roses 08-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By Martin H. Eastburn
Lost a couple of roses over the winter

I'm in a very deep layer of old ocean/river bottom clay. Claybourne
group as I recall my Geo. Our roses sit in improved wood chip/sand/
black soil that is contained in a 3-4' bowl of brown clay. I...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 97

Forum Jump