Old 22-08-2005, 03:08 AM
JKC

Default Q: Impact on soil (charcoal ashes and mothball)

Is it a bad idea to dump charcoal ashes on grass or flower garden after BBQ?
(Of course, I will wait until ashes are cold.)
I will spread them thin over an area, rather than in a heap.

I read on this NG that mothballs can be used to keep armadillos away. I
suspect they will melt down when it rains. Are they harmful to soil? Will
they kill my flowers or ruin the soil?

Old 22-08-2005, 03:44 AM
Victor Martinez

JKC wrote:
Is it a bad idea to dump charcoal ashes on grass or flower garden after BBQ?

Very.

I read on this NG that mothballs can be used to keep armadillos away. I
suspect they will melt down when it rains. Are they harmful to soil? Will
they kill my flowers or ruin the soil?

Well, they are considered to be hazardous waste and require special
handling (i.e. you're not supposed to just dump them in with your
regular trash). So I guess it's not ok to just dump them in the yard either.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he