Old 15-03-2003, 05:32 PM
James

Default picking a small tree

I need some help picking a tree that will hide a 4 foot chain
link fence (about 30 feet in lenght). I was thinking crate
mertyls...but being from the north I thought I'd ask for suggestions.
Something economical would be great. TIA for any help I receive.

please remove the ~

James
Old 15-03-2003, 05:45 PM
Diana Sledge

It's not really a tree, but nandina grows with abandon in my yard and
has green all year. Crepe myrtle will only hide the fence part of the
year.

Diana

Old 15-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Terry Horton

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 10:25:56 -0600, James wrote:

I need some help picking a tree that will hide a 4 foot chain
link fence (about 30 feet in lenght). I was thinking crate
mertyls...but being from the north I thought I'd ask for suggestions.
Something economical would be great. TIA for any help I receive.

Check out Texas mountain laurel. Some swaths of native pavonia,
acanthus, lantana, and skullcap, and a grouping of possumhaw out in
front, would add year-round color to your screen.
Old 15-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Terry Horton

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:38:29 GMT, Diana Sledge
wrote:

It's not really a tree, but nandina grows with abandon in my yard and
has green all year.

If you have any luck eradicating it, please let me know. :-)
Old 15-03-2003, 11:56 PM
animaux

Nandina domestica is an exotic invasive plant and should not be used. Some of the
more manageable nandina's are better, but are not tall enough. Wax myrtle is a good
evergreen shrub, so is evergreen sumac. Another shrub to look for is one of the many
varieties of viburnum. V.tinus 'Spring Bouquet' is a nice evergreen shrub which
grows rapidly and blooms in spring. Also V.burkwoodii and V. davidii are good
selections. If you can find rusty blackhaw viburnum, it is a native. Some of the
yaupon hollies are evergreen and wonderful.

Old 16-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Babberney

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 10:25:56 -0600, James wrote:

I need some help picking a tree that will hide a 4 foot chain
link fence (about 30 feet in lenght). I was thinking crate
mertyls...but being from the north I thought I'd ask for suggestions.
Something economical would be great. TIA for any help I receive.

please remove the ~

James

www.treefolks.com has a list of trees that are suitable, with a chart
to compare size and other characteristics. Yaupon holly is one
year-round green shrub/tree that springs to mind. Wax myrtle is also
recomended, but I don't know if it drops its leaves over winter or
not.

Keith

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html
Old 17-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Steve Coyle

Howdy folks,
In regards to this message:

James

www.treefolks.com has a list of trees that are suitable, with a chart
to compare size and other characteristics. Yaupon holly is one
year-round green shrub/tree that springs to mind. Wax myrtle is also
recomended, but I don't know if it drops its leaves over winter or
not.

My impression was that Treefolks was closing it's doors due to loss
of funding. ( I hope I'm wrong )
The city of Austin Grow Green program has a plant guide that is good
and lists small trees for Travis county. Check them out at:
www.growgreen.com

take care,
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com

Picking right location vital to fruit tree success (landsteward article) Earl@Greenwood Gardening 0 23-09-2005 05:11 PM
"Picking a tutti-frutti tree" Mike Plant Science 5 15-06-2004 02:06 PM
picking a small tree in Austin Texas James Lawns 1 05-05-2003 11:58 PM
picking a small tree James Texas 6 05-04-2003 12:11 PM
picking a small tree in Austin Texas James Lawns 1 19-03-2003 01:44 AM