GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   LILAC BUSH IN INDIANA (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/100792-lilac-bush-indiana.html)

Rodney Smith 31-07-2005 09:30 PM

LILAC BUSH IN INDIANA

When is the best time to trim back the Lilac bush ? I live in Indianapolis
Indiana

suzilem 31-07-2005 09:43 PM

"Rodney Smith" wrote in message
. ..
When is the best time to trim back the Lilac bush ? I live in Indianapolis
Indiana

Right after they finish blooming (i.e., about a month or so ago).

http://www.gardenersnet.com/lilac/lilac02.htm

Wooly 02-08-2005 12:59 PM

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 05:20:51 GMT, "Rodney Smith"
spewed forth :

thank you very much for the information im going to try to trim them back
now its getting way out of control :)

No such thing as an out-of-control lilac.

Wooly
Who misses the lilacs she grew up with in Illinois
But they just don't do well in Texas

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

Cindy 02-08-2005 06:43 PM

Rodney Smith wrote:
thank you very much for the information im going to try to trim them
back now its getting way out of control :)

To trim them it's best to cut out the oldest, largest stems at ground level,
no more than 1/3 of the plant at a time. Then keep doing a few every year
and they'll stay nice and neat and have lots of flowers.
Cindy