GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Where to find a Texas Whitebud tree? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/107857-where-find-texas-whitebud-tree.html)

Charlie[_1_] 10-10-2005 01:53 AM

Where to find a Texas Whitebud tree?

I can't find any more than online wholesale nurseries offering them. Anybody in the Austin/San Antonio/Houston area know of a retail source? Local nurseries haven't even heard of them. Thanks.

Bourne Identity 10-10-2005 02:21 PM

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 00:53:31 +0000, Charlie
wrote:

I can't find any more than online wholesale nurseries offering them.
Anybody in the Austin/San Antonio/Houston area know of a retail source?
Local nurseries haven't even heard of them. Thanks.

Can you please give a botanical name for this tree. It would be
easier to help you.

dt 10-10-2005 05:07 PM

wrote:

I can't find any more than online wholesale nurseries offering them.
Anybody in the Austin/San Antonio/Houston area know of a retail source?
Local nurseries haven't even heard of them. Thanks.

Can you please give a botanical name for this tree. It would be
easier to help you.

"Whitebud" doesn't show up on either utexas.edu or
tamu.edu.

BTW, Charlie, just curious as to why you're
posting from gardenbanter.co.uk?

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/

BJ in Texas 10-10-2005 05:41 PM

Charlie wrote:
|| I can't find any more than online wholesale nurseries
|| offering them. Anybody in the Austin/San Antonio/Houston area
|| know of a retail source? Local nurseries haven't even heard
|| of them. Thanks.

If such a thing exists, it is likely a sport of the Texas Redbud
or
you have some local name that is not commonly used here for
something else. A botanical name would be useful.

--
"Death is just Mother Nature's way of telling you to Slow Down."

Charlie[_1_] 11-10-2005 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJ in Texas
Charlie wrote:
|| I can't find any more than online wholesale nurseries
|| offering them. Anybody in the Austin/San Antonio/Houston area
|| know of a retail source? Local nurseries haven't even heard
|| of them. Thanks.

If such a thing exists, it is likely a sport of the Texas Redbud
or
you have some local name that is not commonly used here for
something else. A botanical name would be useful.

I've seen the botanical name two ways: Cercis Canadensis Alba var. Texensis, or Cercis Reniformis Alba, var. Texensis. Here's a link I found with both; but they show the former as a white Oklahoma Redbud, and the latter as Texas Whitebud. I also found a commercial grower in Stephenville that carried them, but to the trade only.

http://www.havenyield.com/master_list.asp

Charlie[_1_] 11-10-2005 02:12 AM

First off, I am in Texas-south of Gonzales. I found this site when searching for nurseries in Austin. Apparently someone asked the same question here, and it showed up as a link. I couldn't really understand why a UK site would have a forum for Texans or North Carolinians, but I joined to be able to get help from relatively local folks.

So y'all are not members here? Am I missing something? I'm not the most internet-savvy person.

dt 11-10-2005 02:50 PM

Charlie wrote:
dt Wrote:

-

-

http://www.thehungersite.com/First off, I am in Texas-south of Gonzales. I found this site when

searching for nurseries in Austin. Apparently someone asked the same
question here, and it showed up as a link. I couldn't really understand
why a UK site would have a forum for Texans or North Carolinians, but I
joined to be able to get help from relatively local folks.

So y'all are not members here? Am I missing something? I'm not the most
internet-savvy person.

Hey, any way you get here works. ;-) I assume
gardenbanter is web-based? Most of us get here by
reading the newsgroup from our isp's "news
server". That would involve figuring out how to
connect to your isp's news server, and figuring
out which program you want to use to read it.

South of Gonzales, eh? Hochheim? Cheapside? Cuero?

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/

Charlie[_1_] 11-10-2005 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dt
Charlie wrote:
dt Wrote:

-
wrote:

-
[...]

Kinda between Concrete and Cuero. Maybe I should investigate the newsgroup angle...

wronp 12-10-2005 01:04 AM

Charlie wrote:
dt Wrote:
Charlie wrote:-
dt Wrote:
-
-
wrote:

-
[...]

Here's another link and they have them forsale.
http://www.cleveleys.co.uk/nhn/Texas_Whitebud.php

Charlie[_1_] 12-10-2005 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wronp
Charlie wrote:
dt Wrote:
Charlie wrote:-
dt Wrote:
-
-
wrote:

-
[...]

Thanks, but that just links back to Nature Hills-and they're out. Maybe I should just call that commercial nursery in Stephenville and try and reason with them.